• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Decided to have a yard sail.

Nope, the previous owner lived in FL

Florida reg? You been holdin' out on us? :)
OM

But we will be there for a month before Christmas and then another month in March/April

Summers will be in the North Channel of Lake Huron and N Michigan.

You're trucking it between FL and MI?

Well, we will be pulling it with our Toyota Tundra like we did last week when we brought it home. :)

Not sure if I would call it "trucking" but yes, FL in colder times, Ontario and N. Michigan during the warmer months.:thumb

Bud, be very careful putting that into your garage. You'd better build a separate shop for your bike. :laugh

Well the addition has been framed on the side of the garage. Need rafters and roof. Bike goes in there. Boat won't fit in any garage I have. :banghead

Well, we will be pulling it with our Toyota Tundra like we did last week when we brought it home. :)

Not sure if I would call it "trucking" but yes, FL in colder times, Ontario and N. Michigan during the warmer months.:thumb

Not that I have any real knowledge on the subject, I wonder if the summer freshwater time will be lower maintenance than the winter saltwater exposure?

Not that I have any real knowledge on the subject, I wonder if the summer freshwater time will be lower maintenance than the winter saltwater exposure?

Long term, salt water is much harder on boats than freshwater. Even stainless steel rusts in salt water (but at a slower rate). At max, we will be two months in salt water and then return to fresh so it won't be that much of a problem for us.

Long term, salt water is much harder on boats than freshwater. Even stainless steel rusts in salt water (but at a slower rate). At max, we will be two months in salt water and then return to fresh so it won't be that much of a problem for us.

Relative to your future Great Lakes sailing, does your boat have an insulated hull like Pacific coast sail boat or a non-insulated hull like an east coast boat?

We have been sailing since 1970 and I've never heard the differences between hulls described that way. There are a lot of fiberglass, un-insulated boats sailing in cooler waters including the west coast.

We've owned a lot of cruising style cabin boats and none of them have been insulated.

Then there are those pesky barnacles...yeah, aluminum corrodes away, stainless steel stains.
Still have my dads Chrysler 22 sitting behind my barn...wicked swing keel leak into cabin most likely salt water induced.I'm gonna perm drydock her , sunk in the ground near waterline for the g'kids one of these days .

Happy sailing Bud:thumb

Then there are those pesky barnacles...yeah, aluminum corrodes away, stainless steel stains.
Still have my dads Chrysler 22 sitting behind my barn...wicked swing keel leak into cabin most likely salt water induced.I'm gonna perm drydock her , sunk in the ground near waterline for the g'kids one of these days .

Happy sailing Bud:thumb

Thanks Steve.:wave

I love the dry dock idea. Kids would have a great time "sailing" their boat. :)

We have been sailing since 1970 and I've never heard the differences between hulls described that way. There are a lot of fiberglass, un-insulated boats sailing in cooler waters including the west coast.

We've owned a lot of cruising style cabin boats and none of them have been insulated.

As I said, I have no first hand experience. Just repeating tidbits I've heard from sailors in Puget Sound and along the east coast. Could just be old wives tales.....

Back