• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 R1250RT Makes Ringing Vibration Noise Under Acceleration

Hi All!

I have a new-to-me 2020 R1250RT with 18K that makes metalic ringing tone under strong acceleration. It is most noticeable in first with no wind noise. The sound doesn't change with speed, it only gets louder the more load I add. Cold or hot. It reminds me of an old school telephone or a loose heat shield on a car. It does not make the noise under revving the engine at a stop. Everything on the bike seems to be fine. It rides well etc. I have only owned R1200RT's so I am not familiar with the changes in the 1250.

Any thoughts on diagnosing this one?

<<< Edit: I found it. This is the sound. https://youtu.be/9F02kbYepwI

Thanks in advance!

Sail

Last edited:
It sounds like pinging to me.

Or a combustion mis-match causing excessive vibration under heavy (needs fuel) load.

Are you putting the recommended fuel in it? Are you lugging it?

If it's detonation, that's BAD. It's like hitting your piston with a hammer when it gets to TDC.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for something more like there is a stone wedged somewhere.

The fuel is whatever was in there when I bought it. I am not lugging it. I think of pinging as more of a chatter?

I thought these had knock sensors to correct pinging?

Thanks for the feedback!

I don’t believe these have a drain plug. Should I drive it to lower fuel or top off with a higher octane?

Thanks for the feedback!

I don’t believe these have a drain plug. Should I drive it to lower fuel or top off with a higher octane?

How much fuel is in the tank? If half or less adding new fuel will help. I personally would be inclined to siphon out of the tank as much of the old fuel as possible and then fill with new fuel. This is a serious issue because poor combustion of the old fuel won't just affect performance: it can damage the engine.

How much fuel is in the tank? If half or less adding new fuel will help. I personally would be inclined to siphon out of the tank as much of the old fuel as possible and then fill with new fuel. This is a serious issue because poor combustion of the old fuel won't just affect performance: it can damage the engine.

There was about a 1/3 of a tank. I refilled it with 92 octane and the sound is reduced but still somewhat noticeable. My older R1200RT doesn’t make the ringing/whirring sound under acceleration.

Its either your phone ringing or something is loose and rattling.

But I'd still get rid of that old fuel.

Windsailor97,

It’s completely normal. Mine sounded that way off the show room floor, and still sounds that way at 22,000+ miles. I’ve ran nothing but premium 90 or 93 octane ethanol free from the beginning. All the other 1250 RT’s I’ve been around or rode with, sound the same way too.

If I had to guess the sound is an exhaust note, best I can tell when riding it is coming from the exhaust, so I think it may be an aesthetic feature, or just the sound that the 1250 shift valve motor makes through the standard issue silencer that came with the bike.

Last edited:
It's 'coz you're driving on the wrong side of the road and the stone wall is reflecting back everything!

Do you guys have Chevron gas there? Or is the "Techron" additive available? That stuff helps clear out/clean up old gas; or maybe add some "TruFuel" (gray can), pure gas with minimal additives. https://trufuel50.com/

It sounds like pinging to me.

Or a combustion mis-match causing excessive vibration under heavy (needs fuel) load.

Sounds that way to me as well. I’d like to hear that ride repeated with some high-octane, high-quality fuel and shift points around 5500rpm or so.

Best,
DeVern

That isn’t a phone ringing. I have looked through the bike and things look ok. Nothing appears loose. I thought exhaust too and tightened the heat shield. No rocks on the engine or exhaust I could find.

If that is normal, it is a weird tuning of the exhaust. I will try siphoning the gas and start from scratch. I will get back in a week or so with any progress.

It's 'coz you're driving on the wrong side of the road and the stone wall is reflecting back everything!

Do you guys have Chevron gas there? Or is the "Techron" additive available? That stuff helps clear out/clean up old gas; or maybe add some "TruFuel" (gray can), pure gas with minimal additives. https://trufuel50.com/

Wrong side of the road? Do you put your toilet paper roll on backwards too?:D

Chevron Techron is my best hat trick. It really helps with better starts and smoother running. Once I empty the tank, I will run some through the system.

Back