• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

dead battery no computer

janprimus

:banghead I left my key on yesterday and did not find it until this morning. tried to jump start my 2005 gs and I am getting no display whatsoever. Am I up that old fecal waterway or do I just need to get a new battery? :banghead

It is probably going to take more than a maintenance charger to stand a chance of recovering one that is as discharged as this is likely to be.

If its original I doubt one this old would pass a load test after a recharge anyway.
A load test is the only accurate way to tell if a battery is any good. Voltage measurements tell little about available cranking power.

Speaking of killing old batteries, I left the rear compartment light on in my 1995 SAAB turbo for a week and killed the ORIGINAL fifteen year old battery deader than a doornail. Jump started it from my pickup and drove to town (35 miles each way). After two days the battery is doing fine but I'm thinking seriously about taking it out and putting it in my tractor and buying a new one for the car.

You might try an Optimate 4 on it. Some report complete revival of the battery after two days on this unit.

Speaking of killing old batteries, I left the rear compartment light on in my 1995 SAAB turbo for a week and killed the ORIGINAL fifteen year old battery deader than a doornail. Jump started it from my pickup and drove to town (35 miles each way). After two days the battery is doing fine but I'm thinking seriously about taking it out and putting it in my tractor and buying a new one for the car.

Depends on whether jump starting the tractor is easier than jump starting the car. :)

Were good!

It is an Odyssey battery. I read on their website that if the battery is totally discharged, a trickle charger wont do it. You have to put them on a serious charger so I took it to my local dealer and they charged it for me and it did the trick. It is holding a charge and I am back on my favorite bike! I actually had to ride my Yamaha Roadstar for a couple days and it reminded me why I bought the BMW! Within two blocks I was scraping my footboards again. :doh

Back