• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cycle World Names 2014 BMW R1200RT Best Sport Touring Bike

Despite having a long term test bike that was affected by the recall, Cycle World named the 2014 BMW R1200RT best Sport Touring Bike in their ten best bikes of 2014.

Cycle World's Ten Best List 2014

I saw that on my twitter update recently and I was thinking "how strange". I was wondering if it was based on the previous report dated in June and nobody at cycle world was informed of the recall:laugh. I hope I am joking but you never know.

I agree that once the problem is fixed the bike will probably be a huge success but still seems strange to give it such huge marks.

I am planning the RT to be my next bike purchase but I am waiting for a used 2015 or 2016 model. Applying the Charles Lindbergh adage of "Never fly the A model" to motorcycles. I am currently passing on a job to fly the 787 for another year for the same reason.

Rider mag has also named it the Best based on subscribers' votes. They mention even with the recall issue it received the most votes...apparently there were over 50 bikes getting votes. RT didn't get majority of votes, but more than any other machine. Rider must have a lot of wish-I-had-a-RT readers.

Cycle World was aware of the recall and noted on their web page that their long term test RT had been taken back by BMW.

But the recall really has no impact on the test experiences they had in the 3200 miles they had the bike. It got rave reviews and personally I feel like it deserves them. It's the most awesome, do it all, road bike I've ridden in the last 50 years. Just because Marzocchi flopped with the shock doesn't detract from what BMW created in this bike IMO.

How BMW is handling the shock flop is a whole other issue.

NO argument regarding the merits of the bike etc. but I was quite surprised is all.

Awesome! Glad to hear it because I just bought one yesterday. I'll pick it up in September when the suspension Fix is done. As one owner here said, "it's just a shock". Fix it and ride.

Awesome! Glad to hear it because I just bought one yesterday. I'll pick it up in September when the suspension Fix is done. As one owner here said, "it's just a shock". Fix it and ride.

I bought mine and the Do Not Ride hit just before delivery. If you have a great bike you can't ride, it IS a minor pleasure to read how great it is. :p

Cycke World in the comments section did state that the judging was completed before the DNR, but they still state that it is the hands down winner in its segment. All in all, BMW took 3 of the top ten, a pretty good run.

Maybe the bike mags should add another category. first, best bike in class, and then, best bike in class that can actually be ridden.:D

I've always wanted an RT, but with our roads so bad here in Vermont (many of the dirt roads are in better shape than the paved) I'd live in dread of body damage. I've never dropped the GS, but if I did the scars would add character. If I dropped an RT I'd probably cry for weeks!

How about another class or two, for 5 or 10 year reliability and costs to maintain the vehicle?
After all, if it doesn't get you out and back - safely, reliably, and comfortably - it's just an expensive paperweight.

I was considering the new RT, and was going to test drive one on the day my dealer was sent the stop ride notice in early June. Since the recall only affects the ESA equipped bikes, and if I'd owned one that was affected, I would have asked for the non ESA shock to be put on.
Unfortunately, the option package for the RT that would have the stereo, and all other options includes ESA. Maybe after this, they will make ESA an individual option so you're not forced into it to have other options because I would consider buying one now if I could get it with everything but ESA.

I put a deposit down on one. So technically it's not sold. The dealer had 2 of them in the shop area ready to get the new shocks. I was told mine will be ready by the middle of September.

I put a deposit down on one. So technically it's not sold. The dealer had 2 of them in the shop area ready to get the new shocks. I was told mine will be ready by the middle of September.

Probably a pretty safe bet on the time, but not assured. Unless you are getting the benefit of @ $3000-3500 in discount, it would probably be more advantageous to switch to a 2015 order given our short riding season. The 2014 will have a year's depreciation in the model year by fall.

Probably a pretty safe bet on the time, but not assured. Unless you are getting the benefit of @ $3000-3500 in discount, it would probably be more advantageous to switch to a 2015 order given our short riding season. The 2014 will have a year's depreciation in the model year by fall.

I had a trade in, so that would depreciate as well. And they brought the price down quite a bit, about $3000. I also like to ride in the Winter when possible. So those 3 factors sold it.

I had a trade in, so that would depreciate as well. And they brought the price down quite a bit, about $3000. I also like to ride in the Winter when possible. So those 3 factors sold it.
Amazing what you can do in winter in NY State when you don't get 9 ft of snow on average ! :laugh

Sounds good, Kyle. Enjoy!

Back