• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bought the Sargent seat

I tried the Sargent seat. Did several all day rides on it. I tried to like it. But, I felt like I was sitting in a hole. Seemed to me like the saddle was too "scooped", like I couldn't slide forward or back. So I went back to the stock BMW saddle. I feel like it is flatter so I can slide all the way back or up to the front. Being able to change riding positions creates, for me, more comfort on long rides. I like to slide back for a more sporty position in the twisties. I do use, on occasion, an Alaska Sheepskin pad https://alaskaleather.com/products/medium-sheepskin-buttpad; mostly when the sun is blistering hot and one could fry an egg on the saddle.
I suspect that many a complaint about any seat, may possibly be due to a rider's bottom side not being in riding condition. Meaning - one gets saddle sore at first, but toughens up after many miles. I now find my stock BMW saddle to be acceptably comfortable. I sold the Sargent.

craydds, you have brought up something that has been on my mind for years. I do not care for scooped or sculpted seats. I feel locked into position and unable to move around on the seat. Being able to alter my seating position makes for a comfortable ride. Another common problem with seats these days is many current designs have a tendency to push/slide the rider into the the tank. I friend at work has an F800ST and he is trying to find a seat that does not leave him sitting on the base of the tank.

The Sargent on my 2020 RT seems almost perfectly flat. It doesn't force me in any position. I can move fore/aft and side to side with ease.

Wonder if they have different designs.

The Sargent on my 2020 RT seems almost perfectly flat. It doesn't force me in any position. I can move fore/aft and side to side with ease.

Wonder if they have different designs.
Sounds like a good seat. How are you liking it so far?

Eat Crow

I suspect that many a complaint about any seat, may possibly be due to a rider's bottom side not being in riding condition. Meaning - one gets saddle sore at first, but toughens up after many miles. I now find my stock BMW saddle to be acceptably comfortable. I sold the Sargent.
I recently returned from a trip to Daytona Beach. Three days of riding from Las Cruces, NM to Daytona Beach, roughly 600 miles per day. Lots of hours in the saddle. Riding back from Daytona, I did a Saddle Sore 1000. Over 1000 miles from Lafayette, LA to Las Cruces, NM in one day. Lots of hours in the saddle. My hind end was suffering. I pulled in to a truck stop for petrol, went inside and bought a memory foam seat cushion. I had the Alaska Sheepskin Buttpad on the bike, so I place the memory foam underneath the sheepskin. Rode the rest of the way home in comfort. Conclusion - for a short 300 to 500 mile weekend ride the stock BMW saddle may be tolerable; but for over 12 hours in the saddle, or over 600-700 miles in a day, the BMW seat becomes hard on the hiney. I'm not ready to drop the $$$ on a Russell Daylong, think I'll try an air cushion like the AirRider - https://airrideronline.com/product/airrider-bmw-r-1250-gt/ for the super-long hours in the saddle.

I have the Low version and fits me very well. The Low version is still much more comfortable than the stock plank board in my opinion. I hope you are enjoying it as I assume you have been putting in seat time by now. Cheers.

bmw low seat Sargent.jpg

RS Owner Here

Very impressive to see so many positive endorsements here about Sargent, mostly around the RT, but is it safe to say the RS is improved as well?

I have the sport (tall) seat on my RS, but the Sargent "pitch" (so to speak) seems to be that you're less pitched overall toward the tank.

Are there RS owners who can comment one way or the other?

Is it also safe to assume that Sargent will be at the Rally in Springfield with live samples that we can swap in and possibly test ride?

I just bought a Sargent seat for my RS so I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, I bought just the front seat with silver stitching, and it was only $420 shipped. I don't need the rear seat as I never travel two-up. I have never bought an aftermarket seat as the seats on all my bike have been fairly comfortable. However, the stock RS seat was by far the most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat on. I guess the OEM seat works for some folks, but my ass is just not shaped like that.

I was feeling the pressure... literally... on both my ass and the clock ticking down to a long road trip (MOA Getaway- Fontana) coming up about 30 days from now.

That will be my first 400+ mile trip, but I have had a few all day outings on my 22 RT. Like most of you- I read everything on the groups, forums and all that and I have grown quite accustomed to seeing and mostly ignoring the chronic complainers.

Having come from the exact opposite of anything resembling a touring bike- I was doing my best to dismiss the fairly consistent criticism of the OEM regular seat. I was wrong. I came to grips with this today, and bought the Sarge. I've been see-sawing about this since the weather started to cooperate.. trying to decide "Could this seat really be this bad?" Yep. Fraid so. At least for me. Wore me out in about 3 hours max..

Dane tells me he is going to do his best to have it in my hands in time.. :thumb

https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-...014-Plus-Reg-No-Heat/Plus-WS-644-SE-IHFR.html

Mine will look exactly as the sample shown with the metallic silver welt. They do offer a racing blue welt- but I have enough other subtle blue bits & touches on mine already.

Well, what's the verdict?

I was feeling the pressure... literally... on both my ass and the clock ticking down to a long road trip (MOA Getaway- Fontana) coming up about 30 days from now.

That will be my first 400+ mile trip, but I have had a few all day outings on my 22 RT. Like most of you- I read everything on the groups, forums and all that and I have grown quite accustomed to seeing and mostly ignoring the chronic complainers.

Having come from the exact opposite of anything resembling a touring bike- I was doing my best to dismiss the fairly consistent criticism of the OEM regular seat. I was wrong. I came to grips with this today, and bought the Sarge. I've been see-sawing about this since the weather started to cooperate.. trying to decide "Could this seat really be this bad?" Yep. Fraid so. At least for me. Wore me out in about 3 hours max..

Dane tells me he is going to do his best to have it in my hands in time.. :thumb

https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-...014-Plus-Reg-No-Heat/Plus-WS-644-SE-IHFR.html

Mine will look exactly as the sample shown with the metallic silver welt. They do offer a racing blue welt- but I have enough other subtle blue bits & touches on mine already.
I bought the same seat as you after having one to many trips shortened or just an aching pain in my butt after barely an hour on a stock seat. I have had my Sergeant for 5 years now and I don't even think about my seat these days, no matter how long the ride is and that's the biggest compliment I could say. I love it and I hope you do as well.

Anyone using the BackUp back rest with a Sargent. seat on a 2020 RT, or similar year?

I have both on my 2016 RT. I don't use the Backup anymore because, for stiffness, it rests against the pillion which does not provide enough stiffness to keep the backup as firm as I would like.

YMMV,
Ski

Hey all. I got a PM about this a couple days ago. This prompted me to realize that maybe others might want a review. Here was my response..

Hey- the Sarge has been terrific so far. It was a must have leading up to the Fontana MOA getaway (a 1200+ mile long weekend) Pretty much saved the trip for me. It's been great to ride basically all day- with pretty minimal rest stops. The OEM was good for about 1-2 hours at best.

While it has seen limited usage- I'm also pretty certain that the heat works way better than the OEM does on the rider seat. My wife never complained about the OEM heat levels out back, but the rider seat heater was weak- plain and simple.

If you go this route- take your time and read everything carefully before installing. Don't cut the zip tie or jump ahead for any reason- no matter how obvious it may seem.

So yes- I am very happy with it so far. The bike (2022 R1250RT) has over 5k on it- probably 25% of those miles can be attributed to that 1 trip to Fontana. Like others have said- I rarely think about my butt now. By the end of all day rides- sure. Of course you are getting a bit sore. Especially when much of the day has been at a umm... "spirited" pace. I don't think I could ask much more of a seat than what I have.

Wifey also likes hers. She's not with me for most rides- but when she is- she loves her little throne. Of course- 7 years of riding on the back of a Victory Judge (with Airhawk) serves to set one's expectations pretty damn low LMAO

New Sargent seat arrived today. I'm planning a moderately long ride tomorrow to see how she feels. Fingers crossed.

Rode two hours. Pretty comfortable. Completely different feel compared to the OEM seat. I like to sit close to the tank and the Sargent seat has a ass pocket that I have to slide back a little to get into. This makes me have to lean forward more, which isn't bad especially at speed when there is wind to hold me up a bit. The bottom line, pun intended, is that it is more comfortable than the OEM. I think it's a keeper.
20220804_114751.jpg

I've had Sargent's on most of my bikes. Put the riders seat on my 2019 RT (returned the pillion because my wife preferred OEM). Thought it was a little harder than other seats from them, and bought the bike down a little lower. I have a 34" inseam, so wanted to add a little height and cushion.
These did the trick for me. I know there's another company here in the US now, but these guys (in the UK) make the covers for factory and/or Sargent seats. Just figured I'd pass it on. Wife & I both really like them!

https://www.coolcovers.co.uk/

Rode two hours. Pretty comfortable. Completely different feel compared to the OEM seat. I like to sit close to the tank and the Sargent seat has a ass pocket that I have to slide back a little to get into. This makes me have to lean forward more, which isn't bad especially at speed when there is wind to hold me up a bit. The bottom line, pun intended, is that it is more comfortable than the OEM. I think it's a keeper.

I should get even better after a few thousand miles

Back