• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bought the Sargent seat

I was feeling the pressure... literally... on both my ass and the clock ticking down to a long road trip (MOA Getaway- Fontana) coming up about 30 days from now.

That will be my first 400+ mile trip, but I have had a few all day outings on my 22 RT. Like most of you- I read everything on the groups, forums and all that and I have grown quite accustomed to seeing and mostly ignoring the chronic complainers.

Having come from the exact opposite of anything resembling a touring bike- I was doing my best to dismiss the fairly consistent criticism of the OEM regular seat. I was wrong. I came to grips with this today, and bought the Sarge. I've been see-sawing about this since the weather started to cooperate.. trying to decide "Could this seat really be this bad?" Yep. Fraid so. At least for me. Wore me out in about 3 hours max..

Dane tells me he is going to do his best to have it in my hands in time.. :thumb

https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-...014-Plus-Reg-No-Heat/Plus-WS-644-SE-IHFR.html

Mine will look exactly as the sample shown with the metallic silver welt. They do offer a racing blue welt- but I have enough other subtle blue bits & touches on mine already.

I can’t speak to the seat in particular but, I’ve had a few aftermarket seats but to the extent you can get a few hundred miles in prior to your long ride, the more comfortable the seat comes. At least that’s been my experience, there always seems to be a break in period before I’ve noticed the real comfort. Congrats on the Purchase and I’m sure you will enjoy

Agree 100% with Ride1271. Part of the equation is a good seat. The other part is getting your butt broken in to the new seat. The time to accomplish that is before setting out on a long trip.

Pete

I agree with the above, but my Sargent seats have been better than stock from day one. Then they get even better.

Rode to Alaska and back on a Sargent seat a few years ago. About 9400 miles in 18 days and never thought about my butt. A new one will feel hard at first, but it will break in an be comfortable.

I've installed a Sargent seat on every BMW I've owned...if that tells you something.

Its an investment that your won't regret.

Joe

I agree with the above, but my Sargent seats have been better than stock from day one. Then they get even better.

This is my experience as well. Out of the box it will be better than the stock seat, but potentially not as much as you would hope. After you put a few thousand miles on the seat to break it in, it will get more comfortable for you.

Certainly agree with Sargent comfort over stock comments. Another plus with Sargent, you get 30 days to try out seat with refund if desired. I do not know of another motorcycle seat company doing that.

Great decision!

Congratulations on the purchase. I added the single Sargent seat (unfortunately my wife will not partake so I never ride 2-up) at the beginning of last year to my 2015 RT and it made a world of difference. Did a 12-day, 3,000 mile trip and never thought about my butt. Sargent Seat on 2015RT.JPG

This level of consistent high praise (in the age of the internet) is a rare thing- something that I noticed about Sargent even before I had a BMW. . I'm certainly excited for this upgrade. I just hope it makes it in time for the Fontana getaway..

Love Mine!

When I took delivery of my 2021 R1250RT it had the low seat on it. First thing I did was drive down to Sargent and place my order. (I live in Jacksonville) They are a class act. They have a great looking and clean shop/manufacturing facility. You can watch them make seats from the other side of the windows if your ever in town. I love my seat!

If you don't think that you will get the seat in time for your trip you might consider an airhawk . They are around 100 dollars and I use it with my stock seat and have had no problems. I have found that the less air the better.

I have one. (Airhawk) Coming from a Victory Judge- it was a must for the wife. Rear seat was a medieval torture device. That thing was a miracle for her- she could easily break an hour seat time before needing a break. (that's a lot for that bike)

I actually got one for the front as a gift too- but never used it. It raised me up too high on that bike. I know all about the inflation levels- I only had enough air in there to create the slightest cushion- just did not care for it. Sold it after the crash.

The front seat was never the issue on that Vic for me. I could ride most of the day on the stock front seat. (Kinda embarrassing for BMW- that a bike as primitive as that kicked their ass in the OEM seat dept)

It was my wrists- that's what just killed me after a few hours. Right wrist for the throttle (very springy cable) and the left wrist from pulling in that damn clutch.. Go get one of these and set it to about 25 kg for a reasonable comparison..

So FYI- only 10 days post order- my new seats are on a Fedex truck in my area today. Sargent had stated during the initial call that they were "building to order only"- so I took that to mean they did not have any seats ready to go. That's pretty damned impressive.

Last edited:
I was impressed with Sargent this winter. I bought a 2014 BMW R1200RT with a regular height Sargent seat on it. I called and asked if they could re-cover it and change it to the low version, and they did so very quickly at a very fair price. I've only rode on it once for about 45 minutes, but so far, so good. I expect to put it to the test once we get some good weather here.

Any Sargent Owners Riding An RS?

Very impressive to see so many positive endorsements here about Sargent, mostly around the RT, but is it safe to say the RS is improved as well?

I have the sport (tall) seat on my RS, but the Sargent "pitch" (so to speak) seems to be that you're less pitched overall toward the tank.

Are there RS owners who can comment one way or the other?

Is it also safe to assume that Sargent will be at the Rally in Springfield with live samples that we can swap in and possibly test ride?

Very impressive to see so many positive endorsements here about Sargent, mostly around the RT, but is it safe to say the RS is improved as well?

I have the sport (tall) seat on my RS, but the Sargent "pitch" (so to speak) seems to be that you're less pitched overall toward the tank.

Are there RS owners who can comment one way or the other?

I ordered the Sargent for my RS last week and look forward to leaving my thoughts shortly.

Back