• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cracked the screen on my Nav5

brownie0486

Now it's locked up, none of the functions work at this time.

Called Garmin, they don't refurb any longer, have no zumo 660's for sale which would fit the nav 4 cradle as well.

I've got a few posts on sites looking to buy a nav 5 or zumo 660 right now, but if someone has a lead on either, I'd appreciate pm-ing me with resources. Bought the nav 5 here from a member, perhaps another member has one they'd like to let go.

Suggestions on getting the nav5 fixed by someone other than garmin?

Recently when another member contacted Garmin about a bad Nav V they offered him a refurbished Nav V for $175. He had to trade his unit in.

Recently when another member contacted Garmin about a bad Nav V they offered him a refurbished Nav V for $175. He had to trade his unit in.

I saw that Lee, when I spoke to them this morning, the agent said they didn't have any for sale. Now, I didn't ask about refurbs so that may have garnered a different answer.

I've also got a line of a NIB Nav 5 out of Ma.. He's away but will get back to me in two weeks. As it's not a rush as I have a nav4 that I can run in the meantime, I now have a few options. I may just buy the new nav 5 out of Ma. as well as get mine repaired.

Update:

Received the Garmin Nav5 back from Chris at Short Tronics.. It was as he suspected from our conversation on the phone, the cracked screen detached from the unit which locked it up.

New screen and shipping back to me was 88.00. I turned it on, added 3 addresses as favorites my brother and I will travel to over the Xmas holiday, then charged the battery to full. It's back to operational.

Chris stated he works on most any Garmin. Just an fyi to other members using Garmins of one flavor or another here. Prompt service, he only had the unit 3 days and it was on the way back to me.

Update:

Received the Garmin Nav5 back from Chris at Short Tronics.. It was as he suspected from our conversation on the phone, the cracked screen detached from the unit which locked it up.

New screen and shipping back to me was 88.00. I turned it on, added 3 addresses as favorites my brother and I will travel to over the Xmas holiday, then charged the battery to full. It's back to operational.

Chris stated he works on most any Garmin. Just an fyi to other members using Garmins of one flavor or another here. Prompt service, he only had the unit 3 days and it was on the way back to me.

Address/more info re: Chris @ Short Tronics. I have a Garmin Montana 650 w/a broken on/off switch (cover) that needs to be replaced. Garmin is absolutely no help/says they no longer support the Montana 6xx and I should buy a new Montana 7xx. I would, but I would also have to replace a lot of my mounts. Would rather fix the 650.

Back