• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 K12 GT BMW Zumo 550 (Garmin out of warranty service) Nav touch screen device

gaugust

I recently purchased a used 2008 K12 GT with a BMW Zumo 550 (Garmin) navigation system, Unfortunately shortly after taking delivery of the bike the Nav device sceen started to flash and not respond to touch screen commands.

I checked with my local BMW dealership service dept, they said the screen has gone bad and to call Garmin to see what they can do. I checked the Garmin website which quoted $150 to fix this out of warranty device, called Garmin Tech support they suggested I use Garmin Express to update the device files and to execute the calibration test. Device download went fine however Calibration test did not work because the touch screen does not work.

I contacted Garmin again, they said Sorry, they can't do anything more and the device is not in warranty and non-repairable so they would not give me a RMA and it was up to me to purchase a new NAV 4 or 5 for $525 to $800.

They also suggested I call BMW customer service to see if they could help. Unfortunately after a 45 min conversation NO HELP. BMW C/S suggested I contact the dealer who said there was nothing they could do if Garmin nor BMW was willing to help.

Other than buying a new device, anybody know of a homegrown fix the touchscreen and where to buy the parts?

The device powers up and connects to the Satelite feed fine and moves to the 3 major screens using the push button on the left side. Maps (+) and (-) functions work as well.

Thanks for your feedback

Left in the Dark

You can buy a new digitizer on eBay for a few bucks and there are tons of you tube videos on how to replace. It's a rather simple process. There is also a place called www.Palmdr.com that has a great reputation for replacing them cheap.

Welcome to the forum gaugust!
I see it's you first post....Your question will probably get more attention in the Gear section, so one of us will move it over tomorrow. Hate to see you come back and wonder what happened to your post.
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Thank you

Welcome to the forum gaugust!
I see it's you first post....Your question will probably get more attention in the Gear section, so one of us will move it over tomorrow. Hate to see you come back and wonder what happened to your post.
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Thanks for the help, a couple of others turned me on to the PalmDoc.com, after reviewing his website looks like a very common problem for this device.
I'll likely send it to them for repair.

BTW Great Quote.... I'm a big LG/Littlefeet fan

Best

GA

Zumo 550 Repair results

I recently purchased a used 2008 K12 GT with a BMW Zumo 550 (Garmin) navigation system, Unfortunately shortly after taking delivery of the bike the Nav device sceen started to flash and not respond to touch screen commands.

I checked with my local BMW dealership service dept, they said the screen has gone bad and to call Garmin to see what they can do. I checked the Garmin website which quoted $150 to fix this out of warranty device, called Garmin Tech support they suggested I use Garmin Express to update the device files and to execute the calibration test. Device download went fine however Calibration test did not work because the touch screen does not work.

I contacted Garmin again, they said Sorry, they can't do anything more and the device is not in warranty and non-repairable so they would not give me a RMA and it was up to me to purchase a new NAV 4 or 5 for $525 to $800.

They also suggested I call BMW customer service to see if they could help. Unfortunately after a 45 min conversation NO HELP. BMW C/S suggested I contact the dealer who said there was nothing they could do if Garmin nor BMW was willing to help.

Other than buying a new device, anybody know of a homegrown fix the touchscreen and where to buy the parts?

The device powers up and connects to the Satelite feed fine and moves to the 3 major screens using the push button on the left side. Maps (+) and (-) functions work as well.

Thanks for your feedback

Left in the Dark

Just got the device back today works great.... best $65 I've invested in some time. Chris at Short Tronics is great... Highly recommend his company for Garmin repairs

Just got the device back today works great.... best $65 I've invested in some time. Chris at Short Tronics is great... Highly recommend his company for Garmin repairs
Great to hear how things worked out. I forgot to move this so I'll do it now- :bolt
OM

Back