• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin 550 next to BMW Zumo

Oldmanwheeler

Yesterday I picked up my wifeÔÇÖs new BMW F800ST and it came with a free BMW Zumo GPS Since I already own a Garmin Zumo 550 I thought it would be fun to compare the two units. I started out by downloading the same Custom POI files into the BMW that I have in my 550 so that ever thing would be identical. I then put the BMW unit in my truck and the very first thing I noticed is that the BMW Zumo the icons from the custom POI file right on the main screen while youÔÇÖre driving. This has always been one of my complaints about the Garmin 550 so IÔÇÖm glad to see they are doing it with the BMW unit and maybe we can expect a firmware update for the 550 so it also displays the icons.
When I got back home I had some free time on my hand so I sat down and went through each unit comparing packages, tools and Where to. Here is what I found:
The contents of the packages are similar; except that the Garmin Zumo includes a vehicle suction cup mount with built in speaker, dashboard disk and a vehicle power cable. The BMW Motorrad Zumo includes a GTM 12 FM TMC traffic receiver which only works in selected cities where coverage is available.
TURN ON
ÔÇó The boot up process is the same
TOOLS
ÔÇó The Map page is exactly the same with the same options
ÔÇó BMW Motorrad v2.00
ÔÇó The System options are the same as is the Locale options and the User Data
ÔÇó Both have the same Volume and Bluetooth settings
ÔÇó Under Navigation the BMW unit does not offer the option to change the Recalculation Mode
ÔÇó The Display options are the same as is the Keyboard
ÔÇó BMW does not offer FM Traffic or XM subscriptions
ÔÇó IÔÇÖm assuming the Traffic button on the BMW is the same as the Traffic Source under Garmins Service option. From what I can tell, since IÔÇÖm not in a service area, the GTM 12 FM TMC traffic receiver ties into BMWÔÇÖs Traffic option.
ÔÇó Both units offer Proximity alerts
WHERE TO?
ÔÇó They both include Address, Go Home, Food Lodging, Recently Found and Favorits.
ÔÇó BMW sticks in a button called BMW Motorrad with the BMW icon which list all of the BMW dealers
ÔÇó Then we continue with Routes, Extras, Intersections, Cities, Browse Map and Coordinates

VIEW MAP

ÔÇó The map screen is the same except on the BMW the POI icons from Custom POI are visible on the map screen. I really like having the icons visible on the screen.
The BMW unit fits right into the Garmin vehicle mount and the all black unit blends in very nicely with my dark dash and does not stand out as much as my Garmin unit. When I noticed this I put the two of them on the BMW and the result was the same with the BMW Zumo quietly blending in.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I will be using the BMW Zumo in my car for the next few weeks to see what other difference there are between the two.

I have the BMW Zumo for about a month now, and have compared it to the Zumo 550 via its downloaded manual and a Garmin nuvi I have used in my car for many months, which has similar features to both. When the BMW Zumo boots up, it says it is a Zumo 550 OEM.

My only "correction" to what you wrote is that the traffic received by the BMW Zumo's GTM 12 FM TMC traffic antenna is FM traffic, and it comes with a 3-month free subscription, renewable for $60.00 per year. The Garmin Zumo can do same, and if you buy the GTM-12, or 20 for the Garmin Zumo, they come with a 15-month (1yr, 3-mo) free subscription.

No XM is there because BMW has an exclusive arrangement with Sirius, and Garmin has not engineered a Sirius-capable Zumo yet. Maybe now that Garmin will do the BMW car and bike ones, it will. Both units has an MP3 player, I use mine via a 4Mb SD card in the Zumo.

Right now I hear the Zumo via a Cardo Scala Rider 2-ear blue-tooth headset unit, which is not quite loud enough all the time, and inaudible @ 75mph or more, and @ much lower speeds during high RPM runs. I already now have a wired headset for a fullface helmet which I am going to try but since it adhesively mounts into a helmet, and I have new coming I won, I will try it then. I have been told by other riders on the Zumo forum alternatively I will love it, and that I will find it no more audible then the Scala Rider (because of no amplification - that requires an special box). We'll see.

Big other difference is Garmin Zumo includes power cable which has black and red wires and bare ends on those wires for battery connection. The BMW Zumo power cable ends in a jack that plugs right in to a female plug on the battery cable on most BMW m/c's (+, I believe), which allows delayed shut-off, call continuation via head set, plus makes it better recognized by the CanBus on the newer bikes.

My POIs are US speed cams (where I am is the capital of them) and Fodor's travel guide for NA, which I acquired. It has convenient access to BMW dealers via its BMW Motorrad button under Where To?, and accept POIs on it and some from the SD card on its Extras button under Where To?. Both use love-it-or-hate-it MapSource for trip planning and both can use Zumo Connect, a feature that allows route sharing.

Mine has a weird quirk that may mean the unit is defective (and I am actively working with Garmin on this) that it often fails to recognize the traffic antenna is hooked up, and makes traffic signals not capable. I am on my 2nd antenna, which seemingly solved the problem, but a few weeks later, it's back.

The black unit is prettier IMO, and the BMW Zumo has 3-year warranty, the Garmin Zumo 550 has a 1-year one. For the warranty and dealer availability for service on it and help with Garmin, I'd say the BMW Zumo deal is better (you can't buy this with even an extended warranty on the G-Zumo 550), but if you have to have XM, buy the Garmin Zumo 550.

Here is pic of mine.
2050448790_a9393ab63d_b.jpg

Yesterday I picked up my wifeÔÇÖs new BMW F800ST and it came with a free BMW Zumo GPS Since I already own a Garmin Zumo 550 I thought it would be fun to compare the two units. I started out by downloading the same Custom POI files into the BMW that I have in my 550 so that ever thing would be identical. I then put the BMW unit in my truck and the very first thing I noticed is that the BMW Zumo the icons from the custom POI file right on the main screen while youÔÇÖre driving. This has always been one of my complaints about the Garmin 550 so IÔÇÖm glad to see they are doing it with the BMW unit and maybe we can expect a firmware update for the 550 so it also displays the icons.
When I got back home I had some free time on my hand so I sat down and went through each unit comparing packages, tools and Where to. Here is what I found:
The contents of the packages are similar; except that the Garmin Zumo includes a vehicle suction cup mount with built in speaker, dashboard disk and a vehicle power cable. The BMW Motorrad Zumo includes a GTM 12 FM TMC traffic receiver which only works in selected cities where coverage is available.
TURN ON
ÔÇó The boot up process is the same
TOOLS
ÔÇó The Map page is exactly the same with the same options
ÔÇó BMW Motorrad v2.00
ÔÇó The System options are the same as is the Locale options and the User Data
ÔÇó Both have the same Volume and Bluetooth settings
ÔÇó Under Navigation the BMW unit does not offer the option to change the Recalculation Mode
ÔÇó The Display options are the same as is the Keyboard
ÔÇó BMW does not offer FM Traffic or XM subscriptions
ÔÇó IÔÇÖm assuming the Traffic button on the BMW is the same as the Traffic Source under Garmins Service option. From what I can tell, since IÔÇÖm not in a service area, the GTM 12 FM TMC traffic receiver ties into BMWÔÇÖs Traffic option.
ÔÇó Both units offer Proximity alerts
WHERE TO?
ÔÇó They both include Address, Go Home, Food Lodging, Recently Found and Favorits.
ÔÇó BMW sticks in a button called BMW Motorrad with the BMW icon which list all of the BMW dealers
ÔÇó Then we continue with Routes, Extras, Intersections, Cities, Browse Map and Coordinates

VIEW MAP

ÔÇó The map screen is the same except on the BMW the POI icons from Custom POI are visible on the map screen. I really like having the icons visible on the screen.
The BMW unit fits right into the Garmin vehicle mount and the all black unit blends in very nicely with my dark dash and does not stand out as much as my Garmin unit. When I noticed this I put the two of them on the BMW and the result was the same with the BMW Zumo quietly blending in.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I will be using the BMW Zumo in my car for the next few weeks to see what other difference there are between the two.

Hey I saw your bike on the floor with your name tag on it. Beautiful bike! Thanks for the GPS info. as I am considering GPS also. Gina said there's a special on the Nav III for $913 if ordered by the end of the year so that is where I was leaning because of the BMW dealer pre-loads.

But, on another thread, I was told in answer to my question that people have files available for download that have all the dealers so this opens up a lot more possibilities.

Will be interested to see your follow-up report on the Zumo in your car.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Mine has a weird quirk that may mean the unit is defective (and I am actively working with Garmin on this) that it often fails to recognize the traffic antenna is hooked up, and makes traffic signals not capable. I am on my 2nd antenna, which seemingly solved the problem, but a few weeks later, it's back.

Your additions are right on the money. Can you elaborate a little more on the antenna issue. Is this the antenna that comes in the package and has two little suction cups on it? If that's the one we can't even use it because we are not in one of the "selected areas". I hope BMW and Garmin work it out so that they can provide Sirius. I have Sirius in two cars and in the house so obviously I like it and would love to have it on my bike. I'll be anxious to hear what you end up using for headsets - that way I don't have to go through the hassle! :banghead Hope you get your antenna issues solved. Between our cars, motorcycles, ATV's and two boys I have 6 Garmin GPS's at the present time. Anytime I've had problems with a GPS or MapSource Garmin has been great to work with.

Your additions are right on the money. Can you elaborate a little more on the antenna issue. Is this the antenna that comes in the package and has two little suction cups on it? If that's the one we can't even use it because we are not in one of the "selected areas". I hope BMW and Garmin work it out so that they can provide Sirius. I have Sirius in two cars and in the house so obviously I like it and would love to have it on my bike. I'll be anxious to hear what you end up using for headsets - that way I don't have to go through the hassle! :banghead Hope you get your antenna issues solved. Between our cars, motorcycles, ATV's and two boys I have 6 Garmin GPS's at the present time. Anytime I've had problems with a GPS or MapSource Garmin has been great to work with.

Yes, the problems I am having with the antenna connection is the one from the package and yes it has two little suctions with it. On my bike, we run the antenna along the frame, and the antenna rests on the cups BUT the antenna is zip-tied snug to the frame to hold it there lest it fall into the hot zone of the engine.

I do not believe now the antenna is the problem though. This is because when the problem shows up with no cars icon on the main page (this icon indicates traffic on) then a Settings>Traffic yields a "Please attach traffic antenna". When that happens, removing the device from the cradle, and unplugging and re-plugging in the traffic antenna cable, remounting the Zumo: The unit shows traffic again. I am beginning to believe therefore it is my Zumo itself, and an occasional "This accessory is not supported" message over the antenna itself is what makes me believe that now. That message says it is the Zumo that does not recognize the antenna is the antenna.

Originally believed at fault was a dealer admission faulty install, a wire under the cradle was frayed, so they took it apart and did it all over again. Now the dealer believes it is not an install issue. Garmin might have to rule on that one. This is one of the reasons a Garmin tech and I have started an email relationship as of Wednesday evening, but the Holiday is in the way, right now, and he probably has not seen my 3 emails back at each stage I went through updating and remounting, then unmounting, pull cable out of base, plug cable back in base and remount again to get traffic, that I sent late PM Wednesday.

Saturday and Sunday, I can go riding and check out the operation now. If the traffic consistently comes on after a GTM-XX update, and the remount, the problem is likely fixed. If not, it is time to exchange the unit for a new one, since I cannot believe the antenna is at fault.

I want to check it out and check in with Garmin and straighten this out before posting again. But you can PM with your email and we can take this discussion that way for now while I work through the problem with Garmin.

BMW Dealer Maps?

But, on another thread, I was told in answer to my question that people have files available for download that have all the dealers so this opens up a lot more possibilities.

Does anyone have one of these files that I can load into my Garmin? There have been many times when I wished there was a way to find them in the areas I was riding.

No XM is there because BMW has an exclusive arrangement with Sirius, and Garmin has not engineered a Sirius-capable Zumo yet. Maybe now that Garmin will do the BMW car and bike ones, it will. Both units has an MP3 player, I use mine via a 4Mb SD card in the Zumo.

This should be a redundant point since XM and Sirius are merging...

Back