• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coulda been a really bad day...

Sue

Friend of the Marque
What could have been a horrible story:

Last week my son Tyler (MOA member) took his 1996 F650 on vacation. With camping gear strapped on, he and his wife headed from Wisconsin towards Gettysburg, PA on Monday morning. Although he has toured long distances with me in the past, it's been a few years - - and he has never ridden this far with a passenger.

200 miles into the trip, he picked up some road debris and got a rear flat tire. A tow truck was able to get him off the Indiana toll road and a non-BMW motorcycle shop installed a new tire, and Tyler & Michelle were back on their way.

400 miles later, the nut had rattled off the axle bolt, the bolt shifted along with the swing arm and tire, we believe a bearing seized, and ultimately it threw the chain. He was again stranded along the tollway - this time after dark and in Pennsylvania. Another tow truck, a hotel room 15 miles down the road and they were taken care of.

The Anonymous book came in handy: several local BMW riders were very helpful with locating good resources, and putting my mind at ease. I knew he had friends close-by, even though I was 600 miles away.

He knew it was bad - but did not realize how REALLY bad it was until Tuesday morning in the daylight when he saw all of the damage. (It was substantial) Luckily, there was a a Suzuki dealer about a 1/4 mile away so he put the chain back on and limped it over to the dealer who said the damage was too extensive to repair. We are all guessing that the axle nut was not tightened after the new tire was installed.

He rented a U-Haul and headed back towards Wisconsin, with a stop at the Indiana motorcycle shop so they could view the damage first hand. They sounded ready to work with him to make everything right - that's a good thing. He told them he wanted his own dealer to do the work - so he continued home with the bike in the U-Haul.

Anyway - - the bike is now at Milwaukee BMW. I haven't heard from Tyler what the damages are, but we should know by the end of the week how this is going to shake out.

The good news is he did not crash with either incident: neither the flat, nor with the rear-end failure. He was at tollway speeds for both, so I am counting our lucky stars that both he and my daughter-in-law are well, with only a good story to tell.

Attachments

• Tyler - Axle.jpg
    Tyler - Axle.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 227
Here is the Swing arm on the other side - the aluminum must been really hot!

Attachments

• Tyler - Axle_2.jpg
    Tyler - Axle_2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 222
Tyler and Michelle had their good angel with them, thankfully.
Happy to hear that everyone is fine.

3/4 inch from disaster.
Holy smokems!
Time to move up to a larger bike if the two up continues, methinks.
But then if that nut had been tightened properly, no problems.

Hope the tech who performed original service was informed.

Wow! That's a gruesome sight.

Most likely something happened (or was caused to happen) that made the wheel turn the axle, which then would have loosened the nut. But the tech at Milwaukee is the one looking at it.

Any chance Tyler could buy my next lottery tickets?!

Lucky rider!

May the rest of his miles all be safe ones. :thumb

Any chance Tyler could buy my next lottery tickets?!

Lucky rider!

May the rest of his miles all be safe ones. :thumb

Kevin - It was fun meeting you this weekend at the open house. How was your ride home?

And yes - he is truly a Lucky Rider! :D

OH NO a final drive failure:dance

That picture, they were only a few miles from disaster. I am so glad they were not hurt.

Rod

Wow they were really, really lucky. Years ago, a friend on a Harley was overdue on a short trip. Two days later they found his body and the bike down an embankment off the highway he was traveling. Something happened similar to your son's event, which caused the chain to be thrown, and it broke and then caught in the wheel causing a sudden violent crash.

I'm really glad they were not injured! :clap

Something for folks to consider. After any tire change or other repair, stop at the first rest stop or about 20 to 40 miles down the road and give the bike a look over. Things do happen and mechanics are not infallible. Better to look and find the problem rather than let the problem grow to find you.
:cry

Something for folks to consider. After any tire change or other repair, stop at the first rest stop or about 20 to 40 miles down the road and give the bike a look over. Things do happen and mechanics are not infallible. Better to look and find the problem rather than let the problem grow to find you.

good advice. i do this before i leave the dealer's parking lot.

I'm really glad they were not injured! :clap

My rear lugs were really loose and I almost lost my wheel. Got stopped just in time. The mechanic who put them on tightened them. Only took me a minute.

Back