• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Converting Front Amber Turn Signals to Running Lights 11 RT

I added the Skene Photon Blasters with the turn signal option a few years ago. They worked great. I also wanted amber running lights, like my old Honda CB400T had, but I was reluctant to modify the RT's wiring harness or add resistors. The Photon Blaster controller can handle extra LEDs, so I ordered two flexible strips of amber LEDs, thinking I could stick them somewhere on the fairing. These came with leads already attached, instructions and small quick connects that simplify maintenance. Of course, every placement I tested looked really tacky. I finally cut the strips down to 6" each (9 LEDs), fed the wire in through the turn signal socket hole, back out through a 1/8" hole drilled in the signal housing, removed the tape from the adhesive strip, and pulled the strip into the housings. I used a thin strip of wood to arrange the LED strip along the lower edge of the reflector and press it into place. I sealed the wire exit with silicone and connected the wires to the controller.

View attachment 52058

Photos and videos do not truly capture the actual appearance, but I put up a few other photos here. The "flicker" option of the Skene controller pulses the LEDs rapidly on & off in a way that catches the eye, but the camera tends to only catch the light fully on or fully off. Slow shutter speeds helped average the light. (Results from attempts to capture video were just bizarre!)

When the turn signal is activated, the controller stops the flicker on that side, alternately driving those LEDs at full brightness and then dimming them to nearly off, in sync with the standard bulb.

The LEDs are mostly pointed to the side, so they are not quite as bright from the front as the Photon Blasters. They are quite noticeable once you are about 30º off to the side. I'm not sure if the placement could be improved - an LED or two at the very back pointing forward could be better, but I don't think there is much room in that part of the reflector.

Wow, that's a great job there. What an ingenious idea running the led strips inside the reflector. I may have to copy your setup. Only thing I might do different is have the lights on steady with no pulsing. Thanks for posting this.

Back