• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Conspicuity Lights

Just to clarify a few points about Skene Design visibility lights:

While we make both white and amber LEDs, research studies have shown amber to be more conspicuous. We provide white because some customers prefer white, and outside the US and Canada front marker & visibility lights must be white.

Regarding the flashing brake light mode, many states now specifically allow this on motorcycles. Research here shows that a rapid flash, at the specific frequency that we use, reduces reaction time by 0.2 seconds, equivalent to ~ 15 feet in stopping distance at 60 mph. In any case, this is easily disabled on our system by using the brake lever. You will be less conspicuous with it turned off though. Our brake flashing sequence lasts only 1.5 seconds, then the LEDs stay on. This eliminates any chance of target fixation which can be a problem with a continuously flashing brake light.

Regarding our conspicuity flicker, this is visible to oncoming or following traffic (with Photon Blaster or P3 Lights systems, respectively) only out of their peripheral vision and disappears when they look straight at the motorcycle. It's designed to attract the attention of those not paying attention or those glancing down the road before pulling out of a side street.
We've had no customer reports about problems with law enforcement officers, other than them asking where to buy the lights, which has been reported several times. We have had 2 instances that I am aware of where a safety inspector has complained about the brake flashing, but this is easily turned off.

Just to clarify a few points about Skene Design visibility lights:

While we make both white and amber LEDs, research studies have shown amber to be more conspicuous. We provide white because some customers prefer white, and outside the US and Canada front marker & visibility lights must be white.

Regarding the flashing brake light mode, many states now specifically allow this on motorcycles. Research here shows that a rapid flash, at the specific frequency that we use, reduces reaction time by 0.2 seconds, equivalent to ~ 15 feet in stopping distance at 60 mph. In any case, this is easily disabled on our system by using the brake lever. You will be less conspicuous with it turned off though. Our brake flashing sequence lasts only 1.5 seconds, then the LEDs stay on. This eliminates any chance of target fixation which can be a problem with a continuously flashing brake light.

Regarding our conspicuity flicker, this is visible to oncoming or following traffic (with Photon Blaster or P3 Lights systems, respectively) only out of their peripheral vision and disappears when they look straight at the motorcycle. It's designed to attract the attention of those not paying attention or those glancing down the road before pulling out of a side street.
We've had no customer reports about problems with law enforcement officers, other than them asking where to buy the lights, which has been reported several times. We have had 2 instances that I am aware of where a safety inspector has complained about the brake flashing, but this is easily turned off.
Hi JSkene, you may want to have a look here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdisplay.php?56-Opportunities-Members-and-Vendors
Your products have been well received, your a Member, why not. If you need help, let me Know.
Gary

I'm wondering if what the OP saw on the K1600 was the bike's front turn signals. Aren't they long LED lights?

I have a GSA, and like someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, I use Clearwater Darlas (LED driving lights), mounted on the forks. I use them for conspicuity reasons, but I have not changed the lenses to amber like the earlier poster. I like Clearwater products. The only downside is that they are a bit pricey. To me they're worth it. I also have the Clearwater Billie Jr. LED driving/brake light mounted on the rear. It's programmable, and like the Darlas, is "plug 'n play", if you get the Clearwater CanOpener to go along with them.

As for Skene lights, they're a very good product too. Interestingly, I've ridden with a couple of guys who have them mounted on the rear of their RT's (as running/brake lights), and they actually turned off the flicker feature because some of their other riding buddies found it annoying.

There is a mod for K1600s where the turn signals in front (2 vertical amber lines of LED lights on the leading edge of bodywork about fork height) are always on until signal turns them off intermittently, basically reversing the on/off cycle from always off until signal turns them on intermittently.

Just mounted the Skenes - they are Really noticable.

Inked20170317_170337_LI.jpg

Looks good. I have a set I'm planning to install this week. I just have to motivate myself to remove the tupperware so I can get to the wiring. Not that big a deal, I guess...I had it all off a few weeks ago for a brake & clutch flush.

There is a mod for K1600s where the turn signals in front (2 vertical amber lines of LED lights on the leading edge of bodywork about fork height) are always on until signal turns them off intermittently, basically reversing the on/off cycle from always off until signal turns them on intermittently.

Note that the SkeneLights Photon Blaster system can also be connected to your bike's turn signals. When used with our amber LEDs on the K1600, it makes the bike very conspicuous:

K1600-turn-signals.jpg

Back