• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Conspicuity Lights

bikeflyer

I've noticed that photos of the new K1600GTL show what looks like a string of led lights along the leading edge of the side tank trim panel. Additionally, I passed (opposite direction, Hwy 37) a GS with similarly located lights.
I would like additional frontal conspicuity lights, so: does anyone know whether the K1600 lights can be retrofitted to a R1200GS or what other sources of such lighting might be?

... what other sources of such lighting might be?

I have amber LEDs mounted on the lower forks of my bike strictly for conspicuity purposes. The brand is Clearwater Darlas and the amber part are simply colored lens that fit over the clear lens and turn them from driving lights (which I don't need) to see-me-now lights (which everyone needs.) I am told, by other drivers, that they work wonderfully.

I use the Skene amber photon blasters in front and P3 in rear.
http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/index.shtml
Me too. Those front lights call attention to your bike, especially from people who might otherwise pass in you lane when they shouldn't. The brake lights which flash several times before coming on solid are also an attention getter for anyone following you who isn't totally involved in their text message.

I think (who really knows?) that the Skene photon blasters are more effective than other front running lights because they appear to flicker to oncoming drivers. Others prefer pulsing headlights, which I have to believe are effective. They are also annoying to oncoming drivers, and especially to drivers ahead of the bike. Since I know I wouldn't remember to turn the pulsing headlight off when it wasn't appropriate, and I think it a bad idea to piss off other motorists, don't want one on my bike.

Skene is not the only company that makes flashing-to-solid brake lights. Others may as good or better. But I think they are a good idea.

The nay-sayers on the question of increased conspicuity point out that it isn't perfect. Of course, they are right. All those lights, white helmet, bright jacket, etc. in no way guarantee you will not crash and be injured or killed. They just move the odds in you favor.

Doug, I've had a little chat with Novato Police. They tell me that they will accept extra conspicuity lights, even tho some installations might push vehicle code limitations a bit. However, they were quite clear about not accepting flashing lights. And, based on many bicycles having them locally, I can confirm your point about them being irritating to others.

But I have only recently become aware of the Skene flicker technology. I like the idea, but worry a bit about the cops. Has anyone had any LEO interaction over them??

BTW, thanks to all for the pointers to Skene installation info. It really is great stuff for anyone contemplating connecting into a CAN buss system with anything.

But I have only recently become aware of the Skene flicker technology. I like the idea, but worry a bit about the cops. Has anyone had any LEO interaction over them??

None in two years. The way their flicker works is the flicker is only really apparent if you are not looking directly at the lights - like out of your peripheral vision. If you look directly at them the flicker seems to go more solid.

I've had the Skene lights front and back on two RTs and have ridden about 70,000 miles with them on. I have never had a single conversation with any LEO about the lights, or for any other purpose. I've been through 44 states and never been stopped for anything.

It really difficult to say with any certainty what is acceptable and what is not. I am a LEO and just because it is legal or illegal in my state has nothing to do with your state because the states have their own traffic and vehicle equipment codes. About the only thing I can say is if the light configuration (including flashing) resembles anything like a police setup you will likely have an issue with the law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if what the OP saw on the K1600 was the bike's front turn signals. Aren't they long LED lights?

I have a GSA, and like someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, I use Clearwater Darlas (LED driving lights), mounted on the forks. I use them for conspicuity reasons, but I have not changed the lenses to amber like the earlier poster. I like Clearwater products. The only downside is that they are a bit pricey. To me they're worth it. I also have the Clearwater Billie Jr. LED driving/brake light mounted on the rear. It's programmable, and like the Darlas, is "plug 'n play", if you get the Clearwater CanOpener to go along with them.

As for Skene lights, they're a very good product too. Interestingly, I've ridden with a couple of guys who have them mounted on the rear of their RT's (as running/brake lights), and they actually turned off the flicker feature because some of their other riding buddies found it annoying.

Last edited:
The better half and I each have the Skene lights on our motorcycles. We are very happy with them.

The only interaction I've had with police over them was when I took a class at a Sheriffs training facility. They wanted to know where to buy them...
I can't see any reason why they would be illegal, as the lights don't strobe. They never actually turn off.

I've installed about a dozen sets of Skene P3's and photon blasters on various bikes, I have disabled the flicker feature on all. Simple programming allows this. Not one of the bikes has been stopped for having these lights, several LEO's have commented how much more visible the bike is with brakes applied. There are a couple cop bmw's in SOCAL that have them installed

OK, you guys have me interested in a set of Skene lights. Has anyone installed the Photon Blasters on an R1150RT? Where on the forks do they go?

Also...white vs. amber...arguments for each? I'm leaning toward the whites, mostly because I don't think I've seen any amber lights on the front of any bikes.

I'm pretty sure pulsing headlights are legal in all US states and all provinces of Canada. Since Skeene photon blasters and P3 brake/taillights seem to be quite popular, be interesting to know if anyone anywhere has encountered police problems with them, especially the brake lights when they are set to flash a few times. Personally, I'm grateful to cyclists who use constant flashing rear lights - they certainly need all the conspicuity they can get. I think the Skeene P3's are an improvement in solid mode if only because they increase the brake light output. I think they are an even bigger improvement with a few flashes - and wonder if that is illegal anywhere. If not, and fellow riders found them annoying, I would ride at the back of the group.

... Also...white vs. amber...arguments for each? I'm leaning toward the whites, mostly because I don't think I've seen any amber lights on the front of any bikes.

I have told this story on this forum several times, but here goes again: Several years ago I was riding on a SoCal freeway. I was "leading the pack" with about five or six lanes packed with vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs, etc) behind me, running at least 15 over. I was watching my mirrors closely when I suddenly saw a set of amber/yellow lights move into my mirrors. Those lights literally JUMPED OUT at me from the pack of white lights. Those amber lights were the only things I was noticing all of a sudden. "Wow!" I said to myself, "when I get home I am putting those lights on my bike for daytime riding." Well, I did just that and have not ridden a bike without them ever since (at least 15 years now). My evidence is not measurable, nor scientific, but it "feels right" to me, plus I have had numerous other drivers/riders remark to me that they "saw" my bike way before they "saw" the other vehicles.

I do not really believe they "see" me better, but I absolutely believe they "notice" me sooner/faster/first/better. That is good enough for me.

Good luck to you in whatever you do.

I think white is too easily dismissed as a reflection of some sort. Yellow stands out as something "different", more conspicuous.

A co-worker, arriving at our work location from the opposite direction, once told me that he immediately noticed my yellow Photon Blasters coming over a hill from about 3/4 of a mile away. I think white lights would have blended in with the daytime running lights of the other traffic.

I've had zero issues with law enforcement over the PB or P3 lights. Not even from the deputy who presented my performance award, who certainly saw them both in action.

Lately, I have noticed 4-flash-then-solid brake lights on two tow trucks (different companies) and a private ambulance.

OK, you guys have me interested in a set of Skene lights. Has anyone installed the Photon Blasters on an R1150RT? Where on the forks do they go?

Also...white vs. amber...arguments for each? I'm leaning toward the whites, mostly because I don't think I've seen any amber lights on the front of any bikes.

review the skene website. many pics of installs on various bikes. there are also fork install kits that come with the lights for most all bmw's.

And for the Do It Yourselfers

Build your own is an option.
$30 plus labor ($0) per light.

"Custom Dynamics" Hardwire Clusters. (Round 24 or 48 LED Clusters $25 +- each) Red or Yellow, and both with Low and High Intensity. The 1.25" (24 LED Bulbs) is my preference for front or rear.
They fit inside a (painted) PVC plumbing cap ($ .89) an a piece of glass ($1-$2) to encapsulate.
Good Company. Good Quality products. Good Warranty.
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm
Not an easy site to find what you are looking for cause there are so many Lighting/LED products.

Best part is they are BRIGHT !
I don't want/ need brighter.

I used a brake light flasher ($15 or $20 models) from
http://3rdbrakeflasher.com/

I have Skeene lights and have made these (described above) from Custom Dynamics Clusters for 3 different bikes.
The homemade are just as bright.

If you want Skeen lights, you do not need the controller if you want the lights to remain constant (as in not flashing for front visibility or to rear brake light to come on just when brakes are applied). This will cut some cost.

Charlie

Back