• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Communication Systems...

For strictly rider passenger communications we've begun using the Scala Rider TeamSet Pro with good results. Our unit (which replaces the original TeamSet) has no Midland markings like the review on the website listed. You do have to experiment with mic placement on open face helmets. We bought for communicating with each other and a future GPS purchase. I have played with the phone pairing with very good results.

I did write a basic review on our blog and you can find it here.

Communications

I just purchased a Sena SMH10 v2 unit a couple of weeks ago. I am fairly satisfied with the unit.

Not having any prior experience with Bluetooth or intercoms it is taking me some time and a few phone calls to Sena to figure it out. But so far so good.

The voice activation seems to work well, passenger to rider. The clarity is excellent. Music sounds OK, but not much base. I prefer the speakers for music vs ear buds. It allows me to hear my surroundings better.

One note on the Sena there is a 1-2 sec pause from the moment you trigger the voice activation to the time it will transmit.

Sena's support has been very good. They are responsive, have units at their desk and written instructions to compare with what you have. There has not been an issue they have not been able to resolve.

Got mine thru Revzilla in about 4 days and saved $100 off list.

The more we use them the easier they are to operate. So far so good. I would recommend them.

BKWags

For strictly rider passenger communications we've begun using the Scala Rider TeamSet Pro with good results. Our unit (which replaces the original TeamSet) has no Midland markings like the review on the website listed. You do have to experiment with mic placement on open face helmets. We bought for communicating with each other and a future GPS purchase. I have played with the phone pairing with very good results.

I did write a basic review on our blog and you can find it here.

Thanks for the review.

I just purchased a Sena SMH10 v2 unit a couple of weeks ago. I am fairly satisfied with the unit.

Not having any prior experience with Bluetooth or intercoms it is taking me some time and a few phone calls to Sena to figure it out. But so far so good.

The voice activation seems to work well, passenger to rider. The clarity is excellent. Music sounds OK, but not much base. I prefer the speakers for music vs ear buds. It allows me to hear my surroundings better.

One note on the Sena there is a 1-2 sec pause from the moment you trigger the voice activation to the time it will transmit.

Sena's support has been very good. They are responsive, have units at their desk and written instructions to compare with what you have. There has not been an issue they have not been able to resolve.

Got mine thru Revzilla in about 4 days and saved $100 off list.

The more we use them the easier they are to operate. So far so good. I would recommend them.

BKWags

Had not heard of revzilla, that is a great spot. And it linked me to a few videos that were relevant. In particular, the Scala G4, and the Sena SMH10.

Unfortunately, I still don't have a clue which is the best one to purchase.

Funny no one else is posting here...come on folks, how about some personal experiences and thoughts on this topic (please!).

Or is it better to remain disconnected when riding, keep to your own thoughts, uninterrupted. Perhaps that is the (silent) message I'm supposed to get.

I have owned the Scala Rider Q2 team set, G4 team set and now the Sena.

Q2 - the good. Slim profile, long battery time, easy controls, fm radio, simple to use.
the bad. Fm radio reception, mic vox sensitivity too sensitive, need cord for mp3,
music volume too low and speaker quality is low

G4 - the good. Long battery time, fm radio, Bluetooth mp3, adjustable vox sensitivity,
volume level for music is louder and has speed sensitivity
the bad. Fm reception, vox not sensitive enough, bulky, controls are complicated
not easy to use with gloves.

Sena - the good. Long battery time, charge on the go, Bluetooth mp3, best speaker
Quality of all 3 plus it sounds like stereo. Easy to use with gloves. Controls
very simple to use.
the bad. Bulky, no fm radio, no adjustable vox,

As for the good if you listen to music Sena has by far the best sound quality. The G4 is supposed to be stereo but sounds mono. As far as sound quality of conversation they all are adequate. The controls on the Sena are easy to use with gloves. The Scala controls are too hard to use gloved. The G4 controls are just complicated with too many buttons.

For the bad Sena does not have FM radio but the radio reception in the Scalas is so poor it only really works when you are near big stations with big power. Both the G4 and Sena are bulky with the Sena being the bulkiest of the bunch.

I have had the Sena only a short time but like the function and sound much better. I did have issues with the G4 right out of the box tha were never really fixed to my satisfaction. I have read some unhappy here with Sena as well. I guess you can get a bad one of either brand. From my experience I would recommend the Sena for a high end communicator. That being said if you just want a communication system and do not care for music the Q2's are easier to use than the G4's. If music was not an issue I would recommend the Q2. I would never recommend the G4 under any circumstances. I suspect the waterproof characteristics of the Q2 are better than the G4. I believe much if my issues with the G4 had to do with riding in rain and the effects it had.

I have owned the Scala Rider Q2 team set, G4 team set and now the Sena.

Q2 - the good. Slim profile, long battery time, easy controls, fm radio, simple to use.
the bad. Fm radio reception, mic vox sensitivity too sensitive, need cord for mp3,
music volume too low and speaker quality is low

G4 - the good. Long battery time, fm radio, Bluetooth mp3, adjustable vox sensitivity,
volume level for music is louder and has speed sensitivity
the bad. Fm reception, vox not sensitive enough, bulky, controls are complicated
not easy to use with gloves.

Sena - the good. Long battery time, charge on the go, Bluetooth mp3, best speaker
Quality of all 3 plus it sounds like stereo. Easy to use with gloves. Controls
very simple to use.
the bad. Bulky, no fm radio, no adjustable vox,

As for the good if you listen to music Sena has by far the best sound quality. The G4 is supposed to be stereo but sounds mono. As far as sound quality of conversation they all are adequate. The controls on the Sena are easy to use with gloves. The Scala controls are too hard to use gloved. The G4 controls are just complicated with too many buttons.

For the bad Sena does not have FM radio but the radio reception in the Scalas is so poor it only really works when you are near big stations with big power. Both the G4 and Sena are bulky with the Sena being the bulkiest of the bunch.

I have had the Sena only a short time but like the function and sound much better. I did have issues with the G4 right out of the box tha were never really fixed to my satisfaction. I have read some unhappy here with Sena as well. I guess you can get a bad one of either brand. From my experience I would recommend the Sena for a high end communicator. That being said if you just want a communication system and do not care for music the Q2's are easier to use than the G4's. If music was not an issue I would recommend the Q2. I would never recommend the G4 under any circumstances. I suspect the waterproof characteristics of the Q2 are better than the G4. I believe much if my issues with the G4 had to do with riding in rain and the effects it had.

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the review. As always nothing is perfect, always a trade-off.

I'll look at both again.

Neil

It looks like this got left in the Hex/Cam area. It has some good info-I'm going to move it to Gear. Gary

I bought half a set of the Sena from a friend last weekend, and we put them in our helmets for a test run. Audio (rider to rider)? Excellent. Crystal clear, good volume, and I did not notice the hesitation when using VOX. Downside? It's mono if you are using Bluetooth to a Zumo 550 because, I assume, it's not AD2P(?) compatible. A previous poster recommended either getting a dongle for my zumo, or use the connector with two male ends that's included in the kit to direct plug from the jack on the Sena to the Zumo. Kinda defeats the purpose, but it also gives me an excuse to upgrade to a 660 or 665, right? Oh... if you like listening to FM radio, you can also use that same connector to do that too. :p

Back