• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

charcoal canister

bohdi36

I recently purchased a 2004 r1100s Boxer Cup Replika, ( 19,000 miles) the charcoal canister and catalytic converter was removed. The hoses for the canister were tucked up under the rear side panel and not capped. My question is there a procedure on properly removing the charcoal canister, or should I try to reinstall it? I would prefer not to install the converter, I don't have the original converter, but I do have the charcoal canister with most of the parts.

I will tell you, I was having problems with low idle, so I capped off the two lower vacuum ports on both throttle bodies and readjusted idle and throttle body synchronization, the bike performs a ton better.

Leave it off. It sounds like your problem was the vacuum ports were left open; they should be closed off except when performing a throttle body sync.

yep - sounds like you already fixed the PO's botched attempt. Just remove the rest of the plumbing that he left behind and you should be good to go. You can also remove the solenoid that went inline between the pots on the throttle bodies and then cannister. I found that getting rid of it gave me a bit more freedom with the wire harness routing. Mine is a 1995, so that may or may not be the case with yours.

I still have the solenoid on my 1150GS. If I remove it, should the two wires be connected or left open or does it matter at all?

Leave them open. If you connect them, you will cause a short and hopefully just blow a fuse. I filled my plug with a bit of silicone to be safe, but it probably isn't needed.

Back