• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Changing tires by hand

I like to use K-Y jelly for lube on the tire edges. I think next time I will take the extra step to polish the inside edges of the rim with Mothers billet polish and 0000 steelwool. The last time I had one that refused to seat. I took it to the local gas service staion in sub-freezing temperatures and inflated it to 90lb psi. I then set it on a low platform in front of a heater in my garage. I then left the garage and came back a few hours later to find in seated nicely. I realize this might be a difficult proceedure to duplicate in warm weather.

Paint spot is opposite the valve, balancing stand should be tomorrow (if I can catch the UPS guy - he waits for me to go out so he can leave one his darned slips instead of my package) and we'll see if she needs any help on that score.

Can't find any paint spot on the new rear tire though... gotta look again...

You need to come to terms with your UPS person. I have mine well trained. they know where to leave a package if I'm not home. :stick

Yes, that's my understanding too (paint spot is light spot, position opposite valve stem)

If the paint spot is the light spot, why are you putting it opposite the valve stem?

The valve stem is adding a little weight making that light spot on the tire more "balanced" if you line the spot up with, not opposite the stem.

Rich - you're right. I was thinking backwards. Pulled the tire and rotated so paint spot lines up with valve stem.

No paint spot on rear tire.

Neither tire needed any weights to balance.

Heading out to scuff in the new rubber now.

Thanks all - BrianK

Ah, very nice! Tires are scuffed in yet so I took it easy, but my goodness, they feel good! Placebo effect? Possible, but overall it feels like nice, soft, air filled tires have replaced old, hard, solid rubber ones - bike handles little bumps and road irregularities so much better. Old tires weren't even anywhere near worn, but they had a 2000 manufacture date, so I figured it was time....

Worth the effort.

Ah, very nice! Tires are scuffed in yet so I took it easy, but my goodness, they feel good! Placebo effect? Possible, but overall it feels like nice, soft, air filled tires have replaced old, hard, solid rubber ones - bike handles little bumps and road irregularities so much better. Old tires weren't even anywhere near worn, but they had a 2000 manufacture date, so I figured it was time....

Worth the effort.

Whether it's a car, truck or motorcycle, a set of new tires makes them feel new again.

For those of you using

WD-40
KY Jelly
Silicone grease
Dish soap

Stop.

Use tire lube.

That is, the product made for the job.

That way your bead to wheel surfaces won't be permanently greased and you won't have chemicals degrading your rims.

Kent, with all due respect, unlike any other product, K-Y is water soluble. When it dries up, what is left is inert.

Back