• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire changes. Not sure what the fuss was about.

c10950

I've come across complaints of BMW wheels being difficult.
I can say zero issues with the 2023 RS of mine .
Have a 2023 GS of a friend that I'll be doing tires on is a few weeks and will report here if any difference.

Adapter for wheel balancing was great .
FYI I didn't even need a tire spoon today 🙃
No exhaust removal needed either. Close but cleared
20231020_105607.jpg20231020_110706.jpg20231020_110658.jpg20231020_112936.jpg

The bead on GS tires is a complete pain in the butt. The drop center in GS wheels isn't all that deep, so they can be a bit recalcitrant.

I've come across complaints of BMW wheels being difficult.
I can say zero issues with the 2023 RS of mine .
Have a 2023 GS of a friend that I'll be doing tires on is a few weeks and will report here if any difference.

Adapter for wheel balancing was great .
FYI I didn't even need a tire spoon today 🙃
No exhaust removal needed either. Close but cleared
View attachment 93354View attachment 93355View attachment 93356View attachment 93357

Nice setup. Congrats on a job well done, and I have to say that's quite possibly the cleanest wheel I've ever seen. Was the tire worn out, or did you upgrade to a better set?

GO ASTROS!!!

E.

I have a 2018 R1200RT. IMO, it is fairly difficult to swap tires.

I rode Harleys for a few years, I thought tire changes on them were tough, but after doing a few changed on my RT the HD rims are easy! I have learned a few tricks that have made it easier.

Worst one was a buddy's wife ride a Can-Am Spyder. They just plain suck! I changed out one set for him and told him the next time take it to a dealer! I won't do them again. It was over three hours just to swap the tires. He brought just the rims and tires to my shop.

I don't know what you guys are doing but so far, I have no problems changing tires on Harleys, GS's and CamAm's I must be missing something.

Tire changing can be far less challenging when the right tools for the job are available.

Tire heaters.

IMG_1820.jpg

Pneumatic/Electric tire changer.

F1AE34AA-FDE8-40A2-880F-05D3FCE9AAF9.jpg

I’ve changed 97 tires using this style machine in the past three years. It makes working with difficult wheels and stiff walled tires a much easier task.

Tire changing can be far less challenging when the right tools for the job are available.

Tire heaters.

IMG_1820.jpg

Pneumatic/Electric tire changer.

F1AE34AA-FDE8-40A2-880F-05D3FCE9AAF9.jpg

I’ve changed 97 tires using this style machine in the past three years. It makes working with difficult wheels and stiff walled tires a much easier task.

WoW, that’s some nice equipment. I need a new front tire on my tube-type F800GS. I’m not looking forward to doing it myself on my hands and knees. I may try the local Honda shop figuring with all the dirt bikes, the tube shouldn’t be as much as a problem as it seems to be with shops doing a lot of tubeless tires.

OM

akbeemer my brother has the same machine , and its nice . I just do not have the room for one in a small 2 car garage.
Can am wheels are easy and I have done them on this manual machine for a friend . They are a Car wheel and the tire only comes off on one side .
I do about 4 sets of tires a year for my bike , and another 5 or 6 for friends . Wifes bike gets a set about every two years .

It's not so much the wheel, or drop depth, or width even. It's the stiffness of the tire or the temperature of the tire that affects manually changing the most. Right behind that, for me, is my change in age, from 40's to mid-seventies. YMMV.

I have a Nomar with all the rim gizmos and have used it on tube and tubeless tires, Harleys, Suzukis, BMWs (K, S, R), and Hondas. The "GT" version of tires for my RT are by far the worst I've encountered. On a couple of brands, I even had to resort to Goldwing-style measures like adding small wooden blocks in the drop zone to keep the bead down enough.

I've even laced my own wheels in the past.

New Wheel on No-Mar 2.jpg

Do I wish I had a commercial grade tire changer? Sure do, but I'll keep trying until I can't anymore.

kbasa
The bead on GS tires is a complete pain in the butt. The drop center in GS wheels isn't all that deep, so they can be a bit recalcitrant.

Wow, I had to look that one up. Good one. :thumb "Having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline."

I use a cycle hill tire changer on my 2010 R1200RT. Also don't see why "it's sooo hard". Once the wheel is secured to the changer, it's 5 minutes or less to slide the tire off and on.

I have watched various YouTube videos and see why some struggle: no lubricant used, not properly getting the tire into the drop center. The rear wheel on the R1200RT does not have a drop center to speak of. But with appropriate technique and lubricant it just slides on.
I have been using this changer since 2012 and at first I also struggled. But it's all technique.

Attachments

• PXL_20230716_224633959.jpg
    PXL_20230716_224633959.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 268
Wow, I had to look that one up. Good one. :thumb "Having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline."

Reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from the old sitcom Wings:

LOWELL: ...I'm seeing a beautiful friendship torn asunder, rent in twain, bifurcated.

HELEN: Lowell, have you been listening to those stupid vocabulary tapes again?

LOWELL: Indubitably!

It's not so much the wheel, or drop depth, or width even. It's the stiffness of the tire or the temperature of the tire that affects manually changing the most. Right behind that, for me, is my change in age, from 40's to mid-seventies. YMMV.

I have a Nomar with all the rim gizmos and have used it on tube and tubeless tires, Harleys, Suzukis, BMWs (K, S, R), and Hondas. The "GT" version of tires for my RT are by far the worst I've encountered. On a couple of brands, I even had to resort to Goldwing-style measures like adding small wooden blocks in the drop zone to keep the bead down enough.

I've even laced my own wheels in the past.

View attachment 93358

Do I wish I had a commercial grade tire changer? Sure do, but I'll keep trying until I can't anymore.

That is a thing of beauty!

"Recalcitrant" - politically correct for a PITA.

And I thought "indubitably" was a Spock-ism...

I had to look twice at the city... there's actually a brothel in Washington? Yeah, my mind is in the gutter.

Ya, nice wheel!

"Recalcitrant" - politically correct for a PITA.

And I thought "indubitably" was a Spock-ism...

I had to look twice at the city... there's actually a brothel in Washington? Yeah, my mind is in the gutter.

Ya, nice wheel!

Thanks.
In some signature lines on other forums I sometime type it as "Bot-hell". There's not much difference. :groovy

No fuss at all if you have a tire changing machine....which I now have. An OLMAXMOTORS tire changer.

Try doing it with two 10" long spoons while the Michelin Anakee III tire is on a couple of 2x4 pieces of lumber to protect the rim. And try getting the tire into the drop center without using any tools.

My friends 2023 GS he bought new this summer . Millage 7,3xx and the front had a very slow leak since new . Unable to locate issue with tire or bead. I discovered the leak at the stem . After removal with no spare stem or seal a little gentle work I was able to clean up this seal , and get the leak resolved vs warranty , and sitting at dealer for a month . Going to order a new unit for his next set of tires .

The GS wheels were no issue to mount or balance.

20240105_163421.jpg20240105_153933.jpg20240105_153736.jpg20240105_153450.jpg

Back