• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Centerstand scrapes on turns

M

MARTYW

Hey all-
As I get more comfortable on my '02 1150 rt, I'm finding that I often scrape the centerstand on the pavement while turning. It's a horrible sound, and shocking when it happens. No, no, I'm not riding recklessly! (Honestly!) The bike has been lowered with Works shocks, so all that undercarriage stuff hangs a couple of inches closer to the pavement. It also takes two burly men to put the thing up on the centerstand because the bike actually has to be lifted completely up onto it. Once up, the front tire is about 4" off the garage floor.

I plan to cut and re-weld the centerstand down this winter, but I don't expect that will help with the scraping. Anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Thanks
-Marty

More preload and get your butt off the seat. The preload will give you more clearance and getting your butt off the seat will let you get around the corner with less lean angle.

I'm in the habit of putting the centerstand in the up position, especially when cornering.

I actually had thought of lifting the centerstand while riding, although it does make the bike tippy-er at stop lights. I hadn't thought of changing the preload, and I'm sure I don't know how to do it. Is it simple? Will I need to consult Works?
-Marty

you could just remove the c-stand. I only put mine on when i'm going on an extended trip. Most of the time, it is entirely unnecessary anyway.

Hey all-
As I get more comfortable on my '02 1150 rt, I'm finding that I often scrape the centerstand on the pavement while turning. It's a horrible sound, and shocking when it happens. No, no, I'm not riding recklessly! (Honestly!) The bike has been lowered with Works shocks, so all that undercarriage stuff hangs a couple of inches closer to the pavement. It also takes two burly men to put the thing up on the centerstand because the bike actually has to be lifted completely up onto it. Once up, the front tire is about 4" off the garage floor.

I plan to cut and re-weld the centerstand down this winter, but I don't expect that will help with the scraping. Anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Thanks
-Marty

Sounds like weak springs on the centerstand. Are your pegs dragging in the corners? My R1100RT started doing this at about 75K. Since the centerstand is not being used, try securing it with some snap ties.

Your bike has been lowered but you did not shorten the center stand. That is why it is so difficult to place it on the stand.

Since you probably lowered the bike by 2" or so, you lost quite a bit of ground clearance. You probably have the preload set fairly low as well. Normal length shocks would solve your problem athough if you are vertically challenged you may not want to compromise your footing.

I am only 5'6" with a measley 28" inseam and am using standard shocks. I chose to get a low Sargent seat but still do not come close to flat footing my RT. I have learned to be extra cautious at stoplights and accept it.

Hey all-
As I get more comfortable on my '02 1150 rt, I'm finding that I often scrape the centerstand on the pavement while turning. It's a horrible sound, and shocking when it happens. No, no, I'm not riding recklessly! (Honestly!) The bike has been lowered with Works shocks, so all that undercarriage stuff hangs a couple of inches closer to the pavement. It also takes two burly men to put the thing up on the centerstand because the bike actually has to be lifted completely up onto it. Once up, the front tire is about 4" off the garage floor. Thanks
-Marty
I would take it off until you get it fixed. That sounds a little dangerous. You don't want to have your wheels levered off the ground.

As for the burly men part, you can ride bike up on to a 2 X 6 for the front and the rear wheel. That will give you plenty of clearance to get the bike up on the centerstand.

Your bike has been lowered but you did not shorten the center stand. That is why it is so difficult to place it on the stand.

Since you probably lowered the bike by 2" or so, you lost quite a bit of ground clearance. You probably have the preload set fairly low as well. Normal length shocks would solve your problem athough if you are vertically challenged you may not want to compromise your footing.

I am only 5'6" with a measley 28" inseam and am using standard shocks. I chose to get a low Sargent seat but still do not come close to flat footing my RT. I have learned to be extra cautious at stoplights and accept it.

You have hit on it exactly. I bought the bike from a woman with a small frame, and she did everything in her power to shorten the bike. I could put the original shock back on, but then I'd have to buy one, and take it to the dealer to have it done. Seems a shame, as the Works shock is an expensive piece of equipment. If I did swap it out, would I have to do anything to the front suspension to bring it up as well? I plan to cut the stand down to make it easier to use, but that won't help with cornering.

I would like to increase the "pre-load", but don't know where to begin. Is that a simple affair?

Someone suggested removing the centerstand, which is an interesting thought. I suppose one down side to that would be be if I got a flat tire, how would I deal with that. That might be less to worry about though than wiping out in a turn because parts are dragging. It really prevents me from leaning, because it hits way before my pegs ever would. Anyone have any experience in riding around without a centerstand?
Thanks for all the help so far.
-Marty

If you don't need the short shock for your purposes... REPLACE IT!
Buy another Works (or Ohlins, or Wilbers, etc), and sell the one you've got, Even if what you do is get another used Works.. that's what you've got now, right?
Stock BMW shocks are the one item that is done as a real compromise between good quality and low/reasonable price.. with price winning out most times.
Really, don't give it another thought- scrap that shock and get one that works for YOU, and forget any other work-arounds.
You might want to see what you have in the front end before deciding what to do with it. If she put short springs in there, yank 'em jsut like the rear shock. If stock springs, consider yanking them for a set of Progressives.
And if you're capable of turning a screwdriver or a wrench with a reasonable degree of expertise (can you change a talilight bulb?) you can do EITHER/BOTH those jobs yourself. These are very easy bikes to work on; learn to be the Master of your own Universe!!

As to your last question- i routinely yank my c-stand for local riding (within a day or 2 of home), and replace it only when i'm going into full tour mode (when I'm gone for at least 4 or 5 days).

You have hit on it exactly. I bought the bike from a woman with a small frame, and she did everything in her power to shorten the bike. I could put the original shock back on, but then I'd have to buy one, and take it to the dealer to have it done. Seems a shame, as the Works shock is an expensive piece of equipment. If I did swap it out, would I have to do anything to the front suspension to bring it up as well? I plan to cut the stand down to make it easier to use, but that won't help with cornering.

I would like to increase the "pre-load", but don't know where to begin. Is that a simple affair?

Someone suggested removing the centerstand, which is an interesting thought. I suppose one down side to that would be be if I got a flat tire, how would I deal with that. That might be less to worry about though than wiping out in a turn because parts are dragging. It really prevents me from leaning, because it hits way before my pegs ever would. Anyone have any experience in riding around without a centerstand?
Thanks for all the help so far.
-Marty

You have shortened shocks? Well, there's your problem.

One question: What will you do when you really do need all that cornering clearance to avoid an oncoming truck or something?

I'd ditch the short shocks and stick some standard height ones on.

IMHO do Not cut center stand.Bikerfish 1100 has said it all.add new shocks if U have to and bring bike backto its original condition.You have already lost lots of clearance and if u need to carry a passenger or gear on the back (ie camping) u will loose even even more clearance creating a hazzardous situation at the rear wheel. ( ie pivoting off the centerstand ) not good.

Back