• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HANDY SAM 1200 lift safety bar extension?

icing777

Ride on!!!
Hello, all!
I've started using the HANDY SAM 1200 lift with extensions.
Loving it!
Was thinking...
That safety bar throw is under center part of the lift, making it hard on my back to reach when it's time to lower the lift.
Did anyone come up with the method of elongating it to bring it closer to the edge of the extension, so you can just reach for it without acrobatics?
Don't want to invent the wheel here... :)
Maybe a piece of metal tube with a set screw ? But the safety release piece has a rectangular profile, so maybe square tubing or something...
I don't have a welding machine either.

P.S. Or maybe just a wire to the short side of the lift?

What is your solution if any?

Thanks, guys!

I don't have your particular lift, but mine does have extensions. I think that you have come up with solutions to your question.

I have a Handy Lift with extensions also. I threaded a shoe lace between the extension and the table and lift the safety bar that way.

I have a Handy Lift with extensions also. I threaded a shoe lace between the extension and the table and lift the safety bar that way.

@jerryj Jerry, thanks for the reply!
Could you please give me more details or a picture...

* Do you run the lace to the front (Vise) part of the lift or to the back (rear wheel)?
* Did you have to drill anything, or used the existing hole? If existing - which one?
* Do you have some kind of sheath for the lace?
* If running to the front - how do you achieve the proper motion of the safety bar release handle (red tip), since it has to be pushed toward the back? Some kind of roller that the lace goes around?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I used work boot shoelaces. Tie two together to get enough length. Tie one end to the safety bar. Spread the table extension from the table enough to thread the string through to the top of the table. Make sure it is to bring it up behind the extension support pipe.Use the pipe as your "pulley" or pivot point. Run the string toward the front of the table and put a hook on it and use an existing hole to hook it in.So when you want to raise the bar,pull on the string raising the bar and then hook the hook in the hole.

I used work boot shoelaces. Tie two together to get enough length. Tie one end to the safety bar. Spread the table extension from the table enough to thread the string through to the top of the table. Make sure it is to bring it up behind the extension support pipe.Use the pipe as your "pulley" or pivot point. Run the string toward the front of the table and put a hook on it and use an existing hole to hook it in.So when you want to raise the bar,pull on the string raising the bar and then hook the hook in the hole.

I think I understand the concept :)
Gotta try that!

Thank you!

You will still have to lean over to lower the safety bar. I like the idea of an extension on the bar.

I have a Handy with extensions; had it for almost 12 years. Great lift. I find operating the safety bar a mild irritant, but we all have our own trials and tribulations. Mine is that I am antsy about loading a bike on the lift by myself.

@akbeemer, I don't see why you would need to lean over using the method from @jerryj.
Always a concern to balance the bike by yourself....agree!

Evidently, I do not fully understand jerryj’s idea.

Basically, @jerryj suggests attaching a rope to the safety bar and threading it to the short side of the lift by the vice.
So, a piece of rope will be sticking out for you to pull on to disengage the safety bar.
Hope I explain it well enough :)

Back