• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can't hear my GPS, with Autocom

ANDYVH

I made a simple ball mount on the upper dash panel on my 07 R1200RT for my Garmin 360 (yeah, I know, not a motorcycle specific GPS). For as much as I use a GPS and for as cheap as I got this I'll go with it. I have it wired to the accessory block for constant power, and I routed a 3.5mm cable from the Garmin output port to the input on my Autocom. When I just get on the bike I can hear the GPS just fine in my FF helmet. But even at 35 mph I can just somewhat hear it. On the highway I barely hear anything when the GPS ouputs directions. I have the volume adjusted on the Garmin all the way up which I assume also affects the output port. But I'm not sure of that now.

I adjusted the ambient sound level knob on the Autocom up, thinking that would help. All it really does is pick up all the wind noise and pipe that to my helmet speakers. Is there a separate adjustment for the GPS input volume on the Autocom Super Automatic?

Not to be overly simplistic, but have you turned up the volume on the GPS unit itself?

Hear your GPS

You may have a couple issues. Possible solutions:

You need to figure out if audio output is mono or stereo. Change cords. Cheap and easy.

You may also not have enough power to boost audio that loud. Try a battery operated sound booster:

https://www.amazon.com/Upbeat-Audio...UTF8&qid=1494536223&sr=8-8&keywords=boosteroo

A cable from Autocomm with noise/ground loop isolation filter built in. They make both a stereo and mono 3.5mm cords. $$$$

You can try a mono or stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm ground loop isolating filter $6-7 on amazon, see below.

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Fil...4535933&sr=8-11&keywords=3.5mm+noise+isolator

Hope this helps.

Miles

I ride with ear plugs full-time to cut wind noise. I wired a bike powered Boosteroo and am getting the volume I want from my Zumo while still cutting the wind noise.

Thanks for the replies. Battery should not be the issue because the GPS is powered from.the bike. GARMIN 360 I think in mono output. Cable could be the issue as I'm using a cheapo cable off ebay. Couldn't justify a $37 Autocom cable.

Cant hear GPS

You would be surprised with in line 3.5mm to 3.5 mm noise filter. I was shocked when it made a difference. If it does not work send it back to amazon. No risk.

Miles

Back