• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Canada Insurance

widebmw

This is for us going into Canada.
Every year when I go into Canada I call my insurance agent and he sends me a
Canada Non Resident Inter Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card.

I called my insurance agent today and the girl who answered said that as of last month we do not need them anymore. You just use the same insurance card that you use in the US.

I had my doubts but I called the DMV in Vancover, BC they said I don't need the additional Canadian card.

I still have my doubts, is it true ?
Are you sure?
:dunno

The only thing you need to do is check with your own insurer and make sure your coverage is valid outside the US. Most Canadian provinces require much higher liability coverage than a lot of states. The only way that will likely turn up to the officials is if you are in fact involved in an accident, but that's not the way you want it to come to light.

I called my insurance agent today and the girl who answered said that as of last month we do not need them anymore. You just use the same insurance card that you use in the US.

Thats what we do. We use the same insurance card. Look at the finer print.

Mine states:
Canada Inter-Province applicable within Canada and the United States of America.

If it's true, that is good news, and it is really new(s).

Used to be you would need the card to state the days traveling in Canada, my most recent one is for the whole year. I have Foremost.
My US card makes no mention of foreign soil.

The best thing to do is to call your insurance company, and ask them if they heard of this change. If not, get the card.
Toronto police gave me a hard time about that card once, threatened to tow my car away until I could produce it.

canada insurance

John:

There are two aspects to the insurance issue: compliance with local law, and ensuring you have adequate coverage. The latter involves reviewing your policy and obtaining the advice of your agent as to whether you are covered in all the Canadian provinces.

The former involves satisfying a police officer if you are stopped for some reason. In my province you will be asked to provide proof that you have a current drivers' licence, that your vehicle has insurance, and that it has a current registration. If you have the insurance card with you, I don't think any peace officer is going to question the extent of your coverage; they're just not trained to make that analysis.

Rinty

Some states don't require m/c insurance, Florida being 1 of them.

So what happens when one Florida motorcyclist runs into another Florida motorcyclist...and neither of them have insurance?

Who covers your medical expenses and damages to the motorcycle...or do you just pull out a six shooter and give them an incentive to do so?

And I thought by the tone of your posts on this forum

So what happens when one Florida motorcyclist runs into another Florida motorcyclist...and neither of them have insurance?

Who covers your medical expenses and damages to the motorcycle...or do you just pull out a six shooter and give them an incentive to do so?

that you knew everything.
1-I guess when 1 bike runs into another,the police are called just like any other vehicular accident and the court decides.
2-see #1
2a-about what I expected from you.

that you knew everything.
1-I guess when 1 bike runs into another,the police are called just like any other vehicular accident and the court decides.
2-see #1
2a-about what I expected from you.

Tone? I didn't know there was an audio option on this forum, but thanks for the info.

Court? And what if the driver at fault doesn't have two pennies to rub together?

Living in FL, I carry uninsured motorist insurance for that reason as so many morons don't have insurance....:banghead
Florida is a no-fault State also......:sick

Recently returned from Canada - I called GEICO before I left and asked for the yellow card as I have done many times before, they put it in the mail but I did not receive it in time. I asked the GEICO rep about going without, she told me just carry the GEICO card with the limits on it (100/500/100) and I would be fine.

As for two uninsured motorcyclists running into each other, I am sure they would do as any good red-blooded Americans would do with contested civil liability --- hire a lawyer and sue each other.

(And just a plug to elect for underinsured/uninsured coverage should your insurance offer it, it is critical to have.)

I agree totally with the uninsured/underinsured coverage

Recently returned from Canada - I called GEICO before I left and asked for the yellow card as I have done many times before, they put it in the mail but I did not receive it in time. I asked the GEICO rep about going without, she told me just carry the GEICO card with the limits on it (100/500/100) and I would be fine.

As for two uninsured motorcyclists running into each other, I am sure they would do as any good red-blooded Americans would do with contested civil liability --- hire a lawyer and sue each other.

(And just a plug to elect for underinsured/uninsured coverage should your insurance offer it, it is critical to have.)

living in Florida with a large perentage of the aforementioned drivers with basically nothing to lose in an at fault accident,that coverage is gold.

but I've been reading the state may drop the no-fault soon.Hopefully.

I heard that too,but seeing is believing.

I don't understand what it is about people, but PIP and Liability are MANDATORY. The State(s) however keep issuing plates and licenses because the folks behind the counter see an insurance card, that is invalid the moment the idiots walk out the door with their renewals.:banghead :banghead
Insurance companies should inform the state that 'Taco Bell' just dropped his/her/it's insurance and that he/she/it needs to be pulled over.... It works in Europe.

Couldn't agree more

I heard that too,but seeing is believing.

I don't understand what it is about people, but PIP and Liability are MANDATORY. The State(s) however keep issuing plates and licenses because the folks behind the counter see an insurance card, that is invalid the moment the idiots walk out the door with their renewals.:banghead :banghead
Insurance companies should inform the state that 'Taco Bell' just dropped his/her/it's insurance and that he/she/it needs to be pulled over.... It works in Europe.

but pulling their license doesn't mean squat-they just keep driving.Mandatory jail time is a deterrent,starting at 30 days.You're stopped w/o a license or insurance, it'a a free ride to jail.That may slow them down.

I don't understand what it is about people, but PIP and Liability are MANDATORY. The State(s) however keep issuing plates and licenses because the folks behind the counter see an insurance card, that is invalid the moment the idiots walk out the door with their renewals.

Exactly. That happens up here and would be simple to solve if they'd just implement the following: If you want a plate, you have to buy non-refundable insurance first and pay for it in full (none of this monthly payment thing). And if you want to cancel your insurance, you have to turn in your plate at the licencing bureau first. Only then will you get a confirmation that can be mailed into the insurance company for a refund. Simple...no more uninsured motorists on our roads...at least with their own plate.

In Europe, Italy for example, your insurance card has to be displayed in your car window.

I just got back from a trip to the U.K. and in Liverpool noted that the police had cars on display outside of their station with a large sign saying that they had been seized because the driver was uninsured. Great idea . . . drive w/o insurance and lose your vehicle. That will keep the morons off the road.

Back