• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Burn Oil after Tip Over?

bobs_one

I was out riding with a friend who has a new to him 2018 R1200 GSA. We were heading down a fire road which had started out nice but was quickly becoming pretty muddy/rutted out. As we both had our street tires on, we decided to U-turn and head back the way we came. As I should have expected, after I had turned around and made it back through the bad stretch we had just traveled through, he fell over while making his U-turn. He struggled to lift the bike (it was his first time even trying) and it took me a good 10 minutes to walk back to help him lift it.

The bike had not gone "right over" but was just resting on the cylinder head crash bar (maybe a 45 degree angle).

Anyway, he had a heck of a time re-starting it and once it was started it spewed out huge clouds of smoke (smelt like burning oil and was not coolant) and that continued for a good 15 minutes or more of riding before it stopped. Bike has been ridden several hundred miles since and seems to be ok.

Is burning that much oil after a tip over normal?

I know oil will run down the stem of an open valve, but this seemed like an awful lot of oil had gotten in.

I was out riding with a friend who has a new to him 2018 R1200 GSA. We were heading down a fire road which had started out nice but was quickly becoming pretty muddy/rutted out. As we both had our street tires on, we decided to U-turn and head back the way we came. As I should have expected, after I had turned around and made it back through the bad stretch we had just traveled through, he fell over while making his U-turn. He struggled to lift the bike (it was his first time even trying) and it took me a good 10 minutes to walk back to help him lift it.

The bike had not gone "right over" but was just resting on the cylinder head crash bar (maybe a 45 degree angle).

Anyway, he had a heck of a time re-starting it and once it was started it spewed out huge clouds of smoke (smelt like burning oil and was not coolant) and that continued for a good 15 minutes or more of riding before it stopped. Bike has been ridden several hundred miles since and seems to be ok.

Is burning that much oil after a tip over normal?

I know oil will run down the stem of an open valve, but this seemed like an awful lot of oil had gotten in.

I would call that normal. Classic K bikes - 100, 75, and 1100 - might do that just from parking on the sidestand.:banghead

No, that's NOT normal...this is not a Classic K bike thread. Just trying to keep this germane to the OP's bike and this forum.

The thought that oil might pass the valve stem seal is not really going to cause "huge clouds" of smoke from oil.

If the bike rested on its RH side, it may have allowed some oil to run into the crankcase breather that is vented directly into the lower part of the air box. There it could have been drawn into the intake (most likely the RH side) where it could continue to be slowly drawn in over several minutes of normal riding.

No, that's NOT normal...this is not a Classic K bike thread. Just trying to keep this germane to the OP's bike and this forum.

I meant two things: 1) It could easily be "normal" after a tip over when oil goes where it would not typically go. 2) It takes very little oil to make big clouds, as for example the Classic K bikes allowing a little oil past the unpinned rings.

Next time I will try to be more pedantic since that will make things easier to understand. Sorry to have violated the purity of a wethead thread.

Back