• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

Customer Scenarios

I spent the better part of the day at my local BMW dealer. My goal was to bring this debacle to some sort of closure so I could move on and start riding again. For me the decision was between a loaner (and the $1,000 gear credit) or taking my R1200RT in trade for my original purchase price toward another BMW. In the end, I decided to trade my R1200RT on a new K1600GT. A shout out to Max (Owner) and Rob (General Manager - S. Windsor, CT store) from Max BMW for working with me to turn this into a win-win for all parties. Max and Rob were both genuinely sympathetic to my situation and went above/beyond the BMW NA trade-in scenario to ensure I was a happy, satisfied BMW customer. Hopefully dealers for other R1200RT owners will step up in similar fashion regardless of the scenario/solution a given customer chooses.

:)

I just got off the phone with another Max BMW shop, where I bought my RT, I was told a loaner was not in the cards. Did I shop at the wrong site? The RT is my fourth bike bought from Max.

I just got off the phone with another Max BMW shop, where I bought my RT, I was told a loaner was not in the cards. Did I shop at the wrong site? The RT is my fourth bike bought from Max.

As I understand it, BMW wants the dealers to take from their new stock to provide loaners. BMW would reimburse them by allowing more demo designations on future bikes. However, the discount BMW provides on demo designated bikes won't make the dealer whole. I know when I sold them a few years back the discount was 25% of retail. So yes, below dealer wholesale, but not enough to make up potential profit margins. And as my dealer put it, this isn't a problem he created. He'd rather have BMW pull new bikes from their P5 inventory (bikes made but not committed to dealers), but BMW doesn't want to do that...at least not at this juncture. However, my dealer will provide me a loaner (used bike in his inventory) if I have a specific need. Last week I put over 700 miles on a '13 K16GT, a loaner from his used inventory. I think he's handling it fairly.

The time frame for making and distributing replacement parts is actually reasonably fast. Might be beatable with a full court press / cost no object approach but its not bad at all for a manufacturing and distribution network as large as BMW Motorad.

Almost sounds like this could be as simple as an employee supervision and records issue at the shock maker though it could also be a management choice to meet a delivery schedule- which is one of the common types of cheating by Asian suppliers- sometimes encouraged by customer purchasing depts who know nothing about quality or safety.

Don't see this as a hit to resale value but no doubt will impose costs on many owners which BMW seems to be thinking about.

I've noticed that some in this thread seem to be eager, maybe over eager, buyers using credit to jump into new bikes. A more measured approach like waiting until a model is out a couple years or paying cash for lightly used might be a better approach. I own 4, 2 of which were bought used. You can buy 2 used for 1 new cost and always have a backup in good shape- plus more variety to enjoy.

Cash plus future service?

I was talking with my dealer today and I think I will have the regional manager contact me regarding a scenario that may be more fair than $2500 when the bike is back to ok.

How about the $2500 and 2-3 years of service on the RT to cover this down time? The cash would allow a rental for the next couple of long trips that are planned and the future service calls at no charge would cover restoring the badly damaged faith in the brand. The RT is a good bike, but BMW is looking like the worst at Customer Service.

I mention the Customer Service here because I was at our local HD shop and they also have Recall on ABS brake lines that can lose fluid because of the location of the line. It seems as if the tank can rub the line and cause a fluid loss. No brakes! That could be a bad thing :brow

HD will have the updated lines at the dealer on Tuesday. Dealer got the recall notice this week. One week down for the rider, not 2-3 months. Just Sayin'. BMW has a long way to go to become a real customer oriented company.

Recall

Actually, I think the offers are really solid and fair. My only gripe is not getting calls when promised. However, I have a long history of making a mountain out of a molehill, and I can also get over things quickly. I wish you all the best with this one.

Well, I am keeping mine :D
The option I am taking:
Loan bike plus extra warranty plus the money.
I will spend the money at my dealer and as such the money will go back to my dealer and BMW.
Going to purchase the BMW Charger if they can confirm that it works with the new bike via the accessory socket.
This will keep the battery in good condition while it's parked at home (my agreement with BMW and my dealer that keeps all three of us happy). I wanted the charger anyway.
My wife has been bitching about not having a proper Summer jacket while on her bike, while I have an Airflow jacket.
So now I can get her the BMW Airflow jacket and that will keep both of us happy.

The option I am taking:

I also plan to keep my bike, but the dealer has to participate in the loaner program because BMW USA is not providing bikes for this. The dealer is the one on the hook for this. Not fair at all for the dealer and I can't expect our local dealer to inventory 10 1600GT's as a loaner/demo fleet for the 10 RT's he's delivered.

The dealer is not participating in this program so that leaves few options here. The RT was purchased outright with no financing and I'm betting their buyback program will not include after market lighting, and accessories, etc.

Hopefully the program outlined by BMW will leave some latitude within the categories for Regional Managers to make adjustments in the deal for each customer. That is one of the reasons why Regional Managers exist...Customer Relations.

Like I said earlier, love the RT. Have not ridden a bike in years that combines the feel and road eating ability of this bike. Plan to keep it for 10 years, but this is not a good way to start a 10 year relationship.

I should have been a bit clearer in my earlier post. The only 2 scenarios that would be workable given my situation were a loaner or a trade on another BMW. Once at the dealer, I focused on the trade scenario first. Since we were able to come to an agreement to trade my R1200Rt toward the K1600GT, I never inquired about a loaner.

It's nice to see all the "newer" members posting on the forum.....Welcome!
It's nice to see that a lot of the members realize that this isn't personal.
It's nice to see that BMW is trying to get this issue resolved to the best it can- it's clearly not something that BMW wanted to happen.
Good luck to all.
OM

Swap to K-Bike

I should have been a bit clearer in my earlier post. The only 2 scenarios that would be workable given my situation were a loaner or a trade on another BMW. Once at the dealer, I focused on the trade scenario first. Since we were able to come to an agreement to trade my R1200Rt toward the K1600GT, I never inquired about a loaner.

I am also considering the swap to the K1600GT - can you share your reasons? Mine are the power and weight of the K-Bike versus the nimbleness of the RT. Much of the rest of the two bikes are too similar for me to see much of a difference.

It's nice to see all the "newer" members posting on the forum.....Welcome!
It's nice to see that a lot of the members realize that this isn't personal.
It's nice to see that BMW is trying to get this issue resolved to the best it can- it's clearly not something that BMW wanted to happen.
Good luck to all.
OM

Quick math: if all 8000 RT owners took the $2500, that's $20,000,000. Even for BMW that's a bit of change.

Options with issues

The loaner scenario will only work if the riders insurance and the dealers insurance will agree to swap responsibility. At least thats the way I read the cheat sheet. My dealers insurance will not do that so a loaner is not an option for me.

Thinking seriously of trading up to a K1600GT or selling back to BMW and buying an older bike until the RTWs are back on the market. While it makes sense that there would be a glut of used bikes on the market in the fall, I'm not holding my breath since BMW could simply get them out of the USA and sell them somewhere else where new bikes are priced out of the market.

While I like the idea of BMW buying my bike back, I'm still gonna be out sales tax, fees and registration. I'm still gonna be out the bike specific farkles like crash bars, wind screen, custom seat, head light shield, and peg lowering gizmos. That's a fair chunk of change, about $2000. I want that money back, too. And I want compensation for my grief (pain and suffering). Again, not holding my breath.

Thinking seriously of trading up to a K1600GT or selling back to BMW and buying an older bike until the RTWs are back on the market. While it makes sense that there would be a glut of used bikes on the market in the fall, I'm not holding my breath since BMW could simply get them out of the USA and sell them somewhere else where new bikes are priced out of the market.

Bikes are built for individual national or regional markets with quite a few country-specific parts and emissions controls - IMO it would be cost prohibitive for BMW to retrofit them for other markets. Plus I would doubt they play in the secondary market - I'm betting the dealers will have to sort out the used ones.

Bikes are built for individual national or regional markets with quite a few country-specific parts and emissions controls - IMO it would be cost prohibitive for BMW to retrofit them for other markets. Plus I would doubt they play in the secondary market - I'm betting the dealers will have to sort out the used ones.
Not sure that is true. I discussed that with the service manager and he said all the bikes were now built on a world platrorm except possibly instruments. My dealer said I haven't commited to anything even thou I have a loaner. He doesn't know the time frame for decisions. He expects more info Monday or Tuesday. Quite a stressful time for him right now.

I am also considering the swap to the K1600GT - can you share your reasons? Mine are the power and weight of the K-Bike versus the nimbleness of the RT. Much of the rest of the two bikes are too similar for me to see much of a difference.

Some background. Got back in motorcycling late last year after a 35+ year hiatus. Purchased a Suzuki DL650 - quickly realized I wanted something with more power and a more "refined" ride. Liked the size/weight of the Suzuki. Initially test rode a BMW F800GT - nice but still not quite what I was after. Initially hesitant to try a R1200RT (too big/heavy or so I thought...) - took one for a test ride, fell in love with it and bought one. Looked at the K1600's on the dealer floor but never took one out for a test ride (remember, I was hesitant to try the R1200RT and the K1600GT looked so much bigger than the R1200RT + 125 lbs. heavier + the additional cost).

Fast forward to this morning. Took the dealer's K1600GT demo bike for a couple of test rides - the first 15-20 minutes, the second about an hour. I had read the K1600 motors were incredibly smooth and powerful - but I was still very (pleasantly) surprised when I experienced it firsthand. The motor is silky smooth (btw - I do like the Boxer motor but it has a different "character"), tons of reserve power always on tap in every gear, and the bike is surprisingly nimble once underway. You'd never guess the bike weighs 730+ pounds - it doesn't feel heavy, it doesn't feel like it wants to fall over, it corners very well and to my surprise was easy to balance when coming to stops. No vibration in the grips or foot pegs that I could detect. In the hands of a more experienced rider, the R1200RT probably goes through the twisty's a little faster; however, that's not my riding style. I'll probably never scrape anything going through a corner - at least, not on purpose. I really enjoyed riding the K1600GT - especially after the first few minutes when I realized the size/weight was not going to be an issue.

I liked my R1200RT a lot and had it not been for the Stop Ride I'd probably have racked up a 100K miles on it and never tried the K1600GT. However, for me personally, waiting a couple of months for the R1200RT to get fixed is a show stopper (I no longer have the Suzuki to fall back on). Given my situation, I think trading the R1200RT toward the K1600GT was the best choice.

:)

Quick math: if all 8000 RT owners took the $2500, that's $20,000,000. Even for BMW that's a bit of change.

If my math is right, it's 0.18% of their 2012 annual pre-tax profit. For the motorcycle division it's not insignificant, for BMW the corporation the damage to the brand is probably much more painful than the direct financial impact.

Battery charger

I have the BMW battery charger PN 71607688865 on my 2014 R1200RT right now stored in my garage. I am keeping the bike at home till parts received. Working well as it did on my previous 2011.

The option I am taking:
I will spend the money at my dealer and as such the money will go back to my dealer and BMW.
Going to purchase the BMW Charger if they can confirm that it works with the new bike via the accessory socket.
This will keep the battery in good condition while it's parked at home (my agreement with BMW and my dealer that keeps all three of us happy). I wanted the charger anyway.
My wife has been bitching about not having a proper Summer jacket while on her bike, while I have an Airflow jacket.
So now I can get her the BMW Airflow jacket and that will keep both of us happy.

Back