• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

That is some good news, as opposed to the "no news" we've been getting.

Any word on a timetable for the repair?

RickeyG

I have to say that this seems like a pretty decent way to respond.

I would agree. However, looking at the choices, I would summarize them as follows........

1) If you'll wait, we'll refund 11.4% of the $22K purchase price

2) If you want a loaner and we can do it, we'll give you a 4.5% credit on products.

3) If you want new or different, we'll refund your purchase price and, if you buy BMW, provide a 4.5% credit on products.

In my opinion, I would find out how soon you could get a new RT before making any choices. If you've accumulated any miles on the current bike and can get a new one, with a BMW product credit, that's a no-brainer.

I would agree. However, looking at the choices, I would summarize them as follows........

2) If you want a loaner and we can do it, we'll give you a 4.5% credit on products.

3) If you want new or different, we'll refund your purchase price and, if you buy BMW, provide a 4.5% credit on products.

In my opinion, I would find out how soon you could get a new RT before making any choices. If you've accumulated any miles on the current bike and can get a new one, with a BMW product credit, that's a no-brainer.

I hope the person who posted that image will forgive me for asking, but has that program been verified as real? We all want it to be, of course.

Full refund inc sales tax? Replace RT with what? K/GT?

I am wondering what "repurchased" would mean in this instance. The memo does not indicate if full purchase price paid will be refunded, and if it is considered a refund, will I get the state sales tax refunded back, a not insignificant amount. I.E. wipe the slate clean,as if I never owned it in the first place? And what model would one replace the RT with? K1600GT? Anyone ridden both and can offer a comparison of the rides? I am missing my early morning rides mightily.

TIA

R.F.

Not sure I want another (different) bike. Either $2,500.00 or loaner and $1,000 credit...prob the cash. Need to know specific fix time-window.

In my case, I view it as a half measure along the lines of a decent starting point.

Each owners situation is different and I suspect some will be happy and others looking at the offer matrix as not enough. Frankly, the repairs and back on the road date will probably be closer to the end of September for many owners. The compensation amount I've always had in mind is $3,200. plus an additional year tacked on. So for me close, but not quite there yet.

There are no other BMWs which I would consider with the exception of a K1600gt, but it is too heavy and $4,000 more and then I'm willing to pay out of pocket. I do note BMWNA is offering a $1250. rebate on showroom '14 gts. I waited almost a year to buy the new '14 R1200RT and not able to ride it this summer really stings hard.

The stop riding winner!

Seems to me the used market could get heavy with the 2014 wetheads! There could be some real bargains
Out there come late Summer! So is 2500 bucks enough! I think that is short ,all things considered! I paid full MSRP for my bike, then I get 2500, I am guessing joe blow could walk into the BMW store late summer and buy the same bike for 18,500. Ouch! I am a looser with the 2500 kicker and have been most of the summer with no scooter! Don Miller 2014 RTD

Seems to me the used market could get heavy with the 2014 wetheads! There could be some real bargains
Out there come late Summer! So is 2500 bucks enough! I think that is short ,all things considered! I paid full MSRP for my bike, then I get 2500, I am guessing joe blow could walk into the BMW store late summer and buy the same bike for 18,500. Ouch! I am a looser with the 2500 kicker and have been most of the summer with no scooter! Don Miller 2014 RTD

I think the used market will get heavy with partially used loaners of various types!

Neil TasteMoringa.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dealer called this morning, confirmed earlier posted options. Also said regional rep is sticking with an August expectation for parts and fix. Also noted BMW will refund actual price paid...dealer added he'd expect no prorating if bike had a 1,000 or less miles and certainly some prorated formula with those folks having higher mileage, 10,000 miles, as an example. I'm thinking best possible situation, bike fixed and back to me mid August, with a $2,500 check in the saddlebag.

Dealer called this morning, confirmed earlier posted options. Also said regional rep is sticking with an August expectation for parts and fix. Also noted BMW will refund actual price paid...dealer added he'd expect no prorating if bike had a 1,000 or less miles and certainly some prorated formula with those folks having higher mileage, 10,000 miles, as an example. I'm thinking best possible situation, bike fixed and back to me mid August, with a $2,500 check in the saddlebag.

What about options? I have about $3000 of BMW options like tank bag, top case, and sports exhaust.

$2,500

I will take the $2,500 and be glad I still have my 2007 R1200RT

0714rt.jpg

Motodan, did they suggest a timeframe if we want to have them buy it back?

My dealer said he has spoken to our regional rep and he's stated mid August and is sticking with that. That said, Jay, from BMW Customer Service told me yesterday that the announcement was to include a more specific timeline, but apparently it didn't.

This decision would be much easier if I didn't like the bike and the fact that a shock replacement is pretty cut and dry. Given it is a metal rod defect I don't see a lasting stigma regarding the bike...as opposed to the surging problems for early 2000-2004 models (which was fixable with an add on fueling computer). I'm quite displeased not having the bike to ride, but it is just one aspect of life and a lesser one at that. Having it available in a couple of months or so...with a check for $2,500, is fine with me. I can made a lot of lemonade with that. Plus my dealer stated if I have a specific need, for a trip, he'll support me just like he did last week...it is a win-win!

I have no dog in fight - as aptly put before.

However, I think this is a very suitable and palatable choice of options that BMW is providing. Choosing the best one for you, may be a tough choice.

Could be some other winners in the marketplace, used loaners, fixed 2014 RTs. I did a test ride on one, and am choosing the 15 model, but I may have to revisit that if my dealer all of a sudden has repaired RTs that are low mileage mileage available after the dust clears.

This is a sweet ride. Remarkable improvements over my 2008.

Confirmed

In answer of Emoto's question, I was at a dealer today and they showed me the same chart as posted here - so it's legitimate.

Congratulations to all of you who bought from dealers that actually communicate (truthfully) with you. We don't seem to have that here in Orlando/Daytona. Which is yet another factor that will weigh on my decision. Everything I know about this situation, I have learned from this forum, not from the dealers.

RickeyG

Congratulations to all of you who bought from dealers that actually communicate (truthfully) with you. We don't seem to have that here in Orlando/Daytona. Which is yet another factor that will weigh on my decision. Everything I know about this situation, I have learned from this forum, not from the dealers.

RickeyG

I really didn't get the sense speaking to my dealer that BMW did a great job keeping them informed. May not be ill intent, they just don't seem to know either. And I felt like the mood there was pretty subdued, with not very many customers in the dealership on a Saturday. This may already be having a ripple effect across the entire product line, not just RT sales. Definitely sucks for us, but the dealers are also suffering for really no fault of their own.

Customer Scenarios - Followup

I spent the better part of the day at my local BMW dealer. My goal was to bring this debacle to some sort of closure so I could move on and start riding again. For me the decision was between a loaner (and the $1,000 gear credit) or taking my R1200RT in trade for my original purchase price toward another BMW. In the end, I decided to trade my R1200RT on a new K1600GT. A shout out to Max (Owner) and Rob (General Manager - S. Windsor, CT store) from Max BMW for working with me to turn this into a win-win for all parties. Max and Rob were both genuinely sympathetic to my situation and went above/beyond the BMW NA trade-in scenario to ensure I was a happy, satisfied BMW customer. Hopefully dealers for other R1200RT owners will step up in similar fashion regardless of the scenario/solution a given customer chooses.

:)

Back