• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

My thoughts. the RTW 2014 will be fixed soon enough. It is a very sweet ride, and a few months wait (one, two or more) will be worth that wait. And if it is in the fall, you might get a deal on a 14 or order the 2015.

Five stages of mourning. Guess some folks are at #5 while others are stuck along the way.

1. Denial and Isolation
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

Some folks are worrying about reduced value do to a possible glut of '14 RT's come Fall...good question, but how many '14 RT are on the road and what balance is in the BMW pipeline...yet to be sold? Might there be 200 sitting in dealers and in New Jersey that haven't been delivered to end customer? If that's a possibility then 600 on the USA streets? If a third trade in early, will 200 bikes spread over 150 or so dealers used inventory, really make a difference?

Applying some of the logic shared thus far, by forum posters, than the K16 has already dropped in value. With mid June $1,250 discounts and $1,000 additional BMW goodwill money, what will the K16's be worth this September or next year? There appears to already be a glut of them, otherwise why the sale? Have to question their rate of diminishing market value. Might be the GS's would be a better "value conscience" trade if worried about future worth..they aren't being factory discounted at this time.

I'm reminded of the early 2000 RT's and their surging problems, I don't recall there being anything more than the usual Fall discounting. And of course BMW stating there was no problem. 2008 - 2009 RT's had a defective antenna that PO'ed a lot of folks. It took BMW quite a while to get that to a recall status...I don't recall that specific years/model market price falling at an excessive rate.

One thing about we US buyers, we have a relative short memory and dealers have the primary resource for keeping prices at a reasonable (for them) level...they have the bike just about everyone, who has one, says they like and there's not much else out there they really want. I wouldn't be to worried about a perceived future value, especially because of a defect and fixed shock piston/rod. Soon will be back to bashing Rick's saddles and the yet higher cost of gasoline.

The Norton is in storage - probably going to stay there for now. I've been trying to decide if I could settle for the runner-up - today the answer is "no".

Jono, I just thought of something. I still have the stock rear shock from my 2005 R12GS that I took off when I changed to Wilbers. Do you want to see if it will fit your RTW? It isn't ESA, but so what. Ping me privately, if so.

Well, I am keeping mine :D
The option I am taking:
Loan bike plus extra warranty plus the money.

Are the Australia options about the same as the ones offered by BMWNA?
I see you mention extra warranty, I don't think that was an option with BMWMA.

K1600 verses R1200RT

I own both the K1600GTL and the R1200RTW and love both bikes. Each one has it's strong points and weaknesses and I must admit I flip a coin which one to ride. My first RT was an R1100 then the 1150 and last one was the R1200RT before the wet head. I only had my RTW for a couple of weeks and 300 miles before the stop ride was put out so really did not have time to truly evaluate it. Impressions were very favorable as compared the R1200RT that it replaced. The bottom line. Both the R and K are good bikes and I would ride either. I do plan on keeping my RT and taking the cash. Personal opinion BMW did the right thing and stepped up to the plate with the stop ride notice. And it looks like they are trying to work out a reasonable fix the whole mess.

Calls are going out today for the USA.
Options:
Buy Back (to include tax and license)
Loaner with incentive ($1k IIRC)
$2500 for your pain and suffering to be paid when your bike is fixed
Trade-in for another model +$1000 (again, full price for the trade-in, could have been $2k, again I was listening for the $2500 option)

The latest word is September for the repair. Works for me because it's too hot to ride in July and August here in the SW.

Greg/Gerg
2014 R1200RT
2013 Piaffio BV350
2010 Yamaha TW200
1978 R100/7 in pieces

Calls are going out today for the USA.
Options:
Buy Back (to include tax and license)
Loaner with incentive ($1k IIRC)
$2500 for your pain and suffering to be paid when your bike is fixed
Trade-in for another model +$1000 (again, full price for the trade-in, could have been $2k, again I was listening for the $2500 option)

The latest word is September for the repair. Works for me because it's too hot to ride in July and August here in the SW.

Greg/Gerg
2014 R1200RT
2013 Piaffio BV350
2010 Yamaha TW200
1978 R100/7 in pieces
Good news! Welcome to the forum!
TW200 :burnout
Gary

Customer Support - NOT!

Wow - what a useless 10 minutes!

Just got through to the Customer Support line and heard the following in response to my statement of the four options:

Option 1: Wait for the repair - "no expected repair date information; unofficial rumor is September or October"
Option 2: Loaner - "strictly up to the dealer"
Option 3: Trade in - "strictly up to the dealer; BMW can't help locate a K1600GT if the dealer has none"
Option 4: Buy back - "they could help me with that"

Rep admitted he hadn't seen the four options as yet. Spectacularly unimpressed - they can only help if you want your money back (presumably to go buy a different brand).

Isn't there any in the warehouse in NJ?

I think the point is - these people on the phone can't help. I'm sure BMW NA could help if they wanted to; either for the loaners or for the available inventory.

Wow - what a useless 10 minutes!

Just got through to the Customer Support line and heard the following in response to my statement of the four options:

Option 1: Wait for the repair - "no expected repair date information; unofficial rumor is September or October"
Option 2: Loaner - "strictly up to the dealer"
Option 3: Trade in - "strictly up to the dealer; BMW can't help locate a K1600GT if the dealer has none"
Option 4: Buy back - "they could help me with that"

Rep admitted he hadn't seen the four options as yet. Spectacularly unimpressed - they can only help if you want your money back (presumably to go buy a different brand).

First, decide what you are going to do.

Customer Service doesn't have bikes for sale in their lobby. If you want a different bike, go to your dealer and check his inventory and/or what he can order for you. He will handle all the necessary paper work and transaction details for the trade and getting you a $1,000 check. BMW doesn't help find bikes for their dealers..the dealers simply look in the All Dealer online inventory listing and snatches the one you want. BMW gets it to the dealer usually in 7 to 10 days. Or dealer might be able to trade with another close by dealer.

If you are going to have your bike fixed, nothing more from you is needed until the parts are in. You can then get your bike to the dealer - Free - as BMW Road Ass't will take it there...you will need to call them. Once the bike is fixed you will get it back with a check for $2,500.

BMW can't force a dealer to give his inventory up as loaners. And what BMW is offering the dealers thus far doesn't cover his potential loss..and dealer didn't create this problem. Some dealers will participate and some won't.

When I spoke to BMWCS this morning they are still hoping for a fix by mid August...8 weeks. That is the same estimate our Regional Rep is stating. So not sure who you spoke to (that didn't even know the four options yet), but my sources seem to have some knowledge on the topic at hand. If that is the case, BMW will be paying me $278.00 a week (including week already down) to not ride my bike. I can live with that. More time for Papa and the grandkids at the pool, less gas to buy, less almost being hit by cages and more of getting "other" things done.

I'd say the options are spectacular given today's corp climate. You just need to take control and move forward on a decision. Maybe your frustration is more the combination of not riding and not being able to make that decision...I can understand that. My dealer will give me a loaner if I have a specific need, it would be used BMW. That's fine by me.

I'm waiting for the fix and $2,500 as there's no other bike I want to jump to, plus what I said above...there's more in life than motorcycling.

First, decide what you are going to do.

Uh - that's supposedly why they set up the Customer Service staff. The bulletin said, "The Customer Relations staff is prepared to provide support and guidance in the next steps in the process". They guy I spoke to said (paraphrasing), "the only thing I can help you with is if you want your money back".

My dealer is not offering a loaner, he is also only looking at his inventory for K1600's, there are widely different rumors about the repair time, and my bike - whose alarm horn ceased to work right before the stop ride, is sitting on the street without an alarm - so forgive my apparent shortcomings, this is a difficult decision for me given the ambiguity.

Last edited:
They guy I spoke to said (paraphrasing), "the only thing I can help you with is if you want your money back".
This is really an offer I have never seen before......BMW has made a major :thumb in my book. I have been in this position all too many times and had to, due to no "lemon" type relief, had to go it alone.

My dealer is not offering a loaner, he is also only looking at his inventory for K1600's, there are widely different rumors about the repair time, and my bike - whose alarm horn ceased to work right before the stop ride, is sitting on the street without an alarm - so forgive my apparent shortcomings, this is a difficult decision for me given the ambiguity.
Did you ask for a loaner? were you denied? Are you just venting- due to the circumstances? Did you ask for BMW road service to bring your bike to the shop for repair of the alarm horn?
OM

This is really an offer I have never seen before......BMW has made a major :thumb in my book. I have been in this position all too many times and had to, due to no "lemon" type relief, had to go it alone.

This is the option I'm currently leaning towards. As a Life Member of the MOA, it's the first time in three decades I'm serious about buying another brand.

Did you ask for a loaner? were you denied? Are you just venting- due to the circumstances? Did you ask for BMW road service to bring your bike to the shop for repair of the alarm horn?
OM

Yes, I asked for a loaner and was denied. I asked for escalation - I'm expecting to hear back on Tuesday. Having said that, I don't know if the insurance requirement will work - my broker hasn't figured it out yet. I had a scheduled appointment for the day after the stop ride which was canceled. The dealer is stalling waiting for something - not sure what other than perhaps a desire to not have to store 20-25 bikes indefinitely.

Uh - that's supposedly why they set up the Customer Service staff. The bulletin said, "The Customer Relations staff is prepared to provide support and guidance in the next steps in the process". They guy I spoke to said (paraphrasing), "the only thing I can help you with is if you want your money back".

Doesn't do any good to sit and state what one thinks was suppose to happen. Call BMW ass't and have them deliver your bike to the dealer or a different dealer...now it is out of the street with no alarm. Now if you want the $2,500 just leave it at the dealer and tell them to fix the alarm while they wait for the shock.

If you want to trade, call your dealer and tell him that. Tell him what bike you want and the options you desire. Ask him to check BMW's P5 category...these are BMW inventory bikes that dealers pull from outside their allotted units. If he refuses, call Customer Service and ask them to intervene on your behalf. Also ask them if you can't deal with a different dealer (you can).

Some dealers will not participate in a loaner program because, at this point, BMW is only offering to expand the dealer's Demo bike assignment. Many deals feel this short changes them for a problem they did not create. I understand the dealers' position.

If you want them to buy the bike back tell them that and they will handle it.

These folks don't know exactly when the parts will be on the bikes. They are hoping for mid August, but it could be earlier or later. I'm betting in two months I'll have a "fixed" bike. Make your best guess and base your decision on that.

The three times I've spoken to BMWCS they've been more than willing to call dealer(s) and/or set into motion which option I chose. Given your statement the "Rep" hadn't seen the four options yet, suggest you need to call and ask for a more informed "Rep". I even had Jay call me back one time thus far....they are waiting for you to decide. Don't sit in frustration because of one phone call or a particular dealer. Get proactive and take charge. But first take time to decide what you really want to do. Then when you start down that road people will be glad to help you. And of course there's no need to make a decision right now...that's totally up to you.

Last edited:
This is the option I'm currently leaning towards. As a Life Member of the MOA, it's the first time in three decades I'm serious about buying another brand.

Yes, I asked for a loaner and was denied. I asked for escalation - I'm expecting to hear back on Tuesday. Having said that, I don't know if the insurance requirement will work - my broker hasn't figured it out yet. I had a scheduled appointment for the day after the stop ride which was canceled. The dealer is stalling waiting for something - not sure what other than perhaps a desire to not have to store 20-25 bikes indefinitely.

The insurance deal shouldn't be that hard. You can insure a vehicle you don't own, think "lease". If BMW or your dealer provide you a loaner they are essentially leasing you the bike and they are paying the lease. Run that scenario past your insurance agent.

Doesn't do any good to sit and state what one thinks was suppose to happen. Call BMW ass't and have them deliver your bike to the dealer or a different dealer...now it is out of the street with no alarm. Now if you want the $2,500 just leave it at the dealer and tell them to fix the alarm while they wait for the shock.

If you want to trade, call your dealer and tell him that. Tell him what bike you want and the options you desire. Ask him to check BMW's P5 category...these are BMW inventory bikes that dealers pull from outside their allotted units. If he refuses, call Customer Service and ask them to intervene on your behalf. Also ask them if you can't deal with a different dealer (you can).

Some dealers will not participate in a loaner program because, at this point, BMW is only offering to expand the dealer's Demo bike assignment. Many deals feel this short changes them for a problem they did not create. I understand the dealers' position.

If you want them to buy the bike back tell them that and they will handle it.

These folks don't know exactly when the parts will be on the bikes. They are hoping for mid August, but it could be earlier or later. I'm betting in two months I'll have a "fixed" bike. Make your best guess and base your decision on that.

The three times I've spoken to BMWCS they've been more than willing to call dealer(s) and/or set into motion which option I chose. Given your statement the "Rep" hadn't seen the four options yet, suggest you need to call and ask for a more informed "Rep". I even had Jay call me back one time thus far....they are waiting for you to decide. Don't sit in frustration because of one phone call or a particular dealer. Get proactive and take charge. But first take time to decide what you really want to do. Then when you start down that road people will be glad to help you. And of course there's no need to make a decision right now...that's totally up to you.

Several good replies Motodan. Jono I believe if you call roadside ass't they are obligated to tow your bike in. Then it is up to the dealer to do what needs to be done. Like Motodan says, be proactive.

Having been following this thread since I too got the call to stop riding my RTW. While not happy about it I think I can relate to the "Big picture"

My RTW is on the way to the dealer tomorrow to sit and wait. The Customer Reps I talked with this AM at BMWNA did not know anything about the 4 options. So while I wait for my RTW to be repaired, I guess I will ride my 05 RT a while longer. I am optimisitcally thinking maybe by the end of Sept I might have my motorcycle back. Not real sure I would want a K1600. I really like the RT, and the new version looks and rides pretty nice. I only got 700 miles on mine before the stop ride.

Bill B.

Several good replies Motodan. Jono I believe if you call roadside ass't they are obligated to tow your bike in. Then it is up to the dealer to do what needs to be done. Like Motodan says, be proactive.

In case this isn't obvious - I spent most of Saturday either at one dealer or on the phone to another being proactive. I'm expecting a call from the selling dealer tomorrow with a response.

Back