• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Customer Service = TERRIBLE

D

DanMoyer

I have an '06 K1200R. One of the H7 headlamp bulbs burned out. While changing it, the little wire spring-clip that holds the bulb in place, was dropped and lost down a drain hole. Looked up the headlight parts fiche & noticed that the clips are not shown. Contacted two dealers who confirmed that the clip isn't on the fiche and doesn't have a part number. Both said that the only way to get a replacement clip was to buy the complete headlight assembly!!

I contacted BMW Motorrad Customer Service in both Canada and the U.S., and was told that there was nothing they could do about it and that all I could do was to "register a complaint", which would then "go into their system". They said that I would receive no feedback from them and that if the dealer says that I have to buy a $500 headlight assembly to replace a 3-cent clip, then that was what I'd have to do, and there was nothing they could do about it.

Is this what BMW calls "Customer Service"?? Obviously somebody made a simple mistake when creating the fiche and the parts list, but BMW won't take any responsibility for it and won't do anything to correct it. Their answer is to make you, the customer, pay hundreds of dollars for an assembly you don't need, just so you can get a replacement for a 3-cent wire spring clip.

If you get a chance to meet any BMW company reps, bring this up and ask them to justify it.

:scratch:dunno:banghead

Dan, what is really dumb about this is that they will probably lose a customer (you) and the sale of a new bike someday, all for a two-bit part. What is ironic is that if you had the original clip you could make a new one yourself.

I dithered for three years about buying a R-RT, weighing their customer service and design flaw issues (final drive). I took the plunge for a 2011 RT and haven't had any problems at all, but often wonder about the wisdom of it. I never had that feeling when I bought a Honda.

OK, I have to ask: Who dropped the clip down the drain hole?

pete

I can't tell here who it was that dropped the clip down the drain, but I believe my cat ate one of my fairing bolts.
Either that or it's so well hidden that it's impossible (for me) to find.
There ought to be someplace where a generic, similar clip can be found. Or modified to fit.
But yes, no company sells parts of parts. They only sell parts. Complete unit parts.
Shop around or just make your own clip out of a paper clip. Stranger fixes have been done in the past.
dc

There was another post about this just recently. I'll try to find it.

One of the issues for OEM suppliers is what to keep on inventory as this is a direct cost to them; especially on inventory that does not move

It is much more cost effective for them to have complete assemblies than support a myriad of parts with unrealistic consumption.

Not a good scenario for the consumer but effective for the supplier

Not siding with the OEM just stating a fact of life

Example - I just paid $570 for a steering angle sensor for my car as the steering angle sensor itself is not available - it is part of the whole turn signal/cruise control assembly :lurk

Check ebay

You won't find the specific retainer for your moto but something very close. I just did a search "headlight bulb retainer" and a few clips look really close to what is on my R1200GS. Price is right too.

A good dealer would be able to source a replacement for you from a wrecked bike, etc. That clip has to be a standard part used by BMW for several models over a number of years. I'm sure the dealer could come up with one somewhere. There are also a few motorcycle recycling businesses in S. California. You might also try one of them. I'll bet they can come up with the part for you.

Get a little inspection mirror and a tiny flashlight and you'll find the clip down there, somewhere. Get a magnet and fish it out.

Yikes! Before the OP gets further frustrated, it would nice to have someone check to see if it's stainless- non ferrous, not magnetic. OM

Just a thought...

If that's an H7 bulb is probably is configured very closely to other applications. Wonder if something out of a VW (or other) might be close enough to alter?

Passat
$(KGrHqF,!rcE88g9cKRSBPe7FFcUMg~~60_35.JPG

Lexus GS300
m-UMBCNyDI0Hu7hj-gmJt5w.jpg

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKIV--3.2/Lighting/OEM/ES310758/ (below)
137787_x600.jpg

I'd definitely be going down that drain with a magnet.

edit - aside from the hassle... this doesn't look that hard to fabricate from music wire (from a hobby shop).

Misc_Photos_017.jpg
Misc_Photos_025.jpg

I'm not trying to be cute but why not just jerry rig something & get a bike junk yard to sell you something later?
In my "overhaul it in the gravel days" I hunted for more stuff than I care to remember! As to the dealer, give them a break, they don't have it as an affordable part & that's not their fault,time to move toward a solution.:)

As a former spring maker, I would get me a piece of about .020 stainless wire and a pair of needle nose pliers and bend up something that will work, any local spring shop will give you a couple feet of wire for nothing.

You can do it, or depending on the stainless type and carbon content in it you may be able to use a magnet to get it out of the drain, most likely just a 302/304 stainless and there is some carbon it and is somewhat magnetic.

Yikes! Before the OP gets further frustrated, it would nice to have someone check to see if it's stainless- non ferrous, not magnetic. OM

The clip on my K1300S is ferrous. The headlight on the K1200R is completly different, but I bet it's ferrous also.

As a former spring maker, I would get me a piece of about .020 stainless wire and a pair of needle nose pliers and bend up something that will work, any local spring shop will give you a couple feet of wire for nothing.

You can do it, or depending on the stainless type and carbon content in it you may be able to use a magnet to get it out of the drain, most likely just a 302/304 stainless and there is some carbon it and is somewhat magnetic.
Welcome to the forum, and the discussion :thumb OM

Dan - Tell us where you are: I'll bet somebody here can steer you to a private shoppe (as in BMW MC but not "authorized"), where you can dig up a replacement. There are at least three of these places within a half-hour ride from me & David13.

Why don't you post the name of the two places that call themselves dealers that didn't solve this for you. They don't deserve my business.

Out sourcing

You guys are forgetting that that assembly might be outsourced to a manufacturer who supplies BMW with the complete unit and that is the only way they can acquire it.

I remember when you could buy a wheel bearing. My Chevy truck had a front wheel bearing go out and instead of buying a 12 dollar bearing, I had to buy a $354 front hub assembly. That is the way production is being done these days; get used to it.

I'll throw this in: If you worked on vehicles everyday this is commonplace to need a part of an assy & find you have to buy the whole assy. This does not = a bad dealer situation. Building wrecks it is really common to find you need a small part & NA new & the junkyards have to be your buddy & their in person as too small to inventory the little stuff. As an e.g., often the "little stuff" is piled in the trunk of a car or in the interior with grass growing on it while you have to shell out if you are to buy that small piece new. I was building a new BMW car and needed the green plastic clip that retains the tranny hose ends as not there & had to buy the whole hose. Pricey but the reality & again you are faulting about a situation that is a bitter pill but common. Again,move on to a solution. This is not a customer service thread IMO.

headlight clip

why not try a place like beemer boneyard. or a place with wrecked bikes. I would think the clip might still be in some of those bikes. when a deer hit my bike and it was total they brought to salvage and I know I didn't remove those clips before they got the bike.

Back