• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bluetooth helmets

MonkeyBoy

Does anyone have experience with bluetooth and helmet speaker systems? I would like to outfit my Nolan 102 w/ speakers and run mp3 and SIRIUS satellite radio via bluetooth. any ideas???

That could work, but if it is like the Scala Rider the sound is only mono, as it doesn't support the A2DP stereo profile.

Another a couple other options, neither of which are available yet, are the J&M product supposedly due in April, and the Chatterbox GMRS X1 Bluetooth, due in June or so. Both of these claim to support stereo. Looks like this summer we will have some new "toys" to play with!!

I bought the Interphone unit and it works as advertised.:) J&M is coming out with A2DP stereo sets in April or so I read. I needed a unit for my cellphone as I was missing to much business. Amazing that folks will not leave a message and wait an hour for a reply..... So I now have my cellphone on on my bike just for those impatient people :banghead :banghead

I have found it much more practical (and less expensive) to simply use "in ear headphones" for my music, GPS, needs. I rigged a stereo extension cord from my Garmin Zumo to where the front of my seat and gas tank meet (yea, right in "that" area). Works well for me.

I've been looking around for a solution for this set up: Communicate with my passenger, and we each get to listen to our own music.

I had been looking at the Nolan N-Com system. A steep investment at about $500 for the wiring plus the cost of the helmets. Then the dealer calls to tell me that "oh did I mention you can listen to your music but it's in mono" You didn't have to listen hard to hear that deal fall through

The Interphone unit looks like a good option, no new helmet needed, and no additional wires. We can each wear earbuds for our tunes, manually turn it down to talk to each other. Has anyone tried this combo?

Now where is that thread about good earbuds??

thanks for the pointers.

I have not yet found a stereo bluetooth to helmet solution yet. I have used the Nolan system, it's good for phone communications (only 'good') but NOT at all intended for music. BT v2.0 is slow in development and release, for some reason, and NONE of the manufacturers using it really seems to understand what the customer is really seeking. All in 'due time' I suppose?

Baehr GmbH is working on a new version of their Baehr BluePhone Bluetooth?« Adapter to also allow the Garmin Zumo Garmin 2820, or BMW Nav III GPS to wirelessly connect to any Baehr system.

The product that they currently have in production is the
Baehr BluePhone Bluetooth?« Adapter, for wireless connection to any Bluetooth cell phone (not all Bluetooth devices) It provides a Universal Interface (for the following Baehr's Intercom models: ULTIMA XL, K1200LT, R1150RT, VERSO XL, ACTIVE and SOLO.

Blurtooth

I've looked at this stuff as well and while it sound great in concept, in actual practice it is just not ready for prime time in the application I am intresed in.

Have used BT for some time for cell phone but in helmt stereo, gps, phone... is a ways away

Starcome & Shure

I use a Starcom Advance device to get sound from my iPod into my helmet (see 7/06 issue of BMW ON, also

http://www.starcom1.com/therange.htm

I use Shure E3c earbuds, they sound great and block wind noise (see

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/index.htm

Starcom makes a Bluetooth module, but have told me by e-mail that it is not suitable for music, as you have learned from Nolan.

I don't like the wires hanging from my helmet, but that's an aesthetic judgement. In my use, these two devices work well and are not a distraction. I turn off the iPod when riding in traffic, and probably wouldn't use earbuds at all in city traffic.

Back