• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best Windjammer III windshield replacement?

rbryson

My windshield cracked at the bottom around the screws. I have read that CEE-BEE makes a replacement that is thicker than the original. Is it also more scratch resistent? If it is thicker does that pose problems when it is mounted. Some companies make windshields with vents. Do they work? Do they leak in the rain? Any other comments. Thanks:wave

Craig Vetter is now selling shields and vents and repair parts for the fairings on his site
http://www.craigvetter.com/ I've been pretty happy with my last vetter shield, going on 9 years and no cracks or major scratches in almost 130K. The pop out vents work pretty well and never had a problem with them letting rain get back on me. Plus for me, the pop out vents sort of "define" the vetter, if you get my drift. :lol

RM

I have a spare Vetter shield.

EDIT: Windshield. I looked at his website and he made some shield for hippies to fend off police. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those.

Rocketman, thanks for the feedback. The last shield I got lasted less than two seasons...hence the original post asking about durability and fit of thicker shields. Glad to hear that the vents work and don't leak. I am leaning toward a vented shield. I agree they are unique...especially if they actually work.

Cb

I have a CeeBaily and it is great. My only concern is for the motor that raises and lowers the screen. It is very thick. I am very happy with it.

Kelly

The Windjammer holds the windshield stationary so the weight is not a concern. However, if the shield is very thick I am wondering if it will fit smoothly with the fairing or will it jut out some over the lip where the screws attach it to the fairing. The last fairing (can't remember the maker) cracked easily around the nylon screws. I wish someone made a thicker windshield that was vented.

The old answer was Gustaffson (or Gustaffsen) Plastics - somewhere in Florida I think.

Haven't heard much of them lately, so don't know.

Happy Google hunting!

Cee Bailey Vetter Windjammer III windshield replacement

My windshield cracked at the bottom around the screws. I have read that CEE-BEE makes a replacement that is thicker than the original. Is it also more scratch resistent? If it is thicker does that pose problems when it is mounted. Some companies make windshields with vents. Do they work? Do they leak in the rain? Any other comments. Thanks:wave

I just called Cee Bailey and they had it to me in under a week. It is thicker and I got a slight gray tint. Love it. I paid $109 for it, no vents. I got the one that is 3" shorter, so now I ride a slight (veeerrrry slightly) smaller barn through the breeze. Good quality, but I had to drill the holes at the widest point...it wasn't a perfect fit there. Easy though. Oh it did not come with any hardware, so I used my existing nylon bolts and the two side clips (those were the ones I had to drill holes for--the ones Cee Bailey drilled were about 1/4" off.

The PO had installed a lot of stuff on my fairing (CB in the left pocket, CycleSound with raido/cassette so I can play Tom T Hall on the steeeereo I guess).

:dance

I have a CeeBaily and it is great. My only concern is for the motor that raises and lowers the screen. It is very thick. I am very happy with it.

Kelly
...uh, windshield motor on an airhead? Is that bolted on to the muffler bearings or just under the radiator spline? :dunno.

Last edited:
I just called Cee Bailey and they had it to me in under a week. It is thicker and I got a slight gray tint. Love it. I paid $109 for it, no vents. I got the one that is 3" shorter, so now I ride a slight (veeerrrry slightly) smaller barn through the breeze. Good quality, but I had to drill the holes at the widest point...it wasn't a perfect fit there. Easy though.
:dance

...uh, windshield motor on an airhead? Is that bolted on to the muffler bearings or just under the radiator spline? :dunno.

I was sort of wondering about that too, never seen one or even heard of that on an airhead, certainly not stock but does sound kool on hot days that would be great. Love that feature of the LT.

Heck go whole hog and get one of the old radio units that fit the jammer! they are still around on ebay. Just watch your load on the alt. though!:lol

RM

Rocketman, thanks for the feedback. The last shield I got lasted less than two seasons...hence the original post asking about durability and fit of thicker shields. Glad to hear that the vents work and don't leak. I am leaning toward a vented shield. I agree they are unique...especially if they actually work.
If its cracking around the screws perhaps they were too tight although I know you can only get the nylon ones just SO tight, also if it was cracking around the top ones use the clips vetter sells for the top two screw holes as I understand it they were design to help prevent that cracking. I know my first shield cracked within two years and then I went with the clips where I had the regular nylon screws there. It givesthe shield more support where the most flexing happens.

RM

I vent by stretching up about two inches with my lid up. Nice blast to the face. The stock/PO shield was too tall to do that on my bike, this one is just right.

.uh, windshield motor on an airhead? Is that bolted on to the muffler bearings or just under the radiator spline? .

Just below right muffler bearing, near the air pump.

For Nathan

Love your photos, nice work. You said you had a spare. Do you want to sell it?
Rbryson:wave

Last edited:
If it's a Vetter it should fit W'Jammers I-III. They all took the same size windshield I believe. Nonetheless, check to see that it is 21 inches wide at the widest point near the bottom and between 21 and 23 inches tall. Also, any scratches and/or cracks?
Rb

If it's a Vetter it should fit W'Jammers I-III. They all took the same size windshield I believe. Nonetheless, check to see that it is 21 inches wide at the widest point near the bottom and between 21 and 23 inches tall. Also, any scratches and/or cracks?
Rb

No scratches or cracks that I know of. I think there is a small AMA sticker in the lower corner. I'll check it out on Friday night and post some pics for you if the dimensions are right.

Rb

I think mine's the other way around. 23" wide (near the bottom) and 21" tall. :dunno

Attachments

• nov 9 033.jpg
    nov 9 033.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back