• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BEST Birthday Present Ever!!

rjw

Hello fellow BMW people. I'm a new BMW owner as of Nov 15 of 2013. (my birthday) My wife knew what bike I wanted, but she also knew I was not going to spend that much money on myself. I had been talking about getting a Kawasaki Concours, but I had been talking about what I REALLY wanted since 2012 when the K1600GTL came out. (We had visited it at the dealership many times.) My wife completely surprised me on my birthday last year with a brand new 2014 K1600 GTL. She called me at work and told me to be home at 5pm because we were going out for my birthday. So, I come home from work at about 5pm and I get a telephone call from this guy at the BMW dealership as soon as I walk in the door. He says he has a new bike that he just got in and it has everything I was wanting on it, including the armrests for my wife. He wants me to come down and take a look at it. I told him no, I have plans tonight for my birthday and can't make it tonight. He does his best to talk me into coming to see it tonight, even saying it was sold to someone and wouldn't be there tomorrow for me to see. (My wife was at the dealership waiting for me to show up.) So, my wife arrives home in the next 10 minutes and we leave to go out and eat. I still have no idea whats coming. I think she's driving to meet some friends at the restaurant, when she turns down the street towards the BMW dealership. She said she wanted to stop by and look at something. So, I immediately say, "Did that guy call you from the dealership? He called me too!! right before you got home, wanting me to come look at a motorcycle. She goes along with me, saying yeah, he called me too. So, I'm thinking we're going to stop by, take a look at it, and head on down to the restaurant for my birthday. We walk in the door to the showroom and there is the K1600GTL that I have been looking at, sitting facing the door, with a big ribbon on it. I was so surprised, it took me about 30 seconds after I walked in to figure out what was going on! I couldn't believe she had bought it for me. That's my story of how I came to be joining the BMWMOA.org and this forum. So far, it is hands down the BEST motorcycle I've ever ridden. I started riding when I was in kindergarten on a lawnmower mini-bike, then graduated to a 1969 Honda mini-trail 50, then Honda 70, then Yamaha 80, 125, 250, KZ1000, wait 25 years raising kids, then THE BEEMER!

Maybe I'll make it to the BMW rally this year. I'm looking forward to meeting some other BMW owners and putting a lot of miles on this Summer.

photo 3.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
Does she have a sister? :D
Gary

What he said.

We actually met the other day in the dealership - wish I had known your story then - I'd have asked about the sister thing at that time.

I'm down around Eufaula if you ever want to go for a ride down here.

Welcome and enjoy!

I would actually pay to have your wife give mine some lessons on "gift giving"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kinda restores my faith in humanity. I was going to say "marriage", but my SO migth someday read this so...

This isn't mac. I'm just using his computer...

Kinda brings a tear to my eye!

Lovely wife! That woman deserves a big diamond or something.
Great bike!

Thanks for being a member!

Great bike, fantastic gift and wonderful gesture by your wife. You are a fortunate man indeed.

Does Mrs rjw ride? Could be the prelude to a second new bike. Spouses have been known to use that gambit in the past... or so I've heard.

Wow! This story made my day! You are a very fortunate guy! She sure had you hoodwinked. Welcome to the MOA with this awesome ride.

Kinda brings a tear to my eye!

Lovely wife! That woman deserves a big diamond or something.
Great bike!

Thanks for being a member!

I bought her the big diamond 4 years ago. She said, when I get my motorcycle I better be riding in with a big diamond for her! It was worth it.

What he said.

We actually met the other day in the dealership - wish I had known your story then - I'd have asked about the sister thing at that time.

I'm down around Eufaula if you ever want to go for a ride down here.

Welcome and enjoy!

I would actually pay to have your wife give mine some lessons on "gift giving"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Were you the guy with his son? What do you ride? Are you going to the new BMW club meeting on the 26th?

Were you the guy with his son? What do you ride? Are you going to the new BMW club meeting on the 26th?

Yeah, that was me, picking up the "high speed scooter" while they serviced my R1200GS. I about killed us on that darn thing. They really should link the brakes and take the rear brake lever off the left bar. Been riding clutched bikes way too long to not "pull in the clutch".:banghead

I have it on my calendar and can hopefully make it. Kids activities seem to keep me pretty busy.

Back