• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery - Lithium or AGM

k1200crazy

Any one recently tried or are using a Lithium battery for their K1200? Pros / Cons? I need to replace my battery now and am torn between the two. I have been using a BIKEMASTER Gell battery ... Thoughts?

My next battery for my 2010 R1200RT will be a LiFePo4 battery. But no personal experience. It's something I have been researching to replace the 12v on my 2013 Nissan Leaf. And the advantage of the LiFePo4 out way their cost.

No personal experience with this, but from other threads:
Will the charging system of the K1200 keep it properly up to snuff? And if not, would your external lithium-compatible charger pose a hazard to the bike's other electronics?
Does it have to be "warmed up" a little bit (by turning on the lights) before starting?

No personal experience with this, but from other threads:
Will the charging system of the K1200 keep it properly up to snuff? And if not, would your external lithium-compatible charger pose a hazard to the bike's other electronics?
Does it have to be "warmed up" a little bit (by turning on the lights) before starting?
Most LiFePo4 battery have a built in charge controller to make the vehicle's charging system works properly with the battery. Based on my research for my Nissan Leaf it's superior to AGM battery.

I have a decade plus using them . Currently have one in my 2023 R1250RS . Pros light weight , more cranking amps . Cons if you do not ride all year or let the dealer run it to ZERO volts due to bad ECU while waiting on replacement it will ruin the battery . If you forget like I have charging one with a normal charger it will rupture if charged to quickly . The Shori is a good unit and I have over 7 years on two of them in bikes I kept that long .
Ive also carried a micro unit out of my drag bike on cross country tours the size of a cigarette pack that has rescued many of my friends bikes with dead batteries .
C14 , Gold Wing , FJR1300 , ZRX's

If you have accessories that drain your battery you can not use a Lithium battery .

Right now I have 2 K's with Lithium battery one going on 6 years which is a house brand and the other with an Anti-Gravity with re-start. That one I've being let it go dead and use the restart and that works great. The only thing I have to do is reset the clock. Other than that, no problems either.

I have an antigravity battery in my 1200 GSA and so far it is working quite well. I went through three AGM's in less than 4 years and am done with them.
I ride a lot too, so it isn't that the bike sits around a lot. YMMV

BMWs are heavy so you’re not really doing yourself any favors with weight by going Lithium. You don’t really feel the difference. They’re more expensive and may not last as long…also, there’s some concern about cold start.

with that said, I have Lithium in all of my bikes. Have had no issues, they seem to discharge slower than AGM and are so far, lasting just as long.

Lithium is reported to help with BMW problems-

lithium-carbonate-is-a-mood-stabilizer-used-to-treat-mood-disorders-and-anxiety-drug-bottle.jpg

:brad :brad :brad

OM

Any one recently tried or are using a Lithium battery for their K1200? Pros / Cons? I need to replace my battery now and am torn between the two. I have been using a BIKEMASTER Gell battery ... Thoughts?

No direct experience with "lithium" bike batteries, but I've been using Odyssey AGM batteries for over 15 years, and the one currently in my K1200RS is 11 years old and going strong. In truth, not all lasted that long, but across 5 bikes I'm averaging about 9 years. They hold a charge for a very long time, and when they do finely wear out you see the warning signs well in advance. I'm not sure what can be improved here but the saving of a few pounds, which on most BMW bikes isn't even noticeable, but it's your bike, so do what you want. :thumb

No direct experience with "lithium" bike batteries, but I've been using Odyssey AGM batteries for over 15 years, and the one currently in my K1200RS is 11 years old and going strong. In truth, not all lasted that long, but across 5 bikes I'm averaging about 9 years. They hold a charge for a very long time, and when they do finely wear out you see the warning signs well in advance. I'm not sure what can be improved here but the saving of a few pounds, which on most BMW bikes isn't even noticeable, but it's your bike, so do what you want. :thumb

Sadly you can't get an Odyssey for the wet-head GS/A . I wish I could, as that was the best battery I used in my oil-head GSA for 100K miles...

Oh yes you can!

Sadly you can't get an Odyssey for the wet-head GS/A . I wish I could, as that was the best battery I used in my oil-head GSA for 100K miles...

Ahem, yes you can. As of last October Odyssey introduced this:
I have one in my 2020 GSA. Perfect fit.

Attachments

• Odyssey_Battery_ODS-AGM14-3.pdf
    213.3 KB · Views: 39
I've used several Shorai batteries in my bikes over the years. They seemingly last forever, especially when compared to lead-acid AGM batteries. The light weight is just a bonus. Never had any problem keeping them charged using the bikes electrical system. Having said that, if your bike has any parasitic draw, like an alarm system, a Lithium battery can be pulled down faster than a comparable AGM. The only other downside is cost (but if they last 3-4 times as long as an AGM, they pay for themselves) and they don't tolerate colder temperatures as well as a lead-acid battery.

I've used several Shorai batteries in my bikes over the years. They seemingly last forever, especially when compared to lead-acid AGM batteries. The light weight is just a bonus. Never had any problem keeping them charged using the bikes electrical system. Having said that, if your bike has any parasitic draw, like an alarm system, a Lithium battery can be pulled down faster than a comparable AGM. The only other downside is cost (but if they last 3-4 times as long as an AGM, they pay for themselves) and they don't tolerate colder temperatures as well as a lead-acid battery.

Could you expand a little on "seemingly last forever"? Like how many years have they lasted for you? Thanks.

Certainly a lithium battery will cause your motorbike to spontaneously combust like a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Right?
Or simply explode in a magnificent fireball when pressing the starter button in freezing temperatures. Right?

Not the same Lithium battery in the Boeing 787(Lithium Ion) vs LiFePo4. Lithium Ion is the stuff used in cell phones etc...that are known to ignite. Not the same as LiFePo4. Which is what this thread is about.

I prefer Li Ion. I have them in all my bikes. (2014 GSA; 2015 wing F6B; 2008 ZG1400; 1986 ZG1000) PRO - lighter, no mess, more durable if cared for. CON - more expensive, special charger, more sensitive to complete discharge.

In my GSA, I went with an Antigravity ATX12-HD. Heavy Duty, 8Ah, Lithium with Built in Re-Start. Yes this is physically larger but with minor trimming of the bottom foam plate, it fits well. Do not install without foam underneath for trail shock adsorbtion.

Re-Start is the manufacturer's tech that trips an internal breaker to retain enough juice to start the bike if a battery drain lowers power level to a determined voltage. Same tech stops a rider or tech from running the battery to complete discharge, there by protecting the unit from what computer techs often ref to as an "I D 10 T" error. Pronounced "I D ten T" but looks alot like idiot. ��

The reset button is on the top so to get to the button the battery has to come out. Antigravity has and expensive addon to get past this but don't get it. I found the same reset can be obtained by simply breaking the circuit. I do this by simply disconnecting/replacing the exposed negative battery terminal cable. I have only used this option once on the trail in AK. Yes, it was user error but most of us make one of those now and then.

Hope that helps.

Could you expand a little on "seemingly last forever"? Like how many years have they lasted for you? Thanks.

I put a Shorai battery in a 2001 ZX-12 I had when lithium batteries first came out. It was still in the bike when I sold it a year ago, so I'd say it lasted what...12 years and still going? I also have one in an old Ducati ST4 that must be 6 or 7 years old now, still works, although that bike has a small parasitic draw that requires I keep the battery on a trickle charger. All my sport bikes had Shorai batterys in them...zero problems as long as it was above freezing out. I'm old enough now that I no longer ride sport bikes like I used to and they have all been sold except the Ducati. I would hesitate to put a lithium battery in a touring bike where you might wake up in a hotel in the mountains with frost on the ground. There's a "warming" ritual Shorai wants you to go through before starting in cold temperatures, but I've come VERY close to a no-start condition in unexpected below freezing temps on a couple of rides.

I put a Shorai battery in a 2001 ZX-12 I had when lithium batteries first came out. It was still in the bike when I sold it a year ago, so I'd say it lasted what...12 years and still going? I also have one in an old Ducati ST4 that must be 6 or 7 years old now, still works, although that bike has a small parasitic draw that requires I keep the battery on a trickle charger. All my sport bikes had Shorai batterys in them...zero problems as long as it was above freezing out. I'm old enough now that I no longer ride sport bikes like I used to and they have all been sold except the Ducati. I would hesitate to put a lithium battery in a touring bike where you might wake up in a hotel in the mountains with frost on the ground. There's a "warming" ritual Shorai wants you to go through before starting in cold temperatures, but I've come VERY close to a no-start condition in unexpected below freezing temps on a couple of rides.

That sounds like very good service life indeed. I get about the same performance from the Odyssey batteries I've been using and they have never done a sudden death on me. Thanks for sharing this info.

Back