• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Attack of the Electrical Gremlin

ALIENHITCHHIKER

the bike: 2000 R1100RT, 110K miles with new HES installed at ~ 80K

the Gremlin: switched on the ignition, raised the side stand and hit the starter button - Nothing! Looking more closely I realized that no lights were coming on, the fuel pump was silent, the RID was black and no power to the windshield. Interestingly, with the ignition switched off the clock displays, though it goes blank and then resets to 0000 each time the ignition is switched on and off.

All fuses check out. The battery is charged to 13.1v. The clutch lever cutoff switch was removed long ago. The side stand cutoff switch is still in place.

Other electrical mods over the years: Techlusion unit in line with the O2 sensor, headlight high beam switch on a relay, Kissan Signal Minder in place of stock turn signal unit, flashing LEDs tapped into the rear brake light circuit.

Any and all input is welcomed. (I'll start with the ignition switch though I fear this may be something far worse)

Last edited:
I might be wrong but it sounds to me like an AGM battery with a broken intercell or interplate connector. This condition often displays a normal appearing voltage with no load or minimal load but because of the broken connector cannot carry any significant amperage. As soon as a load, even as small as a tail light load,is applied it can cause the voltage to drop to very minimal. I once had a battery that read 12.7 volts just sitting but connecting only a tail light bulb (one I use as a test light) caused the voltage read by a volt meter to drop to 0.4 volt.

I would attach a volt meter and turn on the key to see what happens. Then hit the starter button. It might not even be enough to engage the starter relay.

Paul,

-- First - Thank you for your prompt reply. I must have caught you sitting at your computer.

-- Second - I ran your suggested diagnostic. Ignition off = 12.9v from the battery. Ignition on = 0.35 to 0.4v.

Let me know the next rally you plan to attend (once this pandemic settles down) and I will do my darnedest to be there to buy you a beer.

Again, thank you!

....report back the results.

Results are in my thank you response to Paul - though I did not mention that the battery in question is indeed an AGM.

Ultimate confirmation, I suppose, is awaiting installation of a new battery, but I am confident that the problem has been identified, per Mr. Glaves' suggestion.

Bee-A-Uti-Ful

Picked up a new battery yesterday.
Installed it today and ---
the electrons are flowing again; the gremlin has been vanquished!!!

Thank you MOA forum and more specifically thank you Paul Glaves. This is not the first time I have benefitted from the deep pool of experience and moto-wisdom of MOA members. It's what keeps me coming back.

Back