• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Argghhhhh!!!!

d_day_6

LDR Poseur!
I am replacing the plastic oil filler pipe (where the filler plug screws into on the left cylinder of my R1100GS) and it seem like it is taking a lot of pressure to pop the O ring that surrounds the small pipe down into the opening. I don't want to snap this thing a have plastic bits in my cyclinder, so if anyone has some words of wisdom I am all ears...

I know you have to align the small flange so it fits to the groove so the pipe doesn't spin with the filler cap when you open the plug. But it seems like you'd almost have to tap it with a small hammer, but that seems to ham handed to me.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you are referring to the plastic collar with the surrounding O ring that secures the filler cap, it has been safer to press it out whenever I have done a valve adjustment; that is, with the valve cover removed. IMHO, a piece a cake.:thumb

I don't want to snap this thing a have plastic bits in my cyclinder, so if anyone has some words of wisdom I am all ears...

no need to worry about that, the fill hole only goes down to the rocker arms, the "top" of the head. the plastic bits would have to be pretty creative to get down past the valves:laugh

but as suggested, removing the valve cover would be the best way to deal with this. just remove the four bolts on the cover and tap the cover with your palm to break the seal. a few table spoons of oil will come out, so have a drain pan ready under the head. make sure you clean the seal and torque the cover properly when putting it back together.

OK .....will do. Thanks guys. I appreciate you helping this ham handed mechanic.

Here's to ya!:drink

You might also try warming up the plastic piece in a bowl of hot water, as in hot from the tap. It might slide in a bit easier and be less likely to break.

I tried that and I know it makes it more flexible, but it also expands it somewhat and makes it harder to push down into the valve cover. I took the valve cover off this morning and I am warming it to expand the metal and slightly warming the plastic part that snaps in place.
I tried to insert the piece from underneath the valve cover, but no go, it is too big.
Once the cover is warm enough, I will try and gently tap it from above.
I can't believe I am having such a hard time with this, but then again, this is all new to me...:dunno

Well, I just tapped the filler plug housing, but just a little too deep and broke the flange off......lesson learned. A $15.00 mistake, but I learned something. I may be in for an expensive education learning how to work on my bike. But I guess thats the cost of admission.:nod

Smearing a bit of liquid dishwashing detergent on the O ring will make slipping the collar back into the valve cover with not much more effort than steady pressure using the end of a screwdriver handle. (Been through this task many times):thumb

Back