• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

are these stock handle bars ?

brant914

Hi everyone
thank you in advance for any help or insight

I'm still assembling this 1971 R75/5
its my first beemer... so forgive me for such a novice question

I am wondering if these are the WRONG handle bars

I say this because all of my cables are short
and these are the USA long cables for the US bars
(I know because I initially bought the short bar cables and had to turn around and buy the long ones instead)

so I'm wondering if the previous owner put taller bars onto this bike
and I was hoping someone would measure their bars and give me a reference to know if I have the wrong handle bars

Here is a picture
I measured from the point where the bar passes through the clamp on the triple tree ... measured up to the point where the bar starts to bend
it roughly 7.5... or 8 inches on my bars. and to the bar bend is sorta an estimate

thanks for any input
brant
bar4.jpg

I owe you both an apology
I was out of town over the weekend and never got back to this thread
I'll measure mine the way that Max is measuring tonight and update

Ill also get a better picture of the bars mounted.. not so close up

thank you again
thanks for referencing the max site too... I hadn't noticed the measured pictures there... that should help a ton when I get my measurements tonight
brant

Number

It seems to me that a couple of handlebars I ran across had the BMW logo stamped on them.

I think the highest or tallest handle bars without a cross brace were mounted on the R100RT bikes. Anything tall with a cross brace would have been for a GS. Looking at the Max site, you might have the RT bars. The are almost 12 inches versus 10 for the tall bars that were stock on your bike.

It will be interesting to see what your measurements are. St.

Hi everyone
thank you in advance for any help or insight

I'm still assembling this 1971 R75/5
its my first beemer... so forgive me for such a novice question

I am wondering if these are the WRONG handle bars

I say this because all of my cables are short
and these are the USA long cables for the US bars
(I know because I initially bought the short bar cables and had to turn around and buy the long ones instead)

so I'm wondering if the previous owner put taller bars onto this bike
and I was hoping someone would measure their bars and give me a reference to know if I have the wrong handle bars

Here is a picture
I measured from the point where the bar passes through the clamp on the triple tree ... measured up to the point where the bar starts to bend
it roughly 7.5... or 8 inches on my bars. and to the bar bend is sorta an estimate

thanks for any input
brant
View attachment 87310
Compared to yours, measuring as you did, mine are 6 to 6.5 inches to the same point. They are BMW US bars.

some updated pictures.

I need to re-measure my height with the tape measure more in alignment with the way Max measured the sample.

here is one from a larger distance, to show a different perspective

Looks like my bars are 28 wide..
and I'm going to try again with the height. but it already looks like it will be taller than the max measurements.

I think I had better buy some different bars if I want my cables to be the right length
brant

ATTACH=CONFIG]87363[/ATTACH]2.jpg3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 82
So

So not to be a jerk but if the bars are the right bars for your bike, are you sure you got the right cables? If you ordered the right ones, did they ship you the right ones? Mistakes have been known to happen. St.

not at jerk at all

I think I got it correct.
in that I accidently ordered the short ones (have a full set now) which were way off
so did a bunch of research and followed the part numbers from Bob's BMW

the part numbers on the 2nd set of US-long cables showed correct when I took the tags off and mounted them.
but always possible that they were mislabeled still
I did measure them and they showed the length that was described on the website to verify before mounting....

of course I've messed up thousands of times in my life when I thought I had something correct.
still.... I was pretty thorough after the 1st mistake of short cables.

I'm going to order a set of bars from EME
(they are close in denver, so much quicker on delivery)
I'll hold the new bars up to these and see what I learn, before I disassemble yet again.....

brant

Wow, just seeing the picture...those look like serious "bus driver" bars! Maybe they look different when not surrounded by a fairing, etc., but those things look huge! :)

Wow, just seeing the picture...those look like serious "bus driver" bars! Maybe they look different when not surrounded by a fairing, etc., but those things look huge! :)

I agree. At first glance at the photo showing the bars and front of bike my instant conclusion was that those are not OEM bars. They are too tall.

Did you

Did you remeasure the bars you have and compare the numbers to the pictures on the Max site? As I found, the RT bars found on the /7 bikes are a lot taller than what would be the tall bars on a /5. Your pictures show pretty tall bars or perhaps I am confused and looking at someone else's bike? St.

Maybe bars from one of the BMW Cruiser models. Seems like I remember one of those bars were very long and chopperesque. :brow

Did you remeasure the bars you have and compare the numbers to the pictures on the Max site? As I found, the RT bars found on the /7 bikes are a lot taller than what would be the tall bars on a /5. Your pictures show pretty tall bars or perhaps I am confused and looking at someone else's bike? St.

I re-measured last night.
28 and 12 inches deep

of course that was with the bars mounted and not laying flat like max.... so there could be a small amount of error.

new bars ordered from EME, and should arrive on friday

Whew.... 3rd time I've had to remove the controls and take the bars off...
at least I should be better at it... but still hate repeating my assembly work over and over

hopefully this weekend I will finally be able to hook up my throttle cables and also hope my front brake cable will not be over stretched... like it is right now with the tall bars.

thanks everyone for the advice and help
I really appreciate all of you for your guidance and knowledge
brant

Back