• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone had to invoke the Lemon Law for a BMW motorcyle?

Hello.
I understand this topic has the potential to go full flame. Especially since this is post #1 for me.
Just hear me out.
I am curious if anyone has gone through with the Lemon Law process or a buy back with a BMW motorcycle.

I am on Water Pump #4 with 1900 miles on a 2015 R1200GSA. 6 months old.
Original failed (1)
Replacement 1 failed. (2)
Replacement 2 failed. (3)
The bike is in now for number 4.

I have researched the dreaded blue weep hole issue up and down. I came to the conclusion that it may not be that big of a deal. Until the dealer/service center told me today point blank to start working on invoking and proceeding with the Lemon Law. They are currently replacing the water pump again and want to work with BMW to see if there is another issue somewhere else in the bike that could be causing this problem.
Between how many times this has been replaced and the number of days in the shop already I am close or in the Lemon Law area.

There is a whole legal industry dedicated to exercising my Lemon Law protection and those who want to deny it. So I am here to ask if anyone has had to deal with the Lemon Law and in particular with a BMW motorcycle. I am now beginning my research on this and thought this would be the a good place to ask for any past experience from BMW riders directly.

Any input in having to deal with such a situation would be beneficial.

Thank you!

If BMW made this as easy as an Amazon.com return I would just ask for the same bike. No hassle. I really do love this bike despite the pump/seal issue.
Not sure if lemon law is applicable here, it was my understanding that vehicle had to become unusable to qualify,

Here in Florida the lemon law does not apply to MCs; however, I was told there is a federal lemon law that could be referenced. Also, told that if you choose to get your $ back vice a new bike BMW will never sell you another bike (don't know how they can do that). I was told this by a Ducati Regional Rep.

Interesting that the OP sent out the inquiry, got some PM replies and has been silent for three months. I wonder what happened? I looked at the Lemon Law provisions for Washington State (where OP lives it seems) and it looks like motorcycles are covered. Very odd...

Interesting that the OP sent out the inquiry, got some PM replies and has been silent for three months. I wonder what happened? I looked at the Lemon Law provisions for Washington State (where OP lives it seems) and it looks like motorcycles are covered. Very odd...
It's real nice when there is follow through or resolution to a thread but it doesn't happen very often. I have a thread running on the irv-2 motorhome forum that's around 5 years old (running).
Forums are a great source of information and experiences that, while may not be the same for everyone, lets or helps other Members make up their minds.
A beginning, middle, end or continuing evolution is one of the things we look for in the Best of Forum Series.
OM

I have a some what dated but relevant experience BMW production workers, mechanics and engineers are people just like us...foible

I bought a R100RT new, my first BMW and a big deal in our family budget. At 10,000 miles the clutch splines failed and stranded me in Kapuskasing Ontario..the middle of nowhere! Shipped the bike back to Vt and the dealer put in a new spline shaft under warrantee...

Another 10,000 miles goes by and it fails again. highly unusual ..lucky not far from home and the dealer picks up the bike and fixes it again.

Another 10,000 miles goes by and it fails again..out of warrantee now. The Dealer and BMW are really scratching their heads to figure out the problem.
After a lot of discussion and thought someone decided the measure the transmission case facing dimensions. It turns out that the trans mission case face was not machined so it was square with the engine case which caused a tilt at that interface and wobble on the splines/clutch plate hence high wear.

BMW fixed again at no cost to me....the bike ran fine another 65K miles till I traded it.

Some times s#$%t just happens....it is how we deal with it is the real measure

Interesting situation, and it would be nice if we could learn how it turned out.

As for leaks/seepage etc., I have a 2015 GSA that I bought in early November, 2015. Coolant started to weep through that infamous hole, but I noticed that I was not losing very much coolant at all. I topped it up once, with all of 1 ½ oz (it was mid-way between min/max on the overflow reservoir). I'm now at 6,000 miles and the weeping has stopped. I did a five-day ride at the end of April, probably a couple of thousand miles, and there was zero signs of seepage from the weep hole (and none since).

I'd be interested in knowing if the OP experienced a leak (low level in reservoir, or puddle on the garage floor etc.), or just seepage, with little loss of coolant.

Back