• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why The Hate from BMW mechanics for the 650GS?

sportsbud1

I gotta ask this question that has been nagging me. I have a 2001 F650GS previously had a 2003 F650GS and one thing I have uncovered in my reading is there seems to be a general pattern of hate from BMW mechanics for the 650GS. They state that the funduro was great but that BMW made it horrible when they came out with the F650GS. What would be the reason? I can say from my small sample size of 2 bikes the issues I have seen have been generic and could have been faced by any bike. The F650GS is a smooth reliable machine from what I have seen that can do most of everything asked of it.

This is more of a question of what am I missing? Any light that can be shed on the subject?

I gotta ask this question that has been nagging me. I have a 2001 F650GS previously had a 2003 F650GS and one thing I have uncovered in my reading is there seems to be a general pattern of hate from BMW mechanics for the 650GS. They state that the funduro was great but that BMW made it horrible when they came out with the F650GS. What would be the reason? I can say from my small sample size of 2 bikes the issues I have seen have been generic and could have been faced by any bike. The F650GS is a smooth reliable machine from what I have seen that can do most of everything asked of it.

This is more of a question of what am I missing? Any light that can be shed on the subject?
Voni and I each had a Funduro and I had a 2001 F650GS Dakar. I consider all three bikes to have been just fine! The injection system was a major improvement over the carburetors.

Last edited:
When I did the trade for the 01 F650GS I randomly ran into an old bmw mechanic and he proceeded to tell me that he hated working on them then never really elaborated why.... Also this 01' has almost no surging especially compared to my 1100RT bikes...

I think your sample is much too small to draw any conclusions about mechanics in general. Annie had an 07 F650GS and we never had any negative feedback from anyone at a dealership. She never had anything more serious than a leaking fork seal go wrong with the bike. You may also be seeing the mechanics reaction to having to work on an older bike. Some BMW shops refuse to work on bikes older than 10 years. They just don't have mechanics who are trained and experienced with the bikes.

It's not just running into the one mechanic. It was reading quite a few forums and noting several instances of hatred for the bike from self proclaimed mechanics...

We had an earlier carbureted version. It was reliable and ran OK but the vibration was something else, worse than a KLR 650 and much worse than a DR 650. I thought it was just the bike design but others have since told me they had no such problem with theirs.

Maybe “mechanics” don’t like the messy oil change procedure with 2 drains?

I had a G650X Xchallange and I can say that with that model they definitely brought back the vibration... it was pretty brutal actually and the only reason why I got rid of it... It was going to give me arthritis...

It's not just running into the one mechanic. It was reading quite a few forums and noting several instances of hatred for the bike from self proclaimed mechanics...
You will fine in most forums it is easier to write negative items than positive. The positive people are out riding and having fun on there bikes, not sitting in front of a computer or phone.;)

I'm sure it was a little to do with most of any of the services starting with having to take off the turn signals... :rolleyes:
whereas with most of the same vintage boxers, everything was exposed.

I was looking back at my old photos from when I rode the 03' to Colorado and back. I did have a hiccup when the chain adjuster broke loose and caught in the wheel.

Attachments

• KIMG1111.JPG
    KIMG1111.JPG
    796 KB · Views: 6
Back