• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another TPMS Question

Jim144G

2018 R12 GS with sidecar and automotive rim and tire on the rear. TPMS reads 3.5 to 4 psi low. Problem is I should have 30 to 32 psi, but to avoid Low Tire Warning I need to have 35 to 36 psi actual. Everyone I ask says the setpoint can not be changed. Is there any way to disable the warning for the rear tire only? Alternatively is there a sensor which reads 4 or 5 psi higher than actual?

Center of tread is wearing. See photo after 6200 niles.

20210809_075539(1).jpgRear Tread 6200 Miles.jpg

Last edited:
Rear TPMS

Find someone with a GS-911 or Motoscan and they should be able to remove the serial number of the rear sensor so that it doesn't indicate. However, it might throw a code that would be more intrusive than the low pressure error. Your dealer could also remove the serial number.

Interesting question! I ran a car tire on a stock GSA rim for my sidecar till the one tire that fit was no longer in production. My tpms warning came on at 29psi and I ran 32psi with no trouble. That was on a 2012 GSA; not sure if they raised the threshold since then.

So I thought about it from a different angle. Some MC tires are stiffer than others. Is that true for car tires as well? Would running a run flat tire with a stiff carcass allow you to run those few extra pounds while maintaining the flat contact patch?

Pete

When I ran DarkSide I switched front for rear on the TPMS. I used the rear as my front reading and the front as the rear. You just need to code the TPMS reversing the order they are in now. The front has a lower threshold then the rear. You just have to remember when looking at your gauge they are reverse. I just made note of the numbers, deleted them both, and coded the rear to the front and the front to the rear using the GS-911.

Back