• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TPMS Sensor Part# and Size Confusion

GTRider
Time for new tires on my 2010 K1300GT and decided to replace the original TPMS sensors at the same time. On the MaxBMW fiche it looks like the originals were 36 31 8 532 731 or 732, both NLA. There’s also a 36 31 8 567 683, also NLA, that is superseded by 36 31 9 832 032 at the insane price of $224.07—no shade on Max, that’s all on BMW. With the service kits for each sensor, that comes to over $550 just in parts to replace sensors. When I bought a used spare rear wheel for this bike I picked up a new TPMS sensor for it, at around $100, and was OK with that- but not $225.

Yes, there are eBay and Amazon offerings, but I’ve heard enough horror stories on those RE fitment and quality that I’m not interested. Nor am I interested in digging out the old battery and replacing it, tho that remains as a last-ditch option.

I started researching the matter here and elsewhere and found that around 2018-2021 BMW changed suppliers, away from Schrader, and that Schrader had developed a replacement sensor specifically programmed for use in BMW motorcycles, the 3141M and some related information. The 3141M sells for roughly $53US (after removing VAT) plus shipping, but…SchraderNA does NOT sell it and European vendors won’t ship it to the US. Perhaps the Europeans have better”right to repair” regs than we do? Or just less manufacturer-mandated restrictions on their parts vendors? More “gray market” research is needed…. Anyway, the 3141M is shown as a direct replacement for the 36 31 9 832 032 BMW sensor that is supposed to supersede my OEM sensor.

Next, I found this article referencing an unprogrammed Schrader sensor that matches the 3141M, the 33900, and should work with BMW bikes once programmed as per the article. So I purchased a single sensor and a 4-pack of valves, thinking I’d be good to go once the new sensor was cloned to the old or programmed as a Saturn car.

Not so… to be continued…

DeVern

I bought two sets (4) of Schrader 3141M sensors, with 90 degree stems, for $400 thru a group buy on ADVRider about a year ago. Just put the last set on Annie’s 2017 R12GS yesterday. Started looking for some online with no joy. May go back to the old style. They are available thru a couple of sources.

Additionally: I saw on a K1600 forum (https://www.k1600forum.com/threads/cheaper-oem-tpms-sensors-found-not-chinese.196550/) claim that a sensor for KTM works on BMWs. Theirs is a 3142M and supposedly the only difference is the KTM logo on the sensor. Supposed to be available for under $100 at: http://www.ktmpowerhouseparts.com/ I didn’t see any sensors for under $140.

So I unpacked and started measuring things. BMW uses an 11mm hole for tire valves and sensors, at least on my vintage of bike. The mating surface on the 33900, where it goes against the rim, is 14.4mm vs 15mm for the OEM. That doesn’t seem significant, especially since the actual seal against the rim is provided by the valve stem—that’s where things go south.

The recommended straight stem, the Schrader 5080M, measures only 7.8mm diameter at the threaded shaft, where the OEM measures 10.2mm and nicely fills the 11mm hole without excess play. The 5080M almost looks like it was intended for an 8.5mm hole used by other mfgrs, yet the “nut” portion that fits against the rim and provides the seal is actually larger diameter than OEM. And, the actual rubber seal is about the same diameter tho not as thick in cross-section.

So, what I’m mostly questioning is the fit of the new 5080M stem. If anyone has recently purchased a new 36 31 9 832 032 sensor and the corresponding stem I’d be interested in how those measurements compare to the 33900 and 5080M. MaxBMW doesn’t show photos of the new 832 032 sensor nor the straight or angled stems that go with it, and it’s almost a hundred miles to get to my dealer for hands-on comparisons and if they’re not in stock I’d have to prepay and order before I could get hands on with the parts. Anyone have parts and caliper/micrometer at hand?? I’d like to be assured the fit is ok before I have Les Schwab Tires program this as a 2009 Saturn Astra.

Thx,

DeVern

I bought two sets (4) of Schrader 3141M sensors, with 90 degree stems, for $400 thru a group buy on ADVRider about a year ago. Just put the last set on Annie’s 2017 R12GS yesterday. Started looking for some online with no joy. May go back to the old style. They are available thru a couple of sources.

Additionally: I saw on a K1600 forum (https://www.k1600forum.com/threads/cheaper-oem-tpms-sensors-found-not-chinese.196550/) claim that a sensor for KTM works on BMWs. Theirs is a 3142M and supposedly the only difference is the KTM logo on the sensor. Supposed to be available for under $100 at: http://www.ktmpowerhouseparts.com/ I didn’t see any sensors for under $140.

Thanks for that, Kevin. I can’t get PM to work over at ADVRider but am watching that thread and will check out the KTM option. So long as the KTM sensors transmit at 433mhz I’d suspect they’ll work, but in the meantime I’m still trying to decide whether or not the 33900 is safe to deploy for now.

Measurements, anyone?

Best,
DeVern

Dead end project. I could not find a local tire store that could program the Schrader 33900 sensor I acquired—I tried 4 shops and only one could “see” the 33900, but not program it. All the shops were Autel shops; none used Schrader, so I returned the sensor hardware to O’Reilly’s and ordered from an overseas vendor a pair of Schrader 3141M sensors, two stems, and a retaining screw. Still, at $202 for everything, including DHL 5-day shipping, it’s less than the cost of ONE of the BMW sensors.

I also looked into group buys over on ADVRider but none are active now. That brings to mind the concept of group buys here in the forum or over in the Marketplace. Frowned upon, completely disallowed, or just never explored?? I don’t recall ever seeing one…

Best,
DeVern

Dead end project. I could not find a local tire store that could program the Schrader 33900 sensor I acquired—I tried 4 shops and only one could “see” the 33900, but not program it. All the shops were Autel shops; none used Schrader, so I returned the sensor hardware to O’Reilly’s and ordered from an overseas vendor a pair of Schrader 3141M sensors, two stems, and a retaining screw. Still, at $202 for everything, including DHL 5-day shipping, it’s less than the cost of ONE of the BMW sensors.

Try someone with a Snap-On tire tool……and has the experience to operate it’s functions.

I also looked into group buys over on ADVRider but none are active now. That brings to mind the concept of group buys here in the forum or over in the Marketplace. Frowned upon, completely disallowed, or just never explored?? I don’t recall ever seeing one…

Best,
DeVern

There have been group buys here on the forum before.

OM

Sensors have arrived, been installed, and are working. They were ordered from https://www.cdfgroup.de/onlineshop/en/home/453-schrader-3141m-bmw-motorcycle-5054208007526.html on August 30th and arrived September 9th, via DHL expedited shipping. I paid extra on the shipping because me past experience with regular DHL from overseas has been rife with delays.

Total $$ all in for 2 sensors, two valve kits, and one sensor retaining bolt came to USD $202 at time of order. Product was well-packaged and DHL had door-to-door tracking.

IMG_2459.jpeg

Installation was straightforward. I used a dab of Loctite on the stem I installed, and the new, shorter retaining bolt for the valve-in-spoke front wheel came with threadlocker pre-applied. Both were torqued to the recommended 6nm with a 1/4” torque wrench and clearance on both was checked and found to be in spec at that torque.

IMG_2462.jpeg

The sensors come with codes printed on the box in both hex and base 10 (dez) which makes pairing them to the bike easy using GS-911 or MotoScan. Some say the bike will automatically recognize the sensors, one at a time, with a longish ride over 30mph but I didn’t test that. I did install them one at a time, entering the code and taking a very short test ride after each. Each time, the sensor was active within a couple blocks of home. No activation or programming tool was needed, just the GS-911 to enter the new codes.

IMG_2461.jpeg

My 13yr-old OEM sensors were made by Schrader, as were the new ones. New BMW sensors alone are $224 each through BMW, plus the valve kit(s) and retaining bolt, which must be replaced as the OEM one is too long for the new sensor. I stated earlier that the last time I bought a TPMS sensor from my dealer it was around $100, and I was OK with that as a standard in-stock item. Happy to pay it for the convenience and availability. I have difficulty understanding how $224 is justified when the overseas vendor can sell a sensor for a little over $50 USD, at a profit. IMHO either some fresh new MBA screwed up when negotiating the contract with the TPMS supplier BMW switched to when they left Schrader, or we are really being abused on these necessary (safety item) parts.

Anyway, the sensors are available, they work on bikes up to somewhere around 2019-2020, and the vendor seems good to work with.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Was the stem you received from Germany the same as what you got from O'Reilly? I see Schrader sells both 8.5mm and 11.5mm versions of that stem. The 11.5 is sold in 4-packs under a different part number: 25080 rather than 5080M. Cheaper that way, I hear.

I buy the 33900 sensor and stems from O'Reilly (and I program the sensors). I buy the 5081M bolt from BMW.

Was the stem you received from Germany the same as what you got from O'Reilly? I see Schrader sells both 8.5mm and 11.5mm versions of that stem. The 11.5 is sold in 4-packs under a different part number: 25080 rather than 5080M. Cheaper that way, I hear.

I buy the 33900 sensor and stems from O'Reilly (and I program the sensors). I buy the 5081M bolt from BMW.

Yes, stems the same. 25080 is a 4-pack of 5080M stems. And if you are able to program them the 33900 is cheaper and more easily sourced than the 3141M, and the combo I started with—the 25080 and 33900 sensors—would have worked had I been able to find someone to program them. Buying a programmer would have put the total costs out of line.

Every shop I tried was primarily using Autel. I’m told the $nap-On programmer can do the 33900s but I couldn’t find anyone who had one. So, which programmer do you use and are you programming the 33900s as ‘09 Saturn Astra or ??

Best,
DeVern

TPMS sensors -con't

As stated - great info here!

This is what recently worked for me:

Just before a trip to Tail of Dragon/Cherohala Pkwy, I lost the rear sensor on my 2009 K1300GT. Did some reading up on the topic.
This is mid May 2023 - 6 days until we leave for the above trip. Sensor is not in stock locally.
I ordered the rear sensor from amazon ($16.00) - while waiting I tried the batt swap - it did NOT work. I have access to snap-on scanner and two generics. Could NOT get unit to activate/communicate in anyway.

New rear sensor arrives - looks VERY similar to OEM unit (I was lucky to score this bike with only 2,400mi). Tires were around 75% worn at this point in time.
Spent 5 days in Tenn/N.Carolina area. Great weather - fantastic roads!
Sensor worked just fine.
June 2023 - tires are now toast.
Order new tires.
Order front sensors from amazon - again - they look very similar to OEM unit (Fronts came in two pak - different from rear unit) ($37.00).

I have a No-Mar and MotoScan - so willing to give this a try.

-July of 2023 dragged the scooter to the Top-O-the Rockies Rally - what a blast!
-August, Chicago to driftless area in Wisc/Minnesota
-Sept, just got back from Pine Mnt Kentucky Getaway - again so much fun/great roads and people!

Sensors are working fine - over 3K miles on them.

I did see in my reading - that there is a 'hack' in the MotoScan to show not only tire PSI but also tire temp.
Because I was scrambling to get out the door - NO PICS - and NO HACK.
BUT - I will try it and report back when the roads get icy here in the Windy City.

I did see in my reading - that there is a 'hack' in the MotoScan to show not only tire PSI but also tire temp.
Because I was scrambling to get out the door - NO PICS - and NO HACK.
BUT - I will try it and report back when the roads get icy here in the Windy City.

I used Motoscan and it's a quick & easy function to program and just adds front/rear tyre temperature readings to the menu scroll following tyre pressures - see here;

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yfafqY0_-5Ez4omUvFqbxxLS8jJHqJRO/view?usp=drive_link[/video]

Starting off on a journey my tyre temperatures are pretty much what the ambient temperature is as you would expect and varies on a run.

The hottest I have seen is 45c front and 49c rear while riding along a motorway with an ambient temperature of 29c or so.

When I poked around in there a little later I also changed the pressure reading from bar to psi and set the clock from a 12 to 24-hour display on my 2010 K1300GT

Only wish there was some way of lowering the minimum speed at which the cruise control engages as it would be useful when riding through a 30mph speed limit as it won't engage until @34mph is indicated on the speedometer.

-=Glyn=-

Newer TPMS screw

GT RIder, do you have the part number or an order link for just the shorter screw for the Schrader 3141 TPMS?

Hi all,
Jumping in late on this one as I have been gone on deployment for a few months. I am "Recycled Dirt Rider" over on AdvRider and have done the last 5 group buys of the 3141M Scharader TPMS units. With input from @AntonLargiader and several other members, I have been able to make progress on the Generic 33900 un-programmed/blank sensors and can now program them for use on BMW motorcycles using the previously noted Saturn Astra protocol and adding standard unit ID numbers. As @GTRider noted, pricing is just over $200 when buying from European vendor with slight ups and downs depending on exchange rates for Dollar/Euro and shipping. The only difference I noted is that CDF removed the BMW logo from the sensors they sold me. Could be a license issue for selling in US as someone pointed out earlier in this thread. Physically, the 3141M and the 33900 units are identical. Mounting options cited above for stems are the same with 8.5mm, 11mm stem options and screw mount for cast wheels. I am not sure about Snap-on or Autel programmers working with Schrader, but I use ATEQ without problems. When you need to replace sensors either the 3141 units from CDF or the 33900 units provide the same form, fit and function and are genuine Schrader parts for much less than those from the BMW dealership.

For those on AdvRider, I have a recent post in the Venders section of the flea market for complete sets (2 sensors, 2 stems) for $150 shipped to your door. Additionally, aimed at GS riders that run two separate sets of wheels, I am also able to set up "cloned" sensors($160) if you give your current sensor ID numbers that allow you to simply change dirt to street wheels and not have to change ID numbers on the bike.
Here is the link:
TPMS on AdvRider

If anyone is interested in a set just send me a PM here or on AdvRider (@Recycled Dirt Rider) or drop me an email at rckp91@hotmail.com for information.

@GTRider- Glad you were able to get sensors from CDF. Sorry I was unable to help out last fall while I was deployed. Please disregard the message I sent you on Advrider.

Regards
Bob

I just bought two sets of sensors from rckp91 thru his group buy on ADVRIDER. This was my second buy from him. The sensors from the first buy are mounted and performing as expected. I received the sensors from the second buy a few days after ordering and again they are Schrader sensors.

Back