• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another New Harley - Uses the Pan America Engine

"Evolution to Revolution" More real sparks of life at Harley.

How they keep their traditional buyers and how well these truly new bikes attract new buys remains to be seen

More real choices is great for all riders and bikers

I wish them well

I saw another piece this morning which speculated that this new model will replace the Sportster model.

Back when they came out with the V-Rod, I was certain that within a couple years we'd see a touring platform based around that spectacular engine, and maybe even with genuine 21st century suspension, if not on the 1st models at least soon to follow. If they really wanted to keep "The Faithful", they had the option of continuing a couple model lines, and continuing to support the entire historical machines with OEM parts, with modern machining no less. Always seemed to me like they really blew it when they did none of that.

I rode Harley's for 30 years. Couple of UJM's before that. Now I ride a fine BMW Wethead RT. Outstanding machine. I think about finding and resurrecting an old FXR Harley, just because I loved mine. But for real world riding, I need a real world machine that'll keep up with traffic, inform me second by second of many of the conditions of the bike, adjust the suspension with a couple electronic switches, the list goes on and on. I'm happy to see Harley finally outgrowing the phony baloney "Bad Boy" image they catered to for so long. Perhaps Harley is truly coming of age? I hope so. I may even start checking them out again.

Stebe, I am right there with you! I bought a R1200RT a couple years back and finally sold the Harley as it never got ridden.

I also didn't understand why Harley didn't run with the Vrod engine and perhaps change the bore and stroke, but run with the same basic platform and put it in a touring frame. It was the best engine they have built to date.

They pretty much had to make a cruiser. The Sportster can’t meet Euro 4/5 emissions. It was a big seller in Europe and a replacement is required.

It won’t be long before additional models come from the new motor. The physical size, power and weight would make a great sport touring bike. A single cylinder 650 would do well as a light ADV bike (but is far out of their wheelhouse.)

In my opinion, this new bike will be called a Nightster on July 10.
The next bike will be a Bronx or something close.
And eventually, a fully faired sport touring model will be available.

It is odd that they never produced a touring model with the V-Rod engine. I hope they produce one with the 1250 motor. Its their bread and butter. All the V-Rods were fold you in half uncomfortable with feet and hands so far forward you we re precariously perched on your tailbone.

HD is , and has been, painfully aware that BMW, Ducati, and Triumph have transitioned from their-one-niche manufacturers to full-line. BMW has a Harley style chrome croozer, as does Ducati and Triumph.

HD making an Adventure bike made sence becuase by definition it really cant be a chrome croozer, and thats the hot market. Polaris has has been eating their lunch with modern motor cruisers, and also made a sorta half-assed adventure bike with their Flat Tracker. Im glad HD didnt go half way.

There are a lot of people who like old school , air cooled bikes. I've never been one for the whole 1%er bad ass wanna be thing, but I love all the old school retro bikes. I have an R9T , a Road King, had an air cooled Ducati and a few airheads.

There is something cool about all the mechanicals hanging out, but modern, automotive quality bikes with traction control, ABS, fuel injection, heated grips and real windprotection are what people with one bike want.

HD should put all that Pan America stuff into one of their batwing baggers. It won't please everyone, but I'm guessing the shareholders would be happy.

I purchased a Street-Rod 750 new and HD left such a horrible taste in my mouth from it I will never buy another HD again.
They replaced my Street-rod 750 for a XR1200 saying it was the fastest bike out there (I of course knew better owning a hopped up 155whp Concours 14 at the time).
Anyway it fell through too and I traded it in for 2018 Bonneville T120 that now has 84K miles on it...
HD should really look to triumph and see how they have really revamped the brand and getting people all over the MC market to buy their machines.
I will likely never ever buy anything brand new again... Well Not any time soon.
In that I will never even look at a HD at this point. The sales team was dreadful, the guys didn't know anything and the machines themselves are incredibly overpriced for what they are. My Street-Rod 750 actually was a decent bike but the ergonomics actually caused me to develop arthritis in my hip after 4 months (33 years old at the time) and 15K miles of ownership. Went back for warranty work twice. After bringing in a doctors note they even traded for a XR1200 which was a total Lemon.

That was my HD experience...

21167202_10207416076879012_5444897672050636775_o.jpg

My 2 cents.

Back