• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 Harley Pan-America 1250

I think they'll sell a lot of them and it's a value proposition IMO, if you can believe it. I think BMWs are more refined, but are they 5K+ more refined? You be the judge as it were. I like the fact that maintenance is simplified and engine has stonk, but it didn't work for me ergonomically and the wind management left something to be desired. Lastly, the luggage is small. I would be looking for something to replace my RT and that isn't it. If I was shorter, younger and rode dirt, it would be at the top of my list, but that's just me. I think it will do well.

You do realize they offer 3 different luggage sets?

I need to ride one as at 6'3" tall I ride a standard GS with standard suspension and Low version of Sargent seat and with my 34" inseam I am totally comfortable as I am on my RT with stock seat and pegs. Also in stock form the GS and GSA wind management sucks. But with the right aftermarket parts it is very good.

You do realize they offer 3 different luggage sets?

I need to ride one as at 6'3" tall I ride a standard GS with standard suspension and Low version of Sargent seat and with my 34" inseam I am totally comfortable as I am on my RT with stock seat and pegs. Also in stock form the GS and GSA wind management sucks. But with the right aftermarket parts it is very good.

I saw some of luggage and they looked small. Nothing like the RT. Two, I am 6'5 and 34" inseam and I had to put peg lowering kit on my 2009 RT to make it right, add a Calsci XL windscreen and bar risers. My legs were tight on the PA and my upper body was getting too much wind. The PA I rode had the seat in the high position. I am sure in time there would be 3rd party solutions, but the bottom line is that I wasn't taken with the bike. I don't hate it, I think it will sell well, but it didn't do anything for me emotionally and having to mod a bike a lot to make it work has lost it's allure. The truth is, I don't ride dirt and never will. If HD comes out with a ST, I'll check it out.

I saw some of luggage and they looked small. Nothing like the RT. Two, I am 6'5 and 34" inseam and I had to put peg lowering kit on my 2009 RT to make it right, add a Calsci XL windscreen and bar risers. My legs were tight on the PA and my upper body was getting too much wind. The PA I rode had the seat in the high position. I am sure in time there would be 3rd party solutions, but the bottom line is that I wasn't taken with the bike. I don't hate it, I think it will sell well, but it didn't do anything for me emotionally and having to mod a bike a lot to make it work has lost it's allure. The truth is, I don't ride dirt and never will. If HD comes out with a ST, I'll check it out.

Once again motorcycle fit is very personal. The 2009RT (much like my 2006 RT) was a "tall guy" bike and while some added peg lowering kits many were comfortable as was I on my '06. Then when I went to the 2016 that appeared to have less leg room I continued to be comfortable out of the box. But not every likes the riding positions of bikes and want their legs straighter.

You are correct the Pan American is not an ST or RT both of which are great bikes and handle well .... just not as well as the GS or GSA. I have both and do not ride off road but use the GS for shorter trips of say 3-7 days and on curvy backroads. If I am taking a 3-4 week trip across the US I take the RT.

Funny but a lot of guys over not the BMW Sport Touring site have moved to GS's or GSA's for the better handling.

The Pan American Adventure luggage which compares to the GSA luggage is .......

Luggage volume capacity: Right case 2,257 cubic inches (37 liters), left case 2,746 cubic inches (45 liters)

I have not checked but I suspect that is more than the RT or ST. And I suspect the Adventure luggage is the set up most buyers will choose.

Once again motorcycle fit is very personal. The 2009RT (much like my 2006 RT) was a "tall guy" bike and while some added peg lowering kits many were comfortable as was I on my '06. Then when I went to the 2016 that appeared to have less leg room I continued to be comfortable out of the box. But not every likes the riding positions of bikes and want their legs straighter.

You are correct the Pan American is not an ST or RT both of which are great bikes and handle well .... just not as well as the GS or GSA. I have both and do not ride off road but use the GS for shorter trips of say 3-7 days and on curvy backroads. If I am taking a 3-4 week trip across the US I take the RT.

Funny but a lot of guys over not the BMW Sport Touring site have moved to GS's or GSA's for the better handling.

The Pan American Adventure luggage which compares to the GSA luggage is .......

Luggage volume capacity: Right case 2,257 cubic inches (37 liters), left case 2,746 cubic inches (45 liters)

I have not checked but I suspect that is more than the RT or ST. And I suspect the Adventure luggage is the set up most buyers will choose.

I look at it as, can I put a FF helmet in the panniers? 2 FF in the trunk? That's what my RT does. Their luggage doesn't do that. At all.

I look at it as, can I put a FF helmet in the panniers? 2 FF in the trunk? That's what my RT does. Their luggage doesn't do that. At all.

I guess I worry more about capacity than fitting 2 full face helmets in which won't ever happen on any bike when loaded for a trip.

Most of my riding is commuting and day stuff. Have to pack my gear away on stops.

And that makes sense, I have never commuted on a bike. My passion is touring and will be overnight trips or full day rides. I have never felt the need to lock my gear since it’s most alway close by. If I do need to secure items I use a helmet lock which works perfectly since my luggage is usually near full. If I commuted or needed to park in a city on a daily basis I’d probably modify my process as you have done.

My GS has Zega Pro cases and I’ve yet to even install the locks.:eek

Just saw on the evening news that the HD museum has reopened and scheduling free test rides.
OM

Just saw on the evening news that the HD museum has reopened and scheduling free test rides.
OM
Anyone who has not been to the museum it’s a must see for any motorcycle enthusiast. You don’t need to be a “Harley guy” to appreciate it. Nobody does the history and archives thing line Harley.

I am not a huge Harley fan per se, but this bike is growing on me a bit and I hope that the bike becomes a big success for Harley.
Baldy's review is the best one I have seen so far as well.

I went to the local dealer to see one, they had a demo but unfortunately couldn't be ridden until a coolant leak was fixed. Seat, bars, and pegs felt nice and I thought it looked better in person than in photos. Coming from an Africa Twin I appreciate the Pan Am's self adjusting valves and tubeless wheels.

I had an opportunity for an extended unsupervised test ride on the HD PA last saturday.
The PA Demo fleet was at the XLAdv Rally near Mammoth Lakes CA.
We arrived at the Rally about noon and there was no one in line to ride the demo fleet.

FB_IMG_1630979704382-XL.jpg

9071-XL.jpg

9069-XL.jpg

9067-XL.jpg

After a brief orientation, they turned us loose on the Benton Crossing Road and told us to ride as far as CA 120

Benton%20Crossing%20HD%20Route-L.png

It was long enough to really get a feel for the bike, and what a feel it was.

A man could certainly feel his inner hooligan.

We rode all the way to CA 120, 23 miles out, and 23 back.
More horsepower than needed, cockpit just a bit more cramped than my GS Adv,
Brakes are excellent, as in "Stoppy Excellent"!
Three street ride modes were each different:
Rain Mode - soft dampening and significantly less power (110 HP versus 155 hp in the other modes) cushier ride.
Road Mode - Full Power and a little firmer dampening.
Acceleration - wow! 9K redline and it is pretty soft when you hit it.
Transmission easy shifting, no clunks, felt more like a Japanese Sport Bike. Could use a quick shift option,
Sport Mode - a more aggressive throttle map, firmer dampening to the point of uncomfortable over some of the road joints.
Very narrow feeling, especially after ten days riding my GSA. Very "flickable" from left to right, good clearance when leaning.

After the paved ride, they turned us loose on knobby shod bikes on a ten-mile paved/gravel loop along the Owens River.
In Enduro Mode the rear ABS was either off or severely restrained and the traction control was reduced.
You could slide the rear tire with the rear brake and spin the rear tire with the throttle.
It was easy to stand, especially with the bars rolled forward a little bit, as they were.
Pegs were something I'd have to change for extended riding off road.
Stock Steering Stabilizer seemed to help in the deeper gravel sections we rode through.

This was my second test ride of the Pan American, when I got back on the GSA for the ride back to Bridgeport I felt like I had just a bit more room and that the ride on the GSA was a bit smoother. The Pan American certainly has more power but my GSA isn't lacking either.

Were I in the market, and I'm not, YET, I'd consider the Pan American as a replacement.

HD will sell a bunch of these bikes and their comprehensive dealer network is a big plus, BMW Motorad are you paying attention?

Nice report :thumb

An email from another forum mentioned that this new HD is sold out for ‘21.

they like seeing their logo around……from what I hear

OM

I think HD looked at the weakness of the BMW platform and fixed for those it affects and that is shorter riders. With the lower seat height and lowering suspension, it'll have an appeal for people that find the GS and GSA a challenge. Price might seem another consideration, but in true HD fashion, I've heard of some crazy dealer convenience fees.

Back