• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gearbox Imput Shaft Recall

Motor32

Motor32
I received this email from NHTSA about a recall for some of our bikes. Here's the link to put in you VIN # to check, my bike wasn't affected.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

The Message they sent me :

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Every vehicle has a unique VIN. Enter a VIN to learn if a specific vehicle needs to be repaired a
U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.

You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that may affect your vehicle.

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 23V011
Manufacturer : BMW of North America, LLC
Subject : Gearbox Input Shaft May Break
Make Model Model Years
BMW R 1250 GS 2019-2023
BMW R 1250 GS ADVENTURE 2019-2023
BMW R 1250 RT 2019-2023

Steve

The actual recall has not been issued yet, so I believe it is not possible to determine if your bike is affected. It does not yet show up on the recall list.

This sure looks like it has been issued to me:

Safety Issue Type: Recalls

January 18 2023 NHTSA Campaign Number: 23V011000

Gearbox Input Shaft May Break
A damaged gearbox input shaft or a blocked rear wheel can increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number 23V011000
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 18489

Summary
OBMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2019-2023 R1250GS, R1250GS Adventure, and R1250RTP motorcycles. In certain engine operating and riding conditions, the gearbox input shaft may become damaged or break, possibly resulting in a blocked rear wheel.

Remedy
Dealers will update the engine control unit software, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed March 10, 2023. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

Affected Products (15)

Vehicle
MAKE MODEL
BMW R 1250 GS
BMW R 1250 GS ADVENTURE
BMW R 1250 RT

Associated Documents (6)
Remedy Instructions and TSB
RCRIT-23V011-2024.pdf 127.828KB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCRIT-23V011-2024.pdf
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - Delivery Stop RCMN-23V011-4991.pdf 89.487KB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCMN-23V011-4991.pdf
Miscellaneous Document - Chronology RMISC-23V011-6214.pdf 29.869KB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RMISC-23V011-6214.pdf
Defect Notice 573 Report
YEAR
2019-2023 2019-2023 2019-2023
Generated at NHTSA.gov 1 / 2

RCLRPT-23V011-3383.PDF 215.236KB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V011-3383.PDF
Recall Acknowledgement
RCAK-23V011-6351.pdf 645.221KB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCAK-23V011-6351.pdf
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - Update to Stop Sale STOP230005
Recall: Reprogram R 1250 GS (K50), R 1250 GS Adventure (K51) and R 1250 RTP (K52) models has been published and replaces Delivery Stop STOP230005
RCMN-23V011-5187.pdf 28.036KB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCMN-23V011-5187.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this information!

I was supposed to collect my new 2023 GSA this week when yesterday the dealer told me about this issue and said they could not deliver the bike. They didn't seem to be aware of how to resolve the issue, and these documents helpfully outline the fix. My worry was that the software update hadn't been developed yet and that the delay could be for an extended period of time.

Unwelcome drama, but it looks like I may be able to see my new toy soon after all.

A software update to fix what is supposed to be a super-hard piece of steel? Sounds like a halfway band-aid.
Maybe the update cuts the ignition during a shift...?

On the R1200GS.Info site, this has been discussed. https://www.r1200gs.info/threads/new-safety-recall-1250-gs-gsa.55536/#post-335965

The issue was described as "a software update in order to protect shaft and gearbox from overspeed during bumps and hardcore off-road riding."

One individual in Europe wrote:

Just been at the dealer today and spoke directly to the mechanic that I go along with very well. He showed me the bulletin in written form but said could not make me a copy because he's not allowed to. But he let me read it.

It explains very well what it was all of this about. It is traction control software update. So if you go offroad and have traction control off and rear wheel loose the contact with the ground, it will accelerate a lot if you're on accelerator. Then when the wheel makes a contact with a ground, the speed of the wheel is abruptly changed and it put a lot of stress on the drive shaft, U-joints, final drive and even a gear box. In that ocasion, one of those parts may brake.

The software update is to the last version that came out last November. That (November) update makes sure if the wheel lose contact with the ground, it will not accelerate.

The bikes that already had the November update are not included in this recall.

My bike was already booked for mid February for its annual service, so he said not to worry about anything and the update will be done at the service. While we were talking, he showed me one 2019 1250 GSA that was performing the update as it came in today for its annual service. He said it will take 4 hours to update as that particular bike had the firmware version from 2019. The older the version, the longer it takes to update. The bikes with newer versions can take less then one hour. While the bike is updating the software, the mechanics are not supposed to perform any other service on the bike. So they will make the annual service first and after they're done, they will connect the bike to update the software version.

Also, he said, all the 1250 engines on GS/GSA need this update, no metter the production date, except (as I said) the ones with software from November 2022 (that is the latest version). He said, the software updates come out twice a year, November and May every year.

So, our bikes will take this update either in scheduled service or will be called by letter. Because of that, I suggest that owners with second-hand bikes purchased privately and do their own service, call the dealer and check for the recall and book the bike. That is in case the BMW dealers don't have your name and phone number.

Finally, we can look at the bright side of this recall: all 1250 GS/GSA bikes will get the latest software version for free.

This might clarify things for some.

A software update to fix what is supposed to be a super-hard piece of steel? Sounds like a halfway band-aid.
Maybe the update cuts the ignition during a shift...?

Scotty Kilmer( Utoob fame) harps about this in the car industry as well. A software update for a mechanical issue is not a fix....:deal

This sounds like what the rubber, pie-shaped cushions in the rear hub of an F-Twin takes care of?

I wonder if the software updates will cause an interruption of spark when an over speed condition is sensed by the bike?

It will be interesting to hear how this shakes out.

OM

Are Rts included in the recall?

Only the police models. The bulletin does not say why, but I've read that the programming for the civilian RT and other R models has always prevented this type of excessive acceleration/wheel spin, so there is no need for an update.

Open the "Associated Documents" here for details about reported failures and the actual recall notice.

Jumps have been mentioned as one cause of the breakage. Too much throttle and the engine rpms increase dramatically in the air, stressing the input shaft when the bike lands at a relatively slow ground speed.

Last edited:
This sounds like what the rubber, pie-shaped cushions in the rear hub of an F-Twin takes care of?

I wonder if the software updates will cause an interruption of spark when an over speed condition is sensed by the bike?

It will be interesting to hear how this shakes out.

OM

Think panic rev in moto/supercross, using power to create gyroscopic force with the rear wheel to keep from doing an endo. You hear them hitting the rev limiter all the time.

My guess is that the software keeps the engine from increasing speed when the bike leaves the ground and the (inexperienced) rider doesn't let off the throttle.

A rear wheel spinning at way faster than ground speed would certainly stress the driveline a bunch when it regained contact with the ground.

Think panic rev in moto/supercross, using power to create gyroscopic force with the rear wheel to keep from doing an endo. You hear them hitting the rev limiter all the time.

My guess is that the software keeps the engine from increasing speed when the bike leaves the ground and the (inexperienced) rider doesn't let off the throttle.

A rear wheel spinning at way faster than ground speed would certainly stress the driveline a bunch when it regained contact with the ground.

Along with chain-drive, 2-sided swing arm, and half the weight, it’s no worries for a dirt bike 🏍️

OM

I can understand how jumps/etc. can damage U-joints and sometimes even the swingarm (by over-travel), but this shaft is on the other end of the transmission! Jumping forces should be quite isolated; thus the anti-over-rev update...?

Any word on if the INPUT shaft actually breaks, or does it strip the splines (with the clutch too?)?

Here's some interesting food for thought. According to the parts fiche, the R1200 GSW and the R1250 GS appear to have the same transmission, driveshaft, final drive, etc. (same part numbers). So, why is this an issue with only the R1250's? Granted the engine software would be different for the 1200 engine vs the 1250 engine, and the 1250 engine has about 11 more HP and 13 lb-ft of torque compared to the 1200 engine. I'm not trying to second guess BMW, but I'm curious this way.

You would think a owner's association that is a liason between us and BMW would get the facts out about this pretty early to answer all our questions like this.

What is your basis for that expectation?

It is BMW's responsibility to to get the information out to the owners of the affected bikes. Which they are doing now.

Why would the owners (MOA) be responsible for telling themselves about the issue?

If you have questions about the recall talk to the company's representatives, not the owners.

What is your basis for that expectation?

It is BMW's responsibility to to get the information out to the owners of the affected bikes. Which they are doing now.

Why would the owners (MOA) be responsible for telling themselves about the issue?

If you have questions about the recall talk to the company's representatives, not the owners.

Obviously my post went over your head. Do you know what Liason means?

Back