• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

air compressors

ultracyclist

I am interested in buying a small electrically operated air compressor for the purpose of topping off my rad tires or bicycle tires. This machine would basically sit in my garage.

I am not interested in operating pneumatic tools or spray painting, and so forth.

What follows is a small rant: I am sick and tired of going to "service" stations and finding the pump "out of order" or paying .50 for free air. Convenience is worth something to me.

What do you seasoned veterans suggest? How much do they cost? Do you have a favorite brand/manufacturer?

Lowes home improvements has a fathers day sale....small electric compressor
(1 gallon 100 psi) with nail gun and nails $49.95......great for tires etc around house use. Already have a compressor....but just got another.

I am interested in buying a small electrically operated air compressor for the purpose of topping off my rad tires or bicycle tires. This machine would basically sit in my garage.

I am not interested in operating pneumatic tools or spray painting, and so forth.

What follows is a small rant: I am sick and tired of going to "service" stations and finding the pump "out of order" or paying .50 for free air. Convenience is worth something to me.

What do you seasoned veterans suggest? How much do they cost? Do you have a favorite brand/manufacturer?

Unless you need to pump up auto tires, why buy a large one? I use a Cycle Pump Air Compressor that works great and can take it with me in the bag. It is small and works great.

Easy :german

If you're using it for the motorcycle you only need to get 35-45 psi. But if you also want to use if for bicycle tires you may need upwards of 100 psi for a road bike. I got a very good compressor at Sears, under $100, that does up to 120 psi. Sits on the floor of the garage by the motorcycle and has a long enough air hose that I never move it, even when I have to roll the bike around to find the air valve.

Cycle Pump

Like EASY, I too own a Cycle Pump. They are advertised in BMW ON and I ordered mine over the phone last year.

While 'pricey,' ($100), it is compact and easy to pack, built to expedition-quality standards, and pumps up to 100 psi, so bicycle tires are no problem.

Good Luck!

Ride Alert!

Air Compressor

Cycle Pump....compact, well built, nice storage bag, albeit pricey, will last a long, long time.

We picked up a Powersport air compressor from CycleGadgets at Americade on Tuesday for $35. Hope we never have to use it, but inexpensive insurance to go with the tire plug kits.

nail gun and nails $49.95......great for tires etc
Ummmmmmm, not my tires, OK? :D

I went to Target and spent $15 for one of those little cig-lighter-powered compressors. I removed the bulky plastic housing, leaving a unit easily held in one hand. I used a cable-tie to provide strain relief on the cord, and I am considering making a little stand out of stiff wire to keep the exposed drive-gear off the ground. Takes a little time for it to inflate things, but it works and for cheep too. I did see in the new ON that someone is selling basically the same thing, with a couple of added safety features for $35.

Air Compressor

Believe it or not. For now and then use try WalMart. About ten bucks I think Saw Matt Parkhouse use one at the Vermont Rally last year. Worked like a dream off the bike's battery.

If you're not going to get the small portable 12v kind mentioned and insist on a 110v floor model, large is not necessarily better. The bigger tanks take awhile to completely fill and the deal is you have to let the compressed air out at the end of the day or when your finished pumping up your tires. The reason you have to let the air out is the compressed air forms condensation and this eventually rusts the tank. If you're going to just use it to pump your bike tires and nothing else, you probably only need one or two gallons max.

There's a popular small model that has a donut/ flying saucer shaped tank that many seem to like for your purpose.

It may be a bit bigger than what you want, but I got a "Husky" "Easy Air To Go" at Home Depot for $100.00. It has 135 PSI capacity and a 1.75 gallon tank. It is on casters so it's easy to move around. It'sgreat for the bikes and the cages. It comes in handy for other stuff too like blowing up air matresses and my son's new swimming pool.

SJ, that's exactly what I was talking about. That particular set of compressor-guts is used in basically every small compressor, from the Campbell-Hausfeld to the Wal-Mart/Target to even the vaunted Cycle Pump.

I would go with the Cycle Pump. Get the adventure package it comes with the compressor, tire patch kit, and an awsome tire gauge. You will not be disapointed. Got mine from bestrestproducts.com. I ordered over the phone. Judy and Dave are great to talk to and very helpfull.

Listen to the suggestions on the Campbell Hausfeld air compressor from Wal Mart. It sounds like you only need it in the garage thus do not need to remove the shell. I have owned two of these and they are used for everything from basketballs to truck tires. The great advantage is they are rechargeale and can be taken on the road and/or stored in you vehicle. We do not go truck camping without it and it's great for when we travel with the dirt bikes.

Back