• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Improvements

fog820

The shift cam RT has only been out a short time but I have found some things I would like to see improved on it. Every bike has compromises and I will list things I think would make it better for me. Now the last bike before the switch to BMW had nearly 250,000 miles on it and I had some things I wanted changed on it, the RT addressed most of those things but there are others I would like to see changed.

Why are there no cup holders on the motorcycle? Designing the things in should be a no brainer.

Make the grips bigger. With the stock grips I feel like I am trying to hold on to pencils instead of handlebars. Were these things designed for the guys that can use those little buttons on a cell phone? Even with the wraps they are still quite small for my 3x hands.

Add some length to the bike between the bars and the luggage. A longer wheel base would help with stability when getting hit with gusting winds from the side and give more room for both the rider and passenger. It would also help with not kicking the bags when getting on and off the bike.

Hinge the gas cap the other way, it would make it lots easier to fill the tank.

How hard would it be to design the engine to run on regular? At most gas stations with one hose it used to be a fair amount of fuel was dispensed that was the same grade as the last user, not sure if that is the same now.

The windshield could be a bit wider, right now it will be great for summer as it still lets lots of air in, granted I wear a 3x jacket so my shoulders do catch a lot of air, but for winter use a wider screen would be nice.

Reverse via the starter would be nice for backing uphill, Honda has had that option for years, and once you have used it you will find it to be very handy indeed.

It would be nice to change the ratios in the transmission a bit. A lower first gear and a higher sixth would be really great. It could easily drop the rpm on the highway another 1000 to 1500 rpms and let first gear allow the bike to roll easily at a slow walking speed.

Have the switch gear lighted I am sure lots of folks would enjoy that especially for the features that are only used occasionally.

I would like to see more use of self adjusting hydraulic valves instead of the ones that need frequent adjustments. They can put them in cars that have high performance engines and Harley Davidson has been doing it for years.

Now it sounds like I am unhappy with the bike, nothing could be further from the truth, I like it a great deal. Those are small things and the bikes get redesigned from time to time so have at it BMW, you have 8 years till my warranty is up and then I will be looking for my next bike. I would be interested to see what things the rest of you would like to change.:bikes

So basically you think the bike should be the same only completely different. A Goldwing with a Kuryakin cupholder on it would cover almost all of your wish list.

Cup holder? where would you put one? And that spot would be wrong for the next rider. Go aftermarket, all kinds of choices. I tour with my RT, no cup holder!

Bigger grips, You have heard of Grip Puppies? Some riders like the small grips. Easier to make them bigger than smaller. Pretty much a non issue.

Longer wheel base? Um, no! the RT works great as is and my wife rides with all the time. So I don't agree with you on that at all.

The gas door cover makes me scratch my head too, but then every motorcycle I have had with a flip up gas cap flips the same way. It it to protect you privates in case it flips open in and accident and the rider slides up the tank?:dunno

You will surprised to find out you RT will run just fine of regular. I run it often, sometimes it is all I can find.

Windshield? Some like the shorty, again simple to replace with one that fits you. The one you like will be too tall, or wide for the next rider. I swap out between the stock "sport" windshield and a larger touring sized one. It seems to me that no matter the brand you ride there are many options for windshields so obviously one of the most changed items.

Reverse on a 600 pound motorcycle? Try no reverse on a 900 pound Harley! You learn to park facing uphill! I don't see the need. Rider training!

Transmission ratios are fine with me, and I pull a Unigo trailer.

Valves that need frequent adjusting? Most riders rarely get the valves adjusted, plus the 20,000 mile interval, (or close to that, I forget) is not that frequent, plus you need to get them checked then, good chance no adjustment needed. I had a Honda that NEEDED them done every 5,000 miles!

I agree with the other post, are you certain you like your RT?

Reverse on a 600 pound motorcycle? Try no reverse on a 900 pound Harley! You learn to park facing uphill! I don't see the need. Rider training!

When I was shopping for a sidecar rig I asked about reverse, I forget the exact quote but it was basically you'll only once park where you need reverse to get out, maybe twice if you're not too bright. :):)

Most of my farkles are related to ergonomic adjustments. Lowering pegs, moving handlebars, moving mirrors, better windscreen. It would be nice if the motorcycle came off the showroom floor with a wider range of adjustment.

Cap

Shiftcam Improvements

I have a 2019 BMW R1250GS which I've thoroughly enjoyed (after having owned a 2009 BMW K1300S for ten years). In the spirit of "anything can be improved", here were my thoughts:

- Common luggage mounting system for Atacama, Vario and Aluminum panniers
- A bit more under seat storage space for carrying tools
- A second "auxiliary lights button" next to the existing one for an additional set of lights
- Improved suspension for off-road as an option
- Heated seat
- Power windshield
- Backlit switch gear
- Cornering lights
- Electric reverse
- Adaptive cruise control
- Night vision
- WiFi connectivity to a GoPro with performance data

None of these are needs but BMW and other premium brands are usually pretty clever in finding new ways to separate their owners from their money in exchange for entertainment!

Kent

I would like to see a small pad attached to the handlebars where a monkey could sit and serve soft ice cream.:bliss

Like someone said: everything is subjective.

I do not want ANY of the stuff mentioned above. I want to buy a new bike that comes minus ALL doo-dads. If some other rider wants to add the extra stuff, let 'em order it that way from the manufacturer. (BTW, I have the same issue with new cars. And, yes, I would pay a little extra for a m/c or car that can be purchased this way.)

I would like to see bikes come with a 10 year 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty.
Kia and Hyundai do this with cars that cost less than a GS and still manage to make money.

The OP makes some valid points, but obviously hasn’t tried to change a headlight bulb yet.

That said, my 2016 RT is the first bike I’ve owned that needed almost no additions. I have Touratech front crash bars, Ilium rear tip over bars, a Givi topcase and a front Fenda Extenda. It was a well equipped demo, so a lot of what I would usually purchase was already included with the bike.

My elevator speech to my non riding friends about long distance trips is: weather protection, heated seats, heated grips, electric windshield, in-helmet satellite radio, three odometers, integrated GPS, tyre pressure sensors, and electronic suspension. I usually leave it at that.

The seat isn’t great, but I can deal with it. The riding position is comfortable for me, but I’d really like more space under the seat for a toolkit. The tupperware design is awful, but a cup-holder? Good grief.

Most importantly for me is the power to weight ratio, more than I’ll ever need, and I love it.

The shift cam RT has only been out a short time but I have found some things I would like to see improved on it. Every bike has compromises and I will list things I think would make it better for me. Now the last bike before the switch to BMW had nearly 250,000 miles on it and I had some things I wanted changed on it, the RT addressed most of those things but there are others I would like to see changed.

Why are there no cup holders on the motorcycle? Designing the things in should be a no brainer.

Make the grips bigger. With the stock grips I feel like I am trying to hold on to pencils instead of handlebars. Were these things designed for the guys that can use those little buttons on a cell phone? Even with the wraps they are still quite small for my 3x hands.

Add some length to the bike between the bars and the luggage. A longer wheel base would help with stability when getting hit with gusting winds from the side and give more room for both the rider and passenger. It would also help with not kicking the bags when getting on and off the bike.

Hinge the gas cap the other way, it would make it lots easier to fill the tank.

How hard would it be to design the engine to run on regular? At most gas stations with one hose it used to be a fair amount of fuel was dispensed that was the same grade as the last user, not sure if that is the same now.

The windshield could be a bit wider, right now it will be great for summer as it still lets lots of air in, granted I wear a 3x jacket so my shoulders do catch a lot of air, but for winter use a wider screen would be nice.

Reverse via the starter would be nice for backing uphill, Honda has had that option for years, and once you have used it you will find it to be very handy indeed.

It would be nice to change the ratios in the transmission a bit. A lower first gear and a higher sixth would be really great. It could easily drop the rpm on the highway another 1000 to 1500 rpms and let first gear allow the bike to roll easily at a slow walking speed.

Have the switch gear lighted I am sure lots of folks would enjoy that especially for the features that are only used occasionally.

I would like to see more use of self adjusting hydraulic valves instead of the ones that need frequent adjustments. They can put them in cars that have high performance engines and Harley Davidson has been doing it for years.

Now it sounds like I am unhappy with the bike, nothing could be further from the truth, I like it a great deal. Those are small things and the bikes get redesigned from time to time so have at it BMW, you have 8 years till my warranty is up and then I will be looking for my next bike. I would be interested to see what things the rest of you would like to change.:bikes

I'm thinking you need to sell the bike and get a car. :stick

E.

So basically you think the bike should be the same only completely different. A Goldwing with a Kuryakin cupholder on it would cover almost all of your wish list.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Assuming the OP was serious and not just throwing a cat into a room full of canines...

This really sounds like the purchaser was wanting a full-on BarcaLounger-style touring bike like the Goldwing, or a long-wheelbase bagger ala H-D or the big-bore Oriental baggers. The RT is a sport-touring machine; the OP might find more satisfaction by trading it for a K1600 Grand America. Sometimes you find out what you really like by buying what you don’t really like.

Best,
DeVern

Like someone said: everything is subjective.

I do not want ANY of the stuff mentioned above. I want to buy a new bike that comes minus ALL doo-dads. If some other rider wants to add the extra stuff, let 'em order it that way from the manufacturer. (BTW, I have the same issue with new cars. And, yes, I would pay a little extra for a m/c or car that can be purchased this way.)

:thumb

“Stripped” vehicles whether a motorcycle or car are pretty much a thing of the past........ Like RV’s without a slide room. You can probably order what you want (don’t want) from a dealer but I would expect a healthy deposit would be needed.
Next time at a dealer, ask about ordering a stripper then ask about resale value in 5 years. Should answer all your questions.
I’m sure most everyone remember trading a car where you “added for air” or “add for automatic”, now missing either is a deduction.
OM

Back