• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Air Ambulance Services

The club used to get a discount on MedJet, though I'm not sure if that's still true.

What do y'all have for air ambulance insurance? Pros, cons?

There are at least two types of air ambulance insurance programs. One is transport from an incident to a hospital like Aero Care and others; and the other is transfer transport from one treatment location to another closer to home like MedJet and others.

We live $50,000 by air flight away from the nearest trauma center so have enrolled in Aero Care which is an insurance by which the company agrees to bill insurance only, and not the patient.

We do not have any air transfer or evacuation insurance at the moment. I have been told but have not individually confirmed that overseas coverage is not offered by Med Jet for people over 70 years of age.

Last edited:
The club used to get a discount on MedJet, though I'm not sure if that's still true.

We still do:

https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/member_disc_public
https://medjetassist.com

I know a lot of people who have MedJet and I've heard some great success stories. There are other options out there. Also https://www.globalrescue.com is based in my town and I know a few people who work there. There are pros and cons to all of these so best to compare before spending money.

If I was going to take a summer off and ride around the world or even North America, I'd buy an annual plan for sure. My trips aren't zero risk but I don't take enough risk that I feel the cost is justified for me. It certainly is for some.

If you’re traveling in the west, where might get helicoptered out, there are services like CalStar that cover that. Medjet will get you home AFTER you get admitted, but the flight to the hospital might be your responsibility.

Something to consider, depending on where you ride.

If you’re traveling in the west, where might get helicoptered out, there are services like CalStar that cover that. Medjet will get you home AFTER you get admitted, but the flight to the hospital might be your responsibility.

Skymed Ultimate (which is what my wife and I have) covers air evac from scene, as long as I am more than 100 miles from home. You can buy this at additional cost on their regular plan.

I don't know if the other plans cover non-moto incidents... Skymed does, which is of value to us because we travel frequently in our RV.

I am glad for this thread... it made me go back and re-read the terms and conditions.

See paragraph 2, Post #3,This thread

Skymed is the ONLY air ambulance service that will pay for evac by helicopter. That can run you $40,000 to $100,000. Flights home from overseas are covered. Well worth the cost in my eyes. they will also crate and send your bikes home and fly you home first class wherever you are in the world. Tell them Marc Neville and Jennifer Ott recommended them if you sign up!

Skymed is the ONLY air ambulance service that will pay for evac by helicopter. That can run you $40,000 to $100,000. Flights home from overseas are covered. Well worth the cost in my eyes. they will also crate and send your bikes home and fly you home first class wherever you are in the world. Tell them Marc Neville and Jennifer Ott recommended them if you sign up!

Skymed isn't the only air ambulance that pays for evacuation, so does MASA

"If emergency helicopter transportation is needed, MASA will cover out-of-pocket costs MASA Members incur from helicopter transports to the nearest appropriate medical facilities capable of providing required medical treatment."

https://www.medairservices.com/index

Back