• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Challenge For You....Helmet lock cable for a K1200S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
There is an accessory helmet lock cable which was originally supplied with this bike. Its thin, plastic coated and slips into a small plastic channel (part of rear inner fender) under the seat. Its a cable with a 1/2 inch eyelet at either end. Probably about 2 feet long.

I've looked high and low but cannot find it listed on the usual parts fiches. So...a six-pack of Canadian beer (or equivalent) to anyone who can get me the part number. If you happen to have one of these cables and want to part with it, I'm in the market. :)

Note: I've tried one of those small bicycle lock cables but its too thick to go through the plastic channel.

I'm drawing a blank when trying to remember a helmet cable that came with that bike.

I use a 1/8" rubber coated cable to lock my helmet and jacket. A short one will fit in the tool compartment on the underside of the S seat pan.

I'm drawing a blank when trying to remember a helmet cable that came with that bike.

I use a 1/8" rubber coated cable to lock my helmet and jacket. A short one will fit in the tool compartment on the underside of the S seat pan.

The helmet cable is illustrated in the owner's manual of the 1200S. But where would I find a short one of these cables that you're using?

Thanks for the responses thus far, guys!

But where would I find a short one of these cables that you're using?

The thin cables with a loop on each end are pretty common. I'll do a search tomorrow and see what I can find.
Riders Warehouse is one place to start a search.

Makes me wonder if we had this on the K1300S and never noticed it.

Last edited:
Go to Walmart! They have cables in the bike area that will fit and work. For those opposed to Walmart. Go to your local bicycle shop.

Go to any GOOD hardware store that sells rope, chain, and cable by the foot (or meter).

They should have plain cable and plastic coated as well as the crimp sleeves to make loops in the ends. They will probably also have the special crimping tool needed to crimp the sleeves, although it probably sells for around $50. Tell the nice man behind the counter that you will buy the cable and sleeves from him if he will crimp the two sleeves in the appropriate spots for you.

I use a 6' one to loop around the chinbar on my helmet, back through the loop on the end of the cable, then through the sleeve of my jacket and leg of my riding pants, and hook the other end loop of the cable to the helmet lock that is part of the seat latch on early Kbikes.

:dance:dance:dance

Aerostich has an assortment of locking devices. I have one like this-

1011_3a.jpg

http://www.aerostich.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=0&p=1&q=cable+lock

OM

West Marine

Lee's aka Debbie's Servant, suggested vendor offers what looks like a good solution albeit not "BMW OEM," but you can also have any length stainless cable you wish swedged with thimbles at any West Marine chandlery if you happen to live near one. They do not charge much to do this and have thin diameter cable.

Alrighty then, looks like we have a winner - and its a tie amongst the lot of you! Thanks for your input, guys. All very helpful. I'll head off for my local bicycle shop and if they can't help, Cyclenutz.com seems to be the way to go.

I'm not going to Des Moines this year but if any of you show up at one of the MOA annual rallies when its back in the west, the beer's on me. And if you happen to find yourself in British Columbia near Vancouver or in Nakusp, BC for our annual Hot Springs Rally, the beer's on me. Speaking of MOA National rallies, isn't it time one was situated in California? We've done Oregon, Montana, and Utah. Sacramento would seem like a logical choice.

Thanks again, you guys are the best!

Back