• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

83 R100RT Repair Help

redfishblue1

Hello, new guy here. I have an 83 R100RT that was given to me by my father in law. He bought it in 84. He has ridden it all over the country. It sat for a while and someone rebuilt the carburetors but they were not sync'd up since being put back on the bike. I did what research I could and I have the bike running but it need fine tuning and some other work done to it. My problem is that I cannot find anyone who can work on them!
I really want to find someone who will let me help in the repair so I can understand and know when there is an issue.
Im in Alabama outside of Birmingham.
Any ideas on how to find someone? Many guys think they can work on it but are not sure. I dont want to drop it off somewhere and get charged for the expensive parts they 'think' are wrong. I dont want someone guessing either.
Next year will be our 30th wedding anniversary and I really want to take my wife out on it. She has great memories of riding with her dad on this bike when she was in her teens.
Any ideas are welcome.
Thank you!

If you want the work done well, load it up, and take it Craig Vechorik, at Benchmark Works, over in Sturgis, MS. http://benchmarkworks.com/ Or Blue Moon BMW over in Norcross, GA http://www.bluemooncycle.com/ I don't know whether, or to what extent, either of these sets of pros will allow/provide much training; some really skilled people just want to do the work (their time is money), and take care of the next needy bike.

Join the Airheads BMW Club, and, even if you aren't/don't become a "tech day" kind of tinkerer, the local/regional club will know which shade-tree guys know what they're doing, and those who don't. Airheads remain very good motorcycles, but they take more work than modern ones. Your local roundel-equipped unit-mover BMW shop has technicians who are younger than your bike, aren't trained to know how to do much on them, and the one old guy who did, retired ____ years ago.

Last edited:
Location, Location, Location

It helps to know where you are located. Plus 1 on looking into joining the Airheads club. If you want to learn enough to keep it running well or want a reference for a decent airhead tech then the Airheads club will help tremendously.

It also helps if I learned to read

I re-read your post and saw your location. I need to be a little more observant. I think Nathan (Boxer works) is close to there, not sure.

First recommendation is to get in touch which your local BMW club. Resources for finding this are on this site.

There will almost certainly be guys in that club with tools and lots of knowledge and lots of desire to help you. There really aren't very many problems that require professional help on these old bikes.

R100rt

Thank you all for the input. I have made contact with my local club and hope to hear back soon. 69zeff65, no worries... I totally understand.:)

Back