• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

500,000 miles, your safety ideas

My two bits

Well, I don't believe in luck as some do. I have been riding big bikes since the early 70's, mostly bmw's. I will say, as one did in this forum that you can go to sleep on a bike, I know for a fact and it's very scary when you wake up. Of course it would be worse if you never woke up. so, with that said...
1. never ride when you are really tired and in need of sleep, or if you have drank to much sprit. :buds

2. Always wear head gear and body protection, always. I have been down once with no permanent damage. But, I had deep gouges in the top of my helmet and face shield. You can imagine what your head and face would look like without the helmet. So, keep the protection on while you're having fun, just like your dad told you.

3. Know your bike, which means, make sure you have proper tire pressure, good tread, shocks, bolts tight, etc. and it's safe to ride.

4. make sure you know your bikes capabilities in different riding conditions and also your capability as a rider. I have had a few close calls as I'm sure many here have and mostly they were my fault. It usually happens when you decide you will show off a little or do something you know you shouldn't do.

5. Of course, ride defensively. I ride like everyone is trying to run over me. So, I just stay out of there way the best I can. Don' ride in a blind spot next to cars. When I'm running down the road, I ride in the left car tire track in the lane. On coming traffic can see you better especially if you are behind other cars. If no cars are in front of you, I would still ride in that lane and then when I see oncoming traffic , I usually change over to the right side of the lane just where the on coming car can see some movement. Of course, don't ride in the middle of the lane, that is where all the crap and oil is flung. And, of course you can't have to many lights on a bike.

6. Keep enough distance between you and the car/bike/ect. in front of you. Mostly this is all common sense if the person has any sense at all. But, trust me, common sense does not cross borders. What is common sense here may not be in Mexico or other countries. I've ridden in Mexico, Europe, Taiwan, China, Viet Nam, Thailand and Australia and they all got there on set of common sense. So, you have to look out for yourself all the time. Don't think the guy is going to stop at his red light or stop sign. Many riders have thought that are are not here any more.

7. And then sometimes there is nothing you can do. I had a friend about two years ago riding down a road around 50 miles an hour, minding his own business, when a lady parked next to a curb just did a U turn in front of him. He had no time to do anything apparently but hit her. I don't know what he was thinking right before he hit that car. Probably just, it was a nice day and glad to be out riding. But, he's dead. I know it's not a fun way to ride but you have to think that every car you see if out to get you. So, always pay attention to your surroundings.

8. Dogs and deer are a whole other story and my finger is tired. Ride safe, my friend.

Back