• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 BMW R1250 RT Protection bars Front & Rear

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
I might have posted about this before but here's the question:
My new RT has Option 719 valve head covers and front cover.
Also it has OEM auxiliary lights.
What's a good suggestion for protection bars?
Anyone got pix?

Ilium Guards + Option 719 = YES!

As the attached photos attest, I installed the Ilium Works engine guard bars on my 2021 R1250RT with the Option 719 valve covers. I think the setup looks great.

The Ilium bars do not require modification or additional spacers to fit the Option 719 heads. My understanding is the Wunderlich guards do require additional spacers to accommodate the Option 719 heads. The installation of the Ilium guards is considerably easier than the Wunderlich. It is also my understanding that the Ilium guards do not (necessarily) interfere with valve cover removal. The Wunderlich and other engine guards need to be removed when performing valve clearance checks and such. For these reasons, I went with the Ilium Works products.

Ilium's installation videos are well produced and extremely helpful. One important note: on one of Ilium's installation videos they mention that the stock driving light brackets need to be replaced with a custom Ilium bracket. This is no longer true! The newer designs allow re-use of the stock driving light mounts, and I feel this is a superior solution. Installation was straightforward with no big surprises. The Ilium video describing removal (and replacement) of the plastic body panels is well done. My experienced advice is to keep all bodywork bolts and fasteners well organized and to document what bolt specifically fits its intended place -- some have longer or shorter shoulders and are very specific as to where they go. Do not over tighten the bodywork attachments!

If you are even remotely considering adding some Clearwater or Denali lights, this is the time to do that since the bodywork will already be off and you can make that job so much easier.

OCD Pro Tip: Cheap laundry bags or old pillow cases make great places to hold individual body parts while working in the garage... greatly reduces the chance of something getting scratched or dinged. Thank me later.

The entire installation process was enormously aided by having an Abba ProLift in the garage, if for no other reason than to keep me from sitting and crawling on the hard floor. But getting the bike up to a more comfortable working vantage was a big help and made the job much easier.

Good luck, and have fun!

Attachments

• Ilium_FrontGuard.Left.01.jpg
    Ilium_FrontGuard.Left.01.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Ilium_FrontGuard.Left.02.jpg
    Ilium_FrontGuard.Left.02.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Ilium_FrontGuard.Left.03.jpg
    Ilium_FrontGuard.Left.03.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Ilium_FrontGuard.Right.01.jpg