• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2022 gsa final drive oil

Then it should be free. There’s a law pertaining to that dealer’s claim of could void warranty. The law is there to keep manufacturers from stating they’ll void a warranty solution because, for instance, you must purchase their specific branded air to fill your tires or their $51 for 500ml final drive oil when other comparable viscosity is available from source at 1/5 the cost. Your dealer up to date on laws and regulations?
They know all about Magnuson–Moss but they say most riders aren't going to go court over it :nono

Exactly why I paid the price for a quart to use while my bike was in warranty. Dealer has never seen my bike and never will. I only fussed over the gear oil because I did not know if the FD failures still plagued BMW and wanted no wiggle room from the dealer if so.

Well I did do a software update for 50 bucks about 6 months ago.

Yep
It's not that big a deal to me.

BMW cars - at least here in Canada - come with included standard oil change/service for the warranty period.

I'm much of the same thought process. I have been using BMW branded oil for my F850GSA while it was under warranty (and may continue to do so now) just to ensure that I had no issues. I was not so much thinking of the warranty itself, but of ensuring the products used met the requirements for the bike to ensure longevity of the mechanical components. I have not had success finding a suitable oil that meets the specs at a price any better than the BMW stuff.

As for final drives, my GSA is a chain so not a problem, but my new RT will be a shaft as is my current GT. The issue in the past with FD failures was never an issue of the oil since the large bearing that was the source of failure is not lubricated by the oil being outside the main seal. It does seem that the reports of failures has dropped off from a few years back so one might conclude BMW has possibly sourced better quality or better spec bearings to fix that issue. With that in mind, I don't think using an oil different from the reccomended product is an issue at all so long as it meets the required specs.
Yep

The issue in the past with FD failures was never an issue of the oil since the large bearing that was the source of failure is not lubricated by the oil being outside the main seal.

Au contrair! That depends on the year and model. 1100 and 1150 models had the roller bearing and deep groove ball bearing, and the pinion bearings lubricated with the gear oil. And in fact the use of out-of-spec 80w140 gear oil did contribute to final drive failures. The BMW tried the lubed for life unvented nonsense, and then did a greased bearing for a while.

Back