• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

120,000 Miles and new free final drive shaft

tohau

I crossed the 120,000-mile mark today. In addition, I got a new free final drive shaft from BMW. :):):):love:

You might want to check out the BMW service bulletin INFO-337390 if your bike has more than 37,500 miles with your current final drive shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_3094.jpeg
    IMG_3094.jpeg
    822.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
My 2022 Triple black RT has 86k and an appointment next week to get the driveshaft replaced thru the replacement bulletin . When I made the appointment the service manager told me that BMW is paying for driveshaft inspections at the 12k intervals. He said they remove the shaft and inspect it, If it has over 36k on it they replace it. If it has less miles and is bad they replace it' Either way they lube the splines and reseal the accordion boot also. All at no cost to the owner. But now that I think of it the final drive fluid needs to be removed to swing the drive down to remove the shaft. I wonder if they pay for the fluid, crush washer and o-ring

I didn't have to pay anything. I assume fluid change and all other required parts are part of the deal.

I didn't have to pay anything. I assume fluid change and all other required parts are part of the deal.
The SI bulletin covering driveshaft replacements does not include changing FD lube as it is not necessary to do so in order to change out the driveshaft. If you didn’t get charged for gear lube I’d not assume the change was performed.

Best,
DeVern

@gtrider: You are correct. I called my local BMW dealership. They confirmed that the final drive oil was not changed during the final driveshaft replacement. Thank you for pointing it out. It didn't matter to me since I just replaced the final drive oil last fall.

The maintenance schedule for all wethead R bikes (model year 2023 and older) was recently changed. At 12,000-mile intervals, the driveshaft is TESTED (it's not removed for a visual inspection). It's the same test that was performed on the wethead GS/GSA/RT-P in accordance with a still-ongoing service campaign (rear wheel removed, a special hub is attached and then spun with a cordless drill, while hooked up to BMW computer. It senses vibrations. If it fails the test, the driveshaft is replaced). That Service Information Bulletin overlaps with the more recent bulletin concerning changes to the maintenance schedules for ALL R-series wetheads. Test driveshaft at the 12K intervals, and regrease the splines. Automatically replace driveshaft at 60,000 miles of driveshaft use (which may not be the same as your odometer reading, if your driveshaft was previously replaced).

The maintenance schedule for all wethead R bikes (model year 2023 and older) was recently changed. At 12,000-mile intervals, the driveshaft is TESTED (it's not removed for a visual inspection). It's the same test that was performed on the wethead GS/GSA/RT-P in accordance with a still-ongoing service campaign (rear wheel removed, a special hub is attached and then spun with a cordless drill, while hooked up to BMW computer. It senses vibrations. If it fails the test, the driveshaft is replaced). That Service Information Bulletin overlaps with the more recent bulletin concerning changes to the maintenance schedules for ALL R-series wetheads. Test driveshaft at the 12K intervals, and regrease the splines. Automatically replace driveshaft at 60,000 miles of driveshaft use (which may not be the same as your odometer reading, if your driveshaft was previously replaced).
Are you saying, in the future BMW shops will do the driveshaft test every 12,000 miles and also remove the driveshaft so they can lube both ends?

I just downloaded the updated Rider's Manual for the R1250RS

1712939345848.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you saying, in the future BMW shops will do the driveshaft test every 12,000 miles and also remove the driveshaft so they can lube both ends?
If the dealership in question has actually read the applicable Service Information Bulletin (33 04 23, dated December 12, 2023, and Entitled "Info: K5X Driveshaft Maintenance Schedule Change"), it tells dealers that the maintenance schedules for ALL R-series wethead bikes (K5x models from model year 2023 and older) have been changed. The updated schedules for those bikes now call for the driveshaft to be tested ("ISTA-led test method") every 12,000 miles, and the splines greased (the Bulletin does not say if it's both ends, or just the rear end). At 36,000 miles (of driveshaft use), the driveshaft is to be replaced. These new maintenance requirements are all covered by warranty. if the driveshaft fails the test at one of the 12,000-mile intervals, it is to be replaced then. Here is a direct quote from the Bulletin: "The replacement check and regrease of the cardan shaft (driveshaft) is covered by warranty and is offered to all customers that own a K5x motorcycle model year 2023 and older and unlimited miles or general service behavior of the customer."

Those buying a 2024 model R-series bike, and beyond, should be aware that, since these requirements are spelled out in their respective Rider's Manual, they are NOT covereed by warranty. I would suggest that: 1) some (many?) dealers will not know this, or appreciate its implications, and 2) even if they do, a sales person is not too likely to point this out to a prospective buyer. I very recently bought a new 2023 1250GS, and the sales person knew nothing about this (I don't think he was being disingenuous). So, there are cost implications for buyers of new R-series bikes. Ongoing testing, and replacement of the driveshaft, will be borne by the customer. That said, I assume that, If a driveshaft on a 2024 R1300 GS fails a test at 24,000 miles (and the bike's still in warranty) that its replacement will be covered by warranty. By the way, the replacement interval for the driveshaft on a 1300GS is 48,000 miles, and not the 36,000 miles for K5X models.

Reactions: lee
By the way, the replacement interval for the driveshaft on a 1300GS is 48,000 miles, and not the 36,000 miles for K5X models.
In another post it was said the R1300GS owner would have to pay for the driveshaft replacement at 48,000 miles.

In another post it was said the R1300GS owner would have to pay for the driveshaft replacement at 48,000 miles.
Correct, as it’s now listed as a maintenance item in the rider’s handbook and the service schedule.

Best,
DeVern

Reactions: lee
Can I ask if the new driveshaft is a better design? Do the new bikes have this improved design?
IOW, I am thinking of buying a new 2024 RT. Is BMW going to just replace the driveshaft with the same at a pre-determined mileage? This seems crazy to me.

Can I ask if the new driveshaft is a better design? Do the new bikes have this improved design?
IOW, I am thinking of buying a new 2024 RT. Is BMW going to just replace the driveshaft with the same at a pre-determined mileage? This seems crazy to me.
2024 is still the 1250 motor. They will test every 12k miles, replace if warranted at that service, and replace every 36k miles of use. I.e. - if it fails a previous test, it will get replaced, which then starts the 36k mile clock over. The "new" shaft may be slightly different, but they are still replacing it every 36 (and the price of the shaft is considerably less than before, so it may be the same shaft with a lowered price and new part number.) From what I've heard, lubricating the ends is an optional service that is not paid for, but test and/or replace is FOC.

Back