• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cardan (drive shaft) Inspection - Service Bulletin Thoughts

droveto

I searched the forum for 10 minutes and surprisingly couldn't find a thread on this yet. I'm sure it exists, so hopefully someone can help me find it.

If not, I'm curious how many are getting the suggested service per the bulletin (test and replace if it fails test) vs making drive shaft and spline lubing inspection as part of their regular maintenance. I'm reading some people are making it a routine to inspect and lube the rear every 12k and the front every 24k. I've also read that the dealer installed duck bill valves can sometimes fall out.

I have a 16 GS that doesn't do stream crossings. I've reviewed the procedure for shaft replacement and it seems simple enough. I'm tempted to skip the service bulletin, order a new drive shaft (they are around $200) and simply make this part of my routine maintenance. I only have 20k miles on my bike and I'm guessing it will pass the test and thus it won't get the splines lubed and it will mean I'll be doing that work anyway. I'm not one to pay $165/hour for them to work on my bike. I have the test scheduled for early June but am considering cancelling.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Just a little bit of info here as well : https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/r1200-1250gs-service-action-0033130000-install-vent-valve-in-driveshaft-housing.1574119/

My personal experience - "14 GSA, purchased in "18 with 12K miles, decided to inspect at 16K miles in prep for a ride to Alaska, found front U-Joint rusted to the Transmission Output Shaft. Took lots of penetrating oil, and a lot of slide hammer action to remove shaft.

Next check was at 34K when I thought I felt some vibration while pushing around in the garage, removed shaft and discovered front joint was quite notchy. The shaft was replaced, covered under my Aftermarket Extended Warranty.

Traded '14 on a new (Factory Demo bike with 12 miles) '21 GSA in December '21.
No issues to date, I have 25 K miles on the bike and am waiting until I accrue 37 K before going in for the recall.

Just a little bit of info here as well : https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/r1200-1250gs-service-action-0033130000-install-vent-valve-in-driveshaft-housing.1574119/

My personal experience - "14 GSA, purchased in "18 with 12K miles, decided to inspect at 16K miles in prep for a ride to Alaska, found front U-Joint rusted to the Transmission Output Shaft. Took lots of penetrating oil, and a lot of slide hammer action to remove shaft.

Next check was at 34K when I thought I felt some vibration while pushing around in the garage, removed shaft and discovered front joint was quite notchy. The shaft was replaced, covered under my Aftermarket Extended Warranty.

Traded '14 on a new (Factory Demo bike with 12 miles) '21 GSA in December '21.
No issues to date, I have 25 K miles on the bike and am waiting until I accrue 37 K before going in for the recall.

Thanks for this info.
My biggest worry is tackling this myself and then not being able to get the drive shaft out if it's corroded. I've been through major rains, snow and some foot deep puddles.
But I can't say I love or trust my local shop very much...
And I've been reading that thread. It's a monster of a thread with so much info in so many directions.

Back